Topics

moderated Shairing Dictionary files

Tony Sohl

Hi, can you shair dictionary files with other jaws users? I have some that I have created and I wanted to shair them with other users.

I don't see why not.  They are plain text files, one can copy one supplied by someone else and paste those contents on to the end of their own JAWS dictionary, or, if one has no dictionary yet, just place it in the correct folder.

           ~ André Gide

Soronel Haetir

The one thing to keep in mind is that the jaws dictionary facility is
actually somewhat limited, in that only 2000 entries can be active for
each of a default and application-specific dictionaries. I've tried
getting them to increase that limit (it may have made sense in very
early versions with limited hardware but not so much any longer) but
have not had any success.

I don't see why not.  They are plain text files, one can copy one supplied
by someone else and paste those contents on to the end of their own JAWS
dictionary, or, if one has no dictionary yet, just place it in the correct
folder.

*One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the
shore for a very long time.*

~ André Gide

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi Soronel,

you wrote.

I've tried getting them to increase that limit (it may have made sense in very
early versions with limited hardware but not so much any longer) but
have not had any success.
I think sometimes JAWS has trouble in dealing with too much numbers of strings. This leads to a crash on my computer some times. Perhaps this is a reason FS won't increase the number of dictionary entries, only a guess ...

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 01:04 PM, Udo Egner-Walter wrote:
Perhaps this is a reason FS won't increase the number of dictionary entries, only a guess ...
-
Along with the fact that most users will never come close to 2000 entries in all their dictionaries combined. let alone one, if the samples supplied to me in response to my solicitation of sample dictionaries is any accurate indication, and I have little reason to believe it is not.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi Brian,

you wrote.

Along with the fact that most users will never come close to 2000 entries in all their dictionaries combined. let alone one, if the samples supplied to me in response to my solicitation of sample dictionaries is any accurate indication, and I have little reason to believe it is not.
Personally I think it's better to have the possibility to make more than 2000 entries and not use them all instead of reaching the limit and being frustrated about this. if it's possible to increase the number, why not? But as said earlier I don't know if there's a problem of JAWS dealing with such huge numbers of strings.

Udo

Udo,

           And I don't disagree that an unlimited number of entries would be preferable.  That being said, there are tons of priorities that must be set, and if there have been very, very few requests to go beyond 2000 entries because it's nust not frequently needed, that would be a very low priority change to make.

           The, "Why not?," is generally answered with another question, "Are there other more important things to fix or add that impact way more users first?"  If the answer to that second question is, "yes," then the other stuff (whatever it may be) gets bumped down on the To Do list.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Mario

after a new version of JAWS has been installed, there are numerous entries for 6 languages other than English that are preinstalled and ready for use. not having counted them, I'd imagine that these entries are inclusive of the 2000 limit. so, it very well can be that one can reach the limit relatively quickly by adding a few hundred.