moderated Setting search parameters in windows 10

Kimber Gardner

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to set the search parameters under windows 10 with Jaws?

Ever since the last windows update, my searches are going to the web
rather than searching the files on my laptop as a first option.

For example, when I type "downloads" in the search box, the results
are not from my laptop but from the internet.

I appreciate any help.

Kim

--
Kimberly

Bill White

Hi, Kim. Before doing anything radical, I would try the troubleshooter for searches.

1. Open Control Panel.
2. Press the letter I until the screen reader says Indexing Options. Press ENTER on that.
3. TAB about five times, until you hear, Troubleshoot search and indexing Link, and press ENTER.
4. In the resulting list of check boxes, check number two, which should read,
Files, folders, apps, or settings don't appear in results.
5. Press the "Next Button.
6. Press the "Try these repairs as an Administrator button
7. See if search is including the files, folders and options on your computer now, instead of just the web.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

Can anyone tell me how to set the search parameters under windows 10 with Jaws?

Ever since the last windows update, my searches are going to the web
rather than searching the files on my laptop as a first option.

For example, when I type "downloads" in the search box, the results
are not from my laptop but from the internet.

I appreciate any help.

Kim

--
Kimberly

To be perfectly honest, I'd give up on setting the defaults, and use the search operators Windows Search gives you to limit your searches.

If you wish to limit to files on your machine, you can prefix the search with either files: or docs:
You must have the colon and there must be a space after that, but then start entering your search terms and the results will be limited to files/documents.  For folders, if you want to limit the search to folders alone, type folders: in front of the query.

    ~ William Plomer

mike mcglashon

So Mr. Brian:

May I ask this?

Using your example from the previous email,

If I wanted to search for the word “brian” in a folder with some files in it,

Would I type:

“content: ‘brian’”?

(of course without the quotes and apostrophes);

And, if I only wanted to see all the txt files in a folder,

Do I type:

“files: ‘*.txt’”?

(again of course without the quotes and apostrophes)?

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

To be perfectly honest, I'd give up on setting the defaults, and use the search operators Windows Search gives you to limit your searches.

If you wish to limit to files on your machine, you can prefix the search with either files: or docs:
You must have the colon and there must be a space after that, but then start entering your search terms and the results will be limited to files/documents.  For folders, if you want to limit the search to folders alone, type folders: in front of the query.

    ~ William Plomer

Mike,

I am not quite sure I understand what you mean by your first example, as the default windows indexing includes both file names and contents which can get messy as far as results go.  That's one reason I far prefer the Everything Search tool (with its default settings) when I want to search on file name versus file contents.

There also seems to be some crossing in your message between Windows Search and a search in File Explorer, which while there is some overlap, are not the same things.

I always think of Windows Search as being "global across the scope," which in the case of the files: operator is all indexed files in all indexed folders.

The main thing I use Windows Search for is to find files based on content on the rare occasions, and they do occur, when I can't for the life of me remember the correct file name or part of that file name, but can remember some distinctive phrase or word that is in the file I'm looking for.

    ~ William Plomer

Mark

Bill,

This is great information.

I will definitely save it just in case I ever have such a problem.

Thank you,

Mark