From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sabrina Markel
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 5:27 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: shutting down my laptop with jaws?

Hello,

I’ve just received a laptop with Jaws 2021.

I can’t figure out how to shut down the laptop.

Kevin Minor

Hi.

If the laptop has Windows 10 on it, CTRL+ESC  won’t bring up a shutdown menu.

To shut down a Windows 10 laptop, do the following.

Hit WINDOWS+D to get to the desktop.

Press ALT+F4 to get to the shutdown options.

Hope this helps.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

If that doesn’t work, press Control + Escape and Tab once and arrow down to Power, press enter and using the arrow key find shutdown.

I’ve just received a laptop with Jaws 2021.

I can’t figure out how to shut down the laptop.

Madison Martin

Go to the desktop (windows m)

Then press alt f4

Jaws will ask you what you want the computer to do, it’s a combo box and shut down should be selected. If it is then press enter and your laptop will shut down. If shut down isn’t selected then press the spacebar and use the up/down arrows until you hear shut down and press enter on it.

I’ve just received a laptop with Jaws 2021.

I can’t figure out how to shut down the laptop.

Hi,

If this is Windows 10, the faster way is Windows+X, then U twice.

Cheers,

Joseph

Jaws will ask you what you want the computer to do, it’s a combo box and shut down should be selected. If it is then press enter and your laptop will shut down. If shut down isn’t selected then press the spacebar and use the up/down arrows until you hear shut down and press enter on it.

I’ve just received a laptop with Jaws 2021.

I can’t figure out how to shut down the laptop.

Mario

the official way is to press the windows key and x at the same time, and then press u and then u to shutdown, r for restart.

From: Frank Ventura [mailto:frank.ventura@littlebreezes.com]
Date: Thursday, September 23, 2021, 3:20 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>

frank.ventura@littlebreezes.com <mailto:frank.ventura@littlebreezes.com>

<http://groups.io> <britechguy=gmail.com@groups.io
<mailto:britechguy=gmail.com@groups.io>> wrote:

[...]

*/It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between
thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly
different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the
power to connect the seemingly unconnected./*

~ William Plomer

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 10:10 AM, Mario wrote:
hi Frank, could you please tell us how to do this?
-
Open Control Panel, Power Options, Choose what the power button does link and tweak away with the dropdown boxes for When I press the power button.

    ~ William Plomer

Mario

control+escape is the old school equivalent of pressing the windows key, therefore Milton is correct.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 11:17 AM, Mario wrote:
control+escape is the old school equivalent of pressing the windows key
-
It has been so long since I've encountered a keyboard without a Windows Key I had forgotten this.  Not that I think I'm likely to ever use it again, but thanks to both you and Milton for a trip down memory lane (and a valid alternative to the Windows Key if you don't have one or that key goes wonky).

    ~ William Plomer

Kevin Minor

Hi.

In Windows 10, CTRL+ESC took me to the search box. Hitting DOWN ARROW gave me a list of all the apps. TABbing didn't take me to a shutdown option.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly

control+escape is the old school equivalent of pressing the windows key,
therefore Milton is correct.

If that doesn't work, press Control + Escape and Tab once and arrow down
to Power, press enter and using the arrow key find shutdown.

If that doesn't work, press Control + Escape and Tab once and arrow down
to Power, press enter and using the arrow key find shutdown.

I've just received a laptop with Jaws 2021.

I can't figure out how to shut down the laptop.

Kevin Minor

Hi again.

I did finally find the Shutdown option with CTRL+ESC. I had to hit DOWN ARROW five times to get to it, so it's why I didn't find it right away.

Just letting folks know.

Kevin, Valerie and Jilly