Topics

moderated Sharing audio sound Zoom with JAWS2020

Shai

Hello,
I am a teacher of students with visual impairment. I would like to be
able to share both the sound and video from my computer in Zoom so
that my students can watch a movie I will be showing but I do not want
the sound of my JAWS (JAWS 2020) to come through.
How can I still use speech but not have the sound coming through?
I do have both bluetooth headphones and a headset but I am thinking
that anything shared on Zoom down the audio channel will pass unless
there is some intervention taken on my part.
Thank you in advance for any responses.

JM Casey

Hi.
Not positive on this but, I think you would need to have JAWS running through a separate soundcard/interface. You can probably buy a cheap USB one for this purpose. Not quite sure if Zoom will recognise the different output, though...you'll have to do some experimenting.
Maybe you could mute JAWS for the duration of the video?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shai
Sent: July 11, 2020 4:35 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Sharing audio sound Zoom with JAWS2020

Hello,
I am a teacher of students with visual impairment. I would like to be able to share both the sound and video from my computer in Zoom so that my students can watch a movie I will be showing but I do not want the sound of my JAWS (JAWS 2020) to come through.
I do have both bluetooth headphones and a headset but I am thinking that anything shared on Zoom down the audio channel will pass unless there is some intervention taken on my part.

Tom Behler

Shai:

I use a USB headset when doing Zoom meetings, so Jaws won't be heard by other meeting participants.

If you use the USB headset, and make the headset your default audio device when the headset is plugged in, Jaws should play through the headphones. This way, noone will hear Jaws, even if your mic is unmuted.

I would think this should be true even if you are sharing your screen with others, but I'm hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm actually facing the same challenge with some teaching I'm going to be doing within the next month, so will be interested in other responses we get to this thread.

Tom Behler

Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2020 4:35 PM

Hello,
I am a teacher of students with visual impairment. I would like to be able to share both the sound and video from my computer in Zoom so that my students can watch a movie I will be showing but I do not want the sound of my JAWS (JAWS 2020) to come through.
I do have both bluetooth headphones and a headset but I am thinking that anything shared on Zoom down the audio channel will pass unless there is some intervention taken on my part.

JM Casey

Problem is Shai wants to share audio and not just video. That means JAWS can't be on the same output as allt he other audio, and Zoom has to know the difference.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: July 11, 2020 4:47 PM
Subject: Re: Sharing audio sound Zoom with JAWS2020

Shai:

I use a USB headset when doing Zoom meetings, so Jaws won't be heard by other meeting participants.

If you use the USB headset, and make the headset your default audio device when the headset is plugged in, Jaws should play through the headphones. This way, noone will hear Jaws, even if your mic is unmuted.

I would think this should be true even if you are sharing your screen with others, but I'm hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm actually facing the same challenge with some teaching I'm going to be doing within the next month, so will be interested in other responses we get to this thread.

Tom Behler

Hello,

Tom Behler

Good point.

Maybe Muting is the best choice for that situation.

As I said, I'm in exactly the same place as Shai.

I'm trying to figure out how to show some videos myself in some ham radio teaching I'm going to be doing with Zoom in early August.

If I figure ut something other than just muting myself during the video, I'll let everyone know.

Always open to other suggestions in the meantime.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2020 4:49 PM

Problem is Shai wants to share audio and not just video. That means JAWS can't be on the same output as allt he other audio, and Zoom has to know the difference.

Shai:

Tom Behler

Hello,

JM Casey

If Zoom can be configured to ignore the soundcard JAWS is on, that's what you'd want to do. You would need a separate interface, like a USB soundcard maybe (I don't know if a Bluetooth headset alone can be set up this way; mine is slave to my Realtek audio)...

Sent: July 11, 2020 4:53 PM

Good point.

Maybe Muting is the best choice for that situation.

As I said, I'm in exactly the same place as Shai.

I'm trying to figure out how to show some videos myself in some ham radio teaching I'm going to be doing with Zoom in early August.

If I figure ut something other than just muting myself during the video, I'll let everyone know.

Always open to other suggestions in the meantime.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2020 4:49 PM

Shai:

Tom Behler

Hello,

Richard

Hi Shai,
From within the Jaws interface, select the soundcard option in Utilities.
Select the headset for Jaws.
In the volume control options, set your computer soundcard as the system
default.
With this configuration, Jaws speech should come thru the headset,
and all other Windows audio should come thru the computer soundcard.
This should accomplish what you are wanting to do.

HTH,
Rick

----- Original Message -----
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2020 4:34 PM

Hello,
I am a teacher of students with visual impairment. I would like to be
able to share both the sound and video from my computer in Zoom so
that my students can watch a movie I will be showing but I do not want
the sound of my JAWS (JAWS 2020) to come through.
I do have both bluetooth headphones and a headset but I am thinking
that anything shared on Zoom down the audio channel will pass unless
there is some intervention taken on my part.