moderated Since most recent Jaws update

kevin meyers

Hello,

The other day I updated Jaws to the most recent version of Jaws 2021. For some reason out of the clear blue I hear a ding, Jaws says “I didn’t hear anything” and then dings again. I was in a MS word document. Has anyone else had this happen or am I hallucinating?

Thanks,

Kevin

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Yes Kevin, I had the same effect while talking on skype, sharky just felt I was talking to him.

Cheers,

Takis

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 5:37 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Since most recent Jaws update

Hello,

The other day I updated Jaws to the most recent version of Jaws 2021. For some reason out of the clear blue I hear a ding, Jaws says “I didn’t hear anything” and then dings again. I was in a MS word document. Has anyone else had this happen or am I hallucinating?

Thanks,

Kevin

Richard Turner

It sounds like you are invoking the voice assistant.

That’s what Jaws says when it cannot hear your command.

If you are not intentionally trying to use the new Voice Assistant, open the jaws menu with insert+j and open the utilities menu.

The first item is the Voice Assistant.

Richard, in the U.S.

"You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space, that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."

"Why, what did she tell you?"

"I don't know, I didn't listen."

-- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 7:37 AM

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Madison Martin

I’ve had it happen too, and it’s kind of annoying.

Sent: January 8, 2021 9:37 AM

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Alan Robbins

Kevin,

I have not encountered this. Sounds like Sharky is attempting to listen for a voice command. Personally, I have not played with that feature.

Alan

Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 10:37 AM

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Tom Behler

Richard:

Is the voice assistant only available for the Windows 10 operating system?

I’m asking because while I found the voice assistant options very easily in the Jaws utilities menu on my Windows 10 computer, I can’t find those options on my older Windows 7 PC after installing the January Jaws 2021 update.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: Since most recent Jaws update

If you are not intentionally trying to use the new Voice Assistant, open the jaws menu with insert+j and open the utilities menu.

Richard, in the U.S.

"You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space, that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tom. I'm not Richard, but yes, Voice Assistant is only available on Windows 10 operating systems.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 2:18 PM

Richard:

I’m asking because while I found the voice assistant options very easily in the Jaws utilities menu on my Windows 10 computer, I can’t find those options on my older Windows 7 PC after installing the January Jaws 2021 update.

Tom Behler

Richard, in the U.S.

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Tom Behler

Thanks for the confirmation, Bill.  This is good to know, and hopefully will benefit others.

I use my older Windows 7 laptop for a very limited number of applications, and will probably retire it eventually.

I keep it running for those limited purposes, and as a backup if nothing else.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 5:43 PM

Hi, Tom. I'm not Richard, but yes, Voice Assistant is only available on Windows 10 operating systems.

Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 2:18 PM

Richard:

Tom Behler

Richard, in the U.S.

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Brian Zolo

Hey there, Tom, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio the voice assistant is only on windows ten.  I found that out when I first installed jaws 2021.  Have a great weekend!  BZ! 

Sent: Friday, January 08, 2021 5:18 PM

Richard:

Tom Behler

Richard, in the U.S.

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Andrew Summers

I have, not only that, I get a crackle when opening office apps.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Andrew

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Robbins
Sent: 08 January 2021 15:50

Kevin,

I have not encountered this. Sounds like Sharky is attempting to listen for a voice command. Personally, I have not played with that feature.

Alan

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Michael Massey

Hi, all.  Ever since updating to the latest update to Jaws 2021, whenever I launch Outlook 365 on my desktop pc and my laptop pc from the desktop shortcuts, I hear a click when Outlook opens.  When Outlook opens I hear a click when the words opening Outlook is spoken.  I tried a Jaws repair on both machines and the click sill persists.  This anomaly is not annoying but it is noticeable.  I am running Windows 10 h2 pro on my desktop pc and Windows 10 h2 home edition on my laptop.  I am using my preferred Eloquence synthesizer.  Thanks. 

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

I hear this also.Also almost every time I type an o I hear a click.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 8:12 AM

Hi, all.  Ever since updating to the latest update to Jaws 2021, whenever I launch Outlook 365 on my desktop pc and my laptop pc from the desktop shortcuts, I hear a click when Outlook opens.  When Outlook opens I hear a click when the words opening Outlook is spoken.  I tried a Jaws repair on both machines and the click sill persists.  This anomaly is not annoying but it is noticeable.  I am running Windows 10 h2 pro on my desktop pc and Windows 10 h2 home edition on my laptop.  I am using my preferred Eloquence synthesizer.  Thanks. 

Shirley Tracy

I thought it was my computer. I’ve been hearing a click now and then, not necessarily with mail only but with several programs I’m using. It isn’t annoying, but it can be distracting when you’re wondering if something is wrong. What I’m hearing sounds more like a tiny pop or tap.

(I would have never admitted it until others mentioned it.)

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 8:34 AM

Shirley Tracy

Let me clarify: I hear the “pop” or “tap” whenever I am in a Microsoft app, primarily Word documents, Mail, and such. I’m using Office 2016.

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 9:17 AM

I thought it was my computer. I’ve been hearing a click now and then, not necessarily with mail only but with several programs I’m using. It isn’t annoying, but it can be distracting when you’re wondering if something is wrong. What I’m hearing sounds more like a tiny pop or tap.

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

kevin meyers

I hear the same!

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 8:17 AM

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

kevin meyers

I just turned it off.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Robbins
Sent: Friday, January 8, 2021 9:50 AM

Kevin,

Alan

Hello,

Thanks,

Kevin

Dan Longmore

Just a thought, I do not have this issue and also I do not have “sharkie” enabled.  Do others with this problem have “sharkie” enabled and if so could there be a connection between this and other “Sharkie” issue that are  occurring with MS Word?

Dan

Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 9:32 AM

Let me clarify: I hear the “pop” or “tap” whenever I am in a Microsoft app, primarily Word documents, Mail, and such. I’m using Office 2016.

Shirley Tracy

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

Alan Robbins

Hopefully those experiencing this are or have contacted FS so it can be fixed.

Alan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Longmore
Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 9:58 AM

Just a thought, I do not have this issue and also I do not have “sharkie” enabled.  Do others with this problem have “sharkie” enabled and if so could there be a connection between this and other “Sharkie” issue that are  occurring with MS Word?

Dan

Shirley Tracy

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

Loy <loyrg2845@...>

I have voice assist disabled and still have the clicks.

Sent: Saturday, January 9, 2021 9:58 AM

Dan

Shirley Tracy

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

Tom Behler

Michael:

I think this is due to the new Voice Assistant feature in Jaws 2021.

If you are not going to use it, and want to disable it, go to the utilities menu.  You’ll find it at the top of list of items in that menu.  Just un-check it, and the issue should be resolved, although I have to say that I still hear occasional clicks from Jaws even with the item unchecked.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Massey