Topics

moderated Showing the leader in a table of contents

Ann Byrne

In word 2016 I have set tab stops for a table of contents--6 inches, right aligned, .... as the leader. When I fill in information the titles align correctly, the page numbers align, but there are no little dot dot dots between the title and the beautifully aligned page number. Does JAWS just not display the leader? do I need to do something funky with the Word 2016 settings besides selecting the leader?

Thx,

Ann

Van Lant, Robin

Hi,
I just did a table of content earlier using that first button on the References ribbon. I picked the first automatic option in the list. I have enough vision to see that the leading periods are there, even though JAWS is not reading them. Here is my speech history as I read down a portion of this table of contents:

Table of contents  link  end Table of contents  Internship Seekers 1  Table of contents 
link Sara Young 1  Table of contents 
link Linda Brandt 1  Table of contents 
link Amanda Thomas 1  Table of contents 
link Full-time position seekers 2  Table of contents 

Not sure if your table of contents is the same formatting, but hoepufly this helps. I did nothing to customize it from that first option on the Table of Contents creation button.

Robin

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 4:22 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Showing the leader in a table of contents

WARNING: This email originated externally. Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.

In word 2016 I have set tab stops for a table of contents--6 inches, right aligned, .... as the leader. When I fill in information the titles align correctly, the page numbers align, but there are no little dot dot dots between the title and the beautifully aligned page number. Does JAWS just not display the leader? do I need to do something funky with the Word 2016 settings besides selecting the leader?

Thx,

Ann

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Ann Byrne

Thanks for this. I really believe that JAWS used to read the leader ... probably in Word 2002. shows how long it has been since I tried this.
With too little vision to check for dots, I would stinkin' like to be told if they are there.

At 07:45 PM 2/16/2021, you wrote:
Hi,
I just did a table of content earlier using that first button on the References ribbon. I picked the first automatic option in the list. I have enough vision to see that the leading periods are there, even though JAWS is not reading them. Here is my speech history as I read down a portion of this table of contents:

Table of contents linkend Table of contents Internship Seekers 1 Table of contents
linkSara Young 1 Table of contents
linkLinda Brandt 1 Table of contents
linkAmanda Thomas 1 Table of contents
linkFull-time position seekers 2 Table of contents

Not sure if your table of contents is the same formatting, but hoepufly this helps. I did nothing to customize it from that first option on the Table of Contents creation button.

Robin

WARNING: This email originated externally. Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.

Thx,

Ann

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.â€&#65533;). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Van Lant, Robin

I see your point Ann, but I can also appreciate that I don’t' want to hear that extra verbiage when arrowing through the contents list. I wonder if there is a toggler of some keystroke that would list the formatting.

Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 7:06 PM
Subject: Re: Showing the leader in a table of contents

Thanks for this. I really believe that JAWS used to read the leader ... probably in Word 2002. shows how long it has been since I tried this.
With too little vision to check for dots, I would stinkin' like to be told if they are there.
Hi,
I just did a table of content earlier using that first button on the
References ribbon. I picked the first automatic option in the list. I
have enough vision to see that the leading periods are there, even
though JAWS is not reading them. Here is my speech history as I read
down a portion of this table of contents:

Table of contents linkend Table of contents Internship Seekers 1 Table
of contents linkSara Young 1 Table of contents linkLinda Brandt 1
Table of contents linkAmanda Thomas 1 Table of contents linkFull-time
position seekers 2 Table of contents

Not sure if your table of contents is the same formatting, but hoepufly
this helps. I did nothing to customize it from that first option on the
Table of Contents creation button.

Robin

WARNING: This email originated externally.
Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.

In word 2016 I have set tab stops for a table of
contents--6 inches, right aligned, .... as the leader. When I fill in
information the titles align correctly, the page numbers align, but
there are no little dot dot dots between the title and the beautifully
aligned page number. Does JAWS just not display the leader? do I need
to do something funky with the Word 2016 settings besides selecting the
leader?

Thx,

Ann

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential
information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any
transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any
of this information. If you have received this communication in error,
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its
entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer,
solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to
buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not
intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction.
Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or
other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or
accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital
Markets Inc.
accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any
views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily
of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities
representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets
Inc.
Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association
(“KeyBank N.A.â€&#65533;).
Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets
Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or
services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No
Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 09:05 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
-
It is entirely possible that, way back in the versions of Word available up through 2003, that the leaders were actually implemented as a series of period characters of sufficient length, but now they're not.

