moderated Silenzio 2.0 is Out

Mike B

Hi All,

I ran updates last night and discovered that Silenzio 2.0 was out, so I downloaded and installed it.  I don't know where Windows-10 got this update from, but if Win-10 found it, it must be available.  I couldn't find a download link for it so here's a Dropbox link for it.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Emre Rencber

What is Silenzio?

Hi All,

I ran updates last night and discovered that Silenzio 2.0 was out, so I
downloaded and installed it. I don't know where Windows-10 got this update

from, but if Win-10 found it, it must be available. I couldn't find a
download link for it so here's a Dropbox link for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehzz68m7o9q6qjy/Silenzio_2.0_setup.zip?dl=1

Stay safe and take care. Mike.

Mike B

Silenzio is a small utility that will continuously play a WAV file which will not let your computer's soundcard sleep.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

> I ran updates last night and discovered that Silenzio 2.0 was out, so I
> downloaded and installed it.  I don't know where Windows-10 got this update
>
> from, but if Win-10 found it, it must be available.  I couldn't find a
> download link for it so here's a Dropbox link for it.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehzz68m7o9q6qjy/Silenzio_2.0_setup.zip?dl=1
>

> Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Emre Rencber

Thank you very much for information. I need this program.

Silenzio is a small utility that will continuously play a WAV file which
will not let your computer's soundcard sleep.

Stay safe and take care. Mike.

I ran updates last night and discovered that Silenzio 2.0 was out, so I
downloaded and installed it. I don't know where Windows-10 got this
update

from, but if Win-10 found it, it must be available. I couldn't find a
download link for it so here's a Dropbox link for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehzz68m7o9q6qjy/Silenzio_2.0_setup.zip?dl=1

Stay safe and take care. Mike.

I thought it also does other things, do you know what the update has added or changed?

Silenzio is a small utility that will continuously play a WAV file which will not let your computer's soundcard sleep.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

> I ran updates last night and discovered that Silenzio 2.0 was out, so I
> downloaded and installed it.  I don't know where Windows-10 got this update
>
> from, but if Win-10 found it, it must be available.  I couldn't find a
> download link for it so here's a Dropbox link for it.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehzz68m7o9q6qjy/Silenzio_2.0_setup.zip?dl=1
>

> Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Tom Behler

Mike:

Do you know of any advantage to downloading and installing the update?

I have an earlier version of silenzio here, and it seems to work just fine.

Thanks!

Tom Behler

Silenzio is a small utility that will continuously play a WAV file which will not let your computer's soundcard sleep.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

> I ran updates last night and discovered that Silenzio 2.0 was out, so I
> downloaded and installed it.  I don't know where Windows-10 got this update
>
> from, but if Win-10 found it, it must be available.  I couldn't find a
> download link for it so here's a Dropbox link for it.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehzz68m7o9q6qjy/Silenzio_2.0_setup.zip?dl=1
>

> Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

There is nothing like going to the source:  https://stefankiss.sk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=30

His pages are in Slovak, and there is no English translation for his full site yet available, but Google Translate appears to do a very good job with this page, which includes a comprehensive description of the program as well as a "What's New" change log:

2.0

- Supported all audio formats
- Warning if audio file is missing
- Prohibited running of multiple instances
- Saved last used audio device
- Minor fixes for small errors.

            ~Brian Vogel

Richard Turner

Have any of you tried to just search for silenzio on the web?

It’s amazing how many things come up including the Italian to English translation.

I know I looked into this before and someone sent a link, but could someone send the link again and perhaps say more about why this is helpful?

I’m not aware of my sound card getting tired enough to take a nap, but I could just be ignoring it.

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 10:37 AM, Richard Turner wrote:
Have any of you tried to just search for silenzio on the web?
-
Yes, and I know that we were typing at the same time.  The programmer's pages are in Slovak with a really incomplete English translation.  There are also supposed to be Italian and German translations of the site, but speaking neither, I didn't look to see if either is any more complete than the English translation.

Silenzio source page:  https://stefankiss.sk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=30

As you've suggested, it's always best to do a web search to find the actual source for a given program rather than using secondary sources whenever possible.

            ~Brian Vogel

Richard Turner

Thanks Brian, you must have sent your message while I was sending mine.

