Topics

moderated Setting Place Marker in Word not Workingq

Vaughn Brown

Hello,

I am conducting a research paper thus reading extended literature. When I hit control+windows+k to mark a spot within the document I get “setting place marker in beginning of document is not valid”. But I am on page 72 therefore I am nowhere near the beginning of the document. I even placed the cursor at the beginning of the sentence to mark.

JFW 2020, Win. 10, MS Word from Office 365.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Chris Hill

Hmmm, just this file or everywhere.  I have a file with a couple hundred pages in it, and I just tried the experiment.  I'm also running word from office 365 and the place mark and return both worked fine.

CH

On 10/29/2020 18:11, Vaughn Brown wrote:

Hello,

I am conducting a research paper thus reading extended literature. When I hit control+windows+k to mark a spot within the document I get “setting place marker in beginning of document is not valid”. But I am on page 72 therefore I am nowhere near the beginning of the document. I even placed the cursor at the beginning of the sentence to mark.

JFW 2020, Win. 10, MS Word from Office 365.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Adrian Spratt

I’ve encountered this phenomenon in the same repeated, very specific situation. I open a protected file and unprotect it. then I start reading and decide to set a placemarker at a certain point. I get that verbalization you quote. The solution for me is to alt-tab to another window, typically Outlook, and alt-tab back into the document. Then all is well.

I am conducting a research paper thus reading extended literature. When I hit control+windows+k to mark a spot within the document I get “setting place marker in beginning of document is not valid”. But I am on page 72 therefore I am nowhere near the beginning of the document. I even placed the cursor at the beginning of the sentence to mark.

JFW 2020, Win. 10, MS Word from Office 365.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Ann Byrne

You need to use bookmarks in Word. Placemarkers only work on the internet.

At 06:11 PM 10/29/2020, you wrote:

Hello,

I am conducting a research paper thus reading extended literature. When I hit control+windows+k to mark a spot within the document I get “setting place marker in beginning of document is not validâ€&#65533;. But I am on page 72 therefore I am nowhere near the beginning of the document. I even placed the cursor at the beginning of the sentence to mark.

JFW 2020, Win. 10, MS Word from Office 365.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Sent from <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>;Mail for Windows 10

mike mcglashon

You do get one temporary placemarker though;
In word;

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon
Email: Michael.mcglashon@comcast.net
You need to use bookmarks in Word. Placemarkers only work on the internet.
At 06:11 PM 10/29/2020, you wrote:

Hello,

I am conducting a research paper thus reading extended literature. When
I hit
control+windows+k to mark a spot within the
document I get “setting place marker in beginning of document is not
validâ€&#65533;. But I am on page 72 therefore I am nowhere near the
beginning of the document. I even placed the cursor at the beginning of
the sentence to mark.

JFW 2020, Win. 10, MS Word from Office 365.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Sent from <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>;Mail for Windows 10

Adrian Spratt

Ann, I use a placemarker all the time in Word. The limitation I've found is that I can't set it at the end of a selection and work backwards, which I can on webpages. Also, I use only temporary placemarkers in Word. It sounds like permanent ones won't work, but it's never even occurred to me to use them in Word. I have permanent ones all over the Internet!

You need to use bookmarks in Word. Placemarkers only work on the internet.
At 06:11 PM 10/29/2020, you wrote:

Hello,

I am conducting a research paper thus reading extended literature. When
I hit
control+windows+k to mark a spot within the
document I get “setting place marker in beginning of document is not
validâ€&#65533;. But I am on page 72 therefore I am nowhere near the
beginning of the document. I even placed the cursor at the beginning of
the sentence to mark.

JFW 2020, Win. 10, MS Word from Office 365.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Sent from <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>;Mail for Windows 10

Ann Byrne

I didn't know you could do that.

You can set actual bookmarks, though. Alt-n, then k is the Word command. Name the bookmark. When you want to move to it, use ctrl-g, go to, which places the cursor on the page number item of a list. move to the bookmark item, which will display (guess what!) the bookmarks by name, and whack enter on the one you want. It is Word, not JAWS, and beautifully reliable.

At 10:53 PM 10/29/2020, you wrote:
Ann, I use a placemarker all the time in Word. The limitation I've found is that I can't set it at the end of a selection and work backwards, which I can on webpages. Also, I use only temporary placemarkers in Word. It sounds like permanent ones won't work, but it's never even occurred to me to use them in Word. I have permanent ones all over the Internet!

You need to use bookmarks in Word. Placemarkers only work on the internet.
At 06:11 PM 10/29/2020, you wrote:

Hello,

I am conducting a research paper thus reading extended literature. When
I hit
control+windows+k to mark a spot within the
document I get “setting place marker in beginning of documement is not
validâ€&#65533;. But I am on page 72 therrefore I am nowhere near the
beginning of the document. I even placed the cursor at the beginning of
the sentence to mark.

JFW 2020, Win. 10, MS Word from Office 365.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Sent from
<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>;Mail for Windows 10

Adrian Spratt

Thank you, Ann. I'll work with this.

You need to use bookmarks in Word. Placemarkers only work on the internet.
At 06:11 PM 10/29/2020, you wrote:

Hello,

I am conducting a research paper thus reading extended literature.
When I hit
control+windows+k to mark a spot within the
document I get “setting place marker in beginning of documement is
not validâ€&#65533;. But I am on page 72 therrefore I am nowhere
near the beginning of the document. I even placed the cursor at the
beginning of the sentence to mark.

JFW 2020, Win. 10, MS Word from Office 365.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

Vaughn

Sent from
<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>;Mail for Windows 10

David Kingsbury

Hi all,

Temporary placemarkers are used in Word for extended text selection. Press Control Windows K at the start of a selection and press Insert Spacebar together and then M at the end of the selection to highlight the extended text. It is very useful for highlighting large chunks of text and serves a different function than bookmarks, and as others said, you can only do a single temporary placemarker in Word while you can make them permanent on the web.

I am having the same problem. For some reason, doing the extended text selection works for me in some documents and not others. In those where it does not work, Alt tabbing away from and back to it does not help. I notice this with both JAWS 2020 and the 2021 beta.

David

mike mcglashon

Okay,
When I do an alt-n then k,
It asks me for a bookmark name, then I tab over to two radio buttons,
One is name and the other is location.
I assume that if I pick location,
It will show me the bookmarks listed by location in the ctrl-g window.
However, when I do ctrl-g, shift tab to the combo box and arrow down to bookmark,
Then tab to bookmark name edit/combo,
Nothing shows up there.
What did I do wrong in this process?