I haven't done this, or played with it, but Word could now be using a graphic of dots of the appropriate width based on the length of the table item and the page number.

There is probably a way to get something said, but the fact that you know things align correctly is a very, very strong suggestion that "something's in there" to force the alignment of the page numbers to actually occur.  It would drive me mad were it to announce something like, "Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot," for the number of dots used in a given leader for each and every leader.  If you actually have a way of knowing that the leader function is activated, you can be assured it's there.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

Ann Byrne

You can set JAWS to speak only three repeated characters, no matter how many there are, so you wouldn't have to hear all of them.

At 10:01 AM 2/17/2021, you wrote:
I see your point Ann, but I can also appreciate that I don’t' want to hear that extra verbiage when arrowing through the contents list. I wonder if there is a toggler of some keystroke that would list the formatting.

Hi,
I just did a table of content earlier using that first button on the
References ribbon. I picked the first automatic option in the list. I
have enough vision to see that the leading periods are there, even
though JAWS is not reading them. Here is my speech history as I read
down a portion of this table of contents:

Table of contents linkend Table of contents Internship Seekers 1 Table
of contents linkSara Young 1 Table of contents linkLinda Brandt 1
Table of contents linkAmanda Thomas 1 Table of contents linkFull-time
position seekers 2 Table of contents

Not sure if your table of contents is the same formatting, but hoepufly
this helps. I did nothing to customize it from that first option on the
Table of Contents creation button.

Robin

WARNING: This email originated externally.
Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.

In word 2016 I have set tab stops for a table of
contents--6 inches, right aligned, .... as the leader. When I fill in
information the titles align correctly, the page numbers align, but
there are no little dot dot dots between the title and the beautifully
aligned page number. Does JAWS just not display the leader? do I need
to do something funky with the Word 2016 settings besides selecting the
leader?

Thx,

Ann

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential
information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any
transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any
of this information. If you have received this communication in error,
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its
entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer,
solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to
buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not
intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction.
Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or
other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or
accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital
Markets Inc.
accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any
views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily
of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities
representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets
Inc.
Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association
(“KeyBank N.A.â€&#65533;).
Securities pes products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets
Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or
services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No
Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.â€&#65533;). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

Ann Byrne

But you don't know. What if you hit the wrong key? To ensure the integrity of my work, I want a way to know what I have written.

At 10:42 AM 2/17/2021, you wrote:
On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 09:05 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:

-It is entirely possible that, way back in the versions of Word available up through 2003, that the leaders were actually implemented as a series of period characters of sufficient length, but now they're not.I haven't done this, or played with it, but Word could now be using a graphic of dots of the appropriate width based on the length of the table item and the page number.There is probably a way to get something said, but the fact that you know things align correctly is a very, very strong suggestion that "something's in there" to force the alignment of the page numbers to actually occur. It would drive me mad were it to announce something like, "Dot, Dot, Dot, Dot," for the number of dots used in a given leader for each and every leader. If you actually have a way of knowing that the leader function is activated, you can be assured it's there.--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042 Â

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.

~ André Gide

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 01:28 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
You can set JAWS to speak only three repeated characters
-
Which is great, if what's being used is a repeated character set.

Believe it or not, I'm not questioning your choice, as what any given one of us wants/likes will differ.  I'm just pointing out that how this is actually implemented "under the hood" matters as far as what's exposed to the screen reader to read.

I also have absolute trust that when a given feature is turned on, and I'm using it, and all evidence is that it's working, that it is indeed working.  There are many times that I have no desire to have anything announced, because it's auditory clutter.  It's just a difference of desired behavior.
--

~ André Gide

That should have been, "something announced," not, "anything."  I can't imagine not wanting to hear anything at all; it kinda defeats the purpose of a screen reader!
--

~ André Gide

Mike B

Hi Robin,

You can change your speech and sound scheme on the fly to get formatting.  Press, Jaws key, Alt + S, to open the schemes list.  Note: Take notice of which scheme is highlighted so you can return to it.
up / down arrow to the scheme you want and press enter to switch.  You might have to experiment with the schemes to see which one will do what you want but, you have several choices.  You can even modify the schemes if necessary to get exactly what you want.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 8:01 AM