When Edge says something about translating the page, how do you tell it to do that?

I hit alt+y which is the usual response but that did nothing.

Thanks,

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 10:42 AM, Richard Turner wrote:
When Edge says something about translating the page, how do you tell it to do that?
-
Just tried it in Edge Dev and you get a pop-up dialog from Edge and the button is labeled Translate, which is most likely why ALT+Y is not working, as a "Yes" is not an option.

I happened to use Google Translate in Brave, and I keep the button for that function on my browser controls to the left of the menu button.

I'm using NVDA at the moment and focus doesn't seem to throw to that pop-up dialog and even when I get in to it via mouse, things are not being announced, so it appears that there are accessibility issues with Edge's built-in translation.

            ~Brian Vogel

Richard Turner

Thanks again Brian,

I’m using Jaws but I suspect the following will work with NVDA as well.

For you and others who want to know how to get Edge to do the translation, hit alt+d to bring up the address bar when you are on the page you want translated.

Tab to show translation options, which for me shows up just after enter immersive reader.

Hit the spacebar on that and you will get your options.  The first, of course, is translate page.

I hit that and then went to the info about Silenzio 2.0 and copied this:

Silenzio 2.0

Program to keep your sound card on standby

Description

Silenzio is used to significantly speed up your computer's response when working with voice output. Acceleration is achieved by permanently playing back the silence in the background, which keeps the sound card in operation all the time. All of today's internal or external sound cards, as well as other devices such as various USB speakers, USB headphones, headphones connected via bluetoth and others, work on the principle that if they don't play anything right now, they go into a kind of economical mode from which they wake up when they get the sound to play. From an ordinary user's point of view, this is not a problem, because with standard sounds such as music or operating system sounds, waking up to a sound card is negligible. The situation is different when working with voice output, when we can receive information almost every time you press the keyboard (switching between windows, moving in a document, browsing a web page). These situations cause the sound card to be permanently put to sleep and awake by voice output, creating a tiny but rather noticeable latency when working quickly. This issue is addressed by Silenzio, which, by constantly playing silence in the background, does not allow the card to go into saving mode.

This problem was previously addressed by Galop's Soundfix program. This was at a time when various USB and wireless audio devices were not yet widespread, and computers were working with one - usually built-in - sound card. When USB sound cards came to market, it was regularly the case that if a user connected a USB headset or speaker to the computer, Soundfix continued to keep the original sound card awake and the effect was thus lost. My friend Peter Nedorost therefore contacted the programme makers asking them to update the program and adapt it to the current facilities. Since Galop replied that it would not continue to develop the program, Peťo Nedorost contacted me asking me to write such a program. It wasn't challenging and the program soon saw the light of day.

What's new

2.0

- Supported all
audio formats -
Warning if audio
file is missing
- Disabled run of multiple instances - Saved last used audio device - Minor minor bug fixes.

1.0

First version

Download

Silenzio is a freeware program and can be downloaded for free here

You can also find my programs on Facebook under the kissoft brand. Click
on the facebook.com/kissoftsoftware and give like.

HTH,

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 10:42 AM, Richard Turner wrote:

When Edge says something about translating the page, how do you tell it to do that?

-
Just tried it in Edge Dev and you get a pop-up dialog from Edge and the button is labeled Translate, which is most likely why ALT+Y is not working, as a "Yes" is not an option.

I happened to use Google Translate in Brave, and I keep the button for that function on my browser controls to the left of the menu button.

I'm using NVDA at the moment and focus doesn't seem to throw to that pop-up dialog and even when I get in to it via mouse, things are not being announced, so it appears that there are accessibility issues with Edge's built-in translation.

            ~Brian Vogel

Richard Turner

BTW, after trying out Silenzio, I uninstalled it almost immediately.

It made my sound card worse and had its own bit of distortion that it introduced.

I only tried it out because all these Jaws users were talking about it.

But the built in feature in Jaws called: “Avoid speech cut off when using Bluetooth headphones or some sound cards” works perfectly for me.

It is found in the Jaws settings center, by pressing insert+6 on the number row.

