moderated shortcuts keys for navigating Listbox

Mark

Are there shortcut keys for navigating a listbox, such as going to the first or last item? Or go to the Nth item?

Hi Mark,

The first search result I saw when I did a Google search for the exact phrase in your subject "shortcut keys for navigating a list box",  gave me the following:

#973 – Keyboard Shortcuts for a ListBox

DECEMBER 17, 2013 1 COMMENT

You can use any of the following keyboard shortcuts when interacting with a ListBox at run-time (this assumes that the ListBox has keyboard focus):

Up/Down arrow keys – move to previous /next item

Page Up / Page Down – move to item on previous / next page (based on size of ListBox)

Home / End – move to first / last item in last

Enter single character – move to next item that begins with that character

Enter sequence of characters – move to next item that begins with that sequence

If the SelectionMode is Single or Extended

Moving to another item selects it (and unselects previous)

Spacebar – select the current item (if not already selected)

Ctrl + Spacebar – unselect the current item

If the SelectionMode is Multiple

Moving to another item does not select it

Spacebar toggles current item as selected/unselected

If the SelectionMode is Extended

Holding down the Shift key while moving to another item adds to selection

Best regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2021 5:46 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: shortcuts keys for navigating Listbox

Are there shortcut keys for navigating a listbox, such as going to the first or last item? Or go to the Nth item?

Cohn, Jonathan

Hello,
assuming you are talking about a web based listbox, one can not gaunt any specific keystrokes. Most listboxes are custom widgets where the keystrokes being used have to be defined by the web programmer. You can tell that something is a custom listbox, because the JAWS cursor will switch to either forms mode or PC cursor as soon as you try and interact with the listbox.

In Native Windows programming, one can rely on the keybindings mentioned, but on the web I would expect very little definition.