Thanks for this.  I really believe that JAWS used to read the leader ... probably in Word 2002.  shows how long it has been since I tried this.
>Hi,
>I just did a table of content earlier using that first button on the
>References ribbon.  I picked the first automatic option in the list.  I
>have enough vision to see that the leading periods are there, even
>though JAWS is not reading them.  Here is my speech history as I read
>down a portion of this table of contents:
>
>Table of contents linkend Table of contents Internship Seekers 1 Table
>of contents linkSara Young 1 Table of contents linkLinda  Brandt 1
>Table of contents linkAmanda Thomas 1 Table of contents linkFull-time
>position seekers 2 Table of contents
>
>Not sure if your table of contents is the same formatting, but hoepufly
>this helps. I did nothing to customize it from that first option on the
>Table of Contents creation button.
>
>Robin
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
>Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 4:22 PM
>To: main@jfw.groups.io
>Subject: Showing the leader in a table of contents
>
>WARNING: This email originated externally.
>Exercise caution. Think before clicking links or opening attachments.
>
>
>In word 2016 I have set tab stops for a table of
>contents--6 inches, right aligned, .... as the leader.  When I fill in
>information the titles align correctly, the page numbers align, but
>there are no little dot dot dots between the title and the beautifully
>aligned page number.  Does JAWS just not display the leader?  do I need
>to do something funky with the Word 2016 settings besides selecting the
>leader?
>
>Thx,
>
>Ann
>
>
>
>
>
>
>This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential
>information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No
>confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any
>transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
>strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any
>of this information. If you have received this communication in error,
>please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its
>entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.
>
>This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer,
>solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to
>buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not
>intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction.
>Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or
>other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or
>accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital
>Markets Inc.
>accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any
>views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily
>of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.
>
>The sender of this communication is a licensed securities
>representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets
>Inc.
>Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association
>(“KeyBank N.A.â€&#65533;).
>Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets
>Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.
>
>127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114
>
>If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or
>services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No
>Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.
>
>

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 01:31 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
But you don't know.
-
Well, I'd argue that.

If you toggle on a feature for leader, and the feature is toggled on, the leader is there.

It's no different than using a list in word, once you've turned on a list, and I'll use a bulleted list as the example, if I'm told I'm in that list when working I don't need the screen reader to tell me, for every item, what bullet shape is being used after I've initially chosen or set them.  They're just there, and I know they're there because I am using the list feature.

If there were no way of knowing whether a feature had been activated or not, then you have no idea what's there.  But when a feature that has a defined behavior is activated, and you're using it, the whole idea is so that you don't have to double check what it automates - it's just there.  And, again, what you stated at the outset about alignment allows you to infer that it's there, as if it weren't, the page numbers would certainly not align, whether a leader were in use or not.  The table of contents feature reliably handles formatting for the various sections per the settings you've chosen.

--

~ André Gide

Ann Byrne

And you realize that you can cheat ... and I can't (LOL). And although I'm a pretty good typist, I make mistakes that I want to know I made.

At 12:33 PM 2/17/2021, you wrote:
On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 01:28 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
You can set JAWS to speak only three repeated characters

-Which is great, if what's being used is a repeated character set.Believe it or not, I'm not questioning your choice, as what any given one of us wants/likes will differ. I'm just pointing out that how this is actually implemented "under the hood" matters as far as what's exposed to the screen reader to read.I also have absolute trust that when a given feature is turned on, and I'm using it, and all evidence is that it's working, that it is indeed working. There are many times that I have no desire to have anything announced, because it's auditory clutter. It's just a difference of desired behavior.--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042 Â

~ André Gide

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 03:38 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:
And although I'm a pretty good typist, I make mistakes that I want to know I made.
-
And I'm a mediocre to OK one, and love the parts I don't have to check because I'm not typing them.

You are right, though, in that I can cheat in that I can see, but I also trust the automatic formatting features of Word, too, and when I tutor, once I have confidence the student actually knows how to activate or deactivate the various bits they need, I encourage them "to have faith" that the stuff is there that the feature should put there.

I'd have a fit, though, if the things I actually must enter myself were not to be announced, as I never have anything near to complete faith in my own typing!
--

~ André Gide