Then control+shift+d to open the default settings,

Arrow down once to user closed, right arrow to open it, then down arrow until you get to Avoid speech cut off when using Bluetooth headphones or some sound cards and if it is not checked, press the spacebar and tab to OK and hit enter, and if it asks you if you want to save the settings, of course, say yes.

HTH,

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com

Silenzio is a small utility that will continuously play a WAV file which will not let your computer's soundcard sleep.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

> I ran updates last night and discovered that Silenzio 2.0 was out, so I
> downloaded and installed it.  I don't know where Windows-10 got this update
>
> from, but if Win-10 found it, it must be available.  I couldn't find a
> download link for it so here's a Dropbox link for it.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehzz68m7o9q6qjy/Silenzio_2.0_setup.zip?dl=1
>

> Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Keep in mind that if you have Jaws 2021 sending "silent noise" to the soundcard is now built into Jaws. I know one person posted that for him this apparently did not work as well as Silenzio, but I know of many others who say it works just as well.

Silenzio is a small utility that will continuously play a WAV file which will not let your computer's soundcard sleep.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

> I ran updates last night and discovered that Silenzio 2.0 was out, so I
> downloaded and installed it.  I don't know where Windows-10 got this update
>
> from, but if Win-10 found it, it must be available.  I couldn't find a
> download link for it so here's a Dropbox link for it.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehzz68m7o9q6qjy/Silenzio_2.0_setup.zip?dl=1
>

> Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Mike B

No, I sure don't.  This came down when downloading the latest cumulative update and I didn't notice any type of text file stating what was updated in this new version.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

I thought it also does other things, do you know what the update has added or changed?

Silenzio is a small utility that will continuously play a WAV file which will not let your computer's soundcard sleep.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

> I ran updates last night and discovered that Silenzio 2.0 was out, so I
> downloaded and installed it.  I don't know where Windows-10 got this update
>
> from, but if Win-10 found it, it must be available.  I couldn't find a
> download link for it so here's a Dropbox link for it.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehzz68m7o9q6qjy/Silenzio_2.0_setup.zip?dl=1
>

> Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Mike B

Hi Tom,

No I don't as of yet.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Silenzio is a small utility that will continuously play a WAV file which will not let your computer's soundcard sleep.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

> I ran updates last night and discovered that Silenzio 2.0 was out, so I
> downloaded and installed it.  I don't know where Windows-10 got this update
>
> from, but if Win-10 found it, it must be available.  I couldn't find a
> download link for it so here's a Dropbox link for it.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehzz68m7o9q6qjy/Silenzio_2.0_setup.zip?dl=1
>

> Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Mario

for anyone interested, here's the direct download to save a copy:

http://www.stefankiss.sk/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=112

I ran updates last night and discovered that Silenzio 2.0 was out, so I
downloaded and installed it.  I don't know where Windows-10 got this
update from, but if Win-10 found it, it must be available.  I couldn't
find a download link for it so here's a Dropbox link for it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehzz68m7o9q6qjy/Silenzio_2.0_setup.zip?dl=1
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehzz68m7o9q6qjy/Silenzio_2.0_setup.zip?dl=1>
Stay safe and take care. Mike.

Mario

au contraire, there is an English translation of his website:

http://www.stefankiss.sk/modules.php?name=english&menulang=1

There is nothing like going to the source:
https://stefankiss.sk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=30
<https://stefankiss.sk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=30>

His pages are in Slovak, and there is no English translation for his
full site yet available, but Google Translate appears to do a very good
job with this page, which includes a comprehensive description of the
program as well as a "What's New" change log:

2.0

- Supported all audio formats
- Warning if audio file is missing
- Prohibited running of multiple instances
- Saved last used audio device
- Minor fixes for small errors.

*/There are many who labor under the gross misapprehension that the
Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon
which great things have been and still will be built. Many things that
are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are
allowed under it./*

            ~Brian Vogel

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 12:06 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
I know one person posted that for him this apparently did not work as well as Silenzio, but I know of many others who say it works just as well.
-
And if you're someone who hasn't tried "the JAWS method" it's definitely worth trying just to see if you can be rid of another process running constantly in the background.

It's really a matter of what works, plain and simple, and the fewer things needed to achieve a given end, the better.

            ~Brian Vogel

Bill White

This is an English translation, but it doesn't contain the links to download the programs he created.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net