moderated Setting Function Keys to NormalGood morning!

Mike Pietruk

A strange issue. I somehow accidentally changed what 3 of my function
keys do. f5, instead of refreshing the screen, goes to Yahoo search. f6
brings the pc to the logon screen. Hit the return and things return to
normal except, of course, the f6, which of course has uses in Jaws, cannot
be employed for that purpose.
F8 prepares the pc for shutdown.

What do I do to get these keys to do what they are intended to do for most
users.

Thanks for any guidance.

Bill White

Hi, Mike. What is the make of your computer. Each computer has different
ways of turning off "Media Keys" or "Hotkeys". If it's a Dell, press the FN
key, which is usually just to the right of the lefthand CONTROL key plus the
ESCAPE key. If it's another brand, you may be able to use a software program
resident on the computer to change the behavior of the function keys. Some
Lenovo computers will respond to the same steps I gave above, press the FN
key plus ESCAPE, and see if that changes the behavior of the function keys.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

A strange issue. I somehow accidentally changed what 3 of my function
keys do. f5, instead of refreshing the screen, goes to Yahoo search. f6
brings the pc to the logon screen. Hit the return and things return to
normal except, of course, the f6, which of course has uses in Jaws, cannot
be employed for that purpose.
F8 prepares the pc for shutdown.

What do I do to get these keys to do what they are intended to do for most
users.

Thanks for any guidance.

Mr. White has asked the question that must be answered:  Make and model of the computer?

There are some makes, Lenovo springs to mind, where the changes to turn off media keys/action keys/hot keys (or whatever that maker calls them) can be done outside of BIOS/UEFI and without sighted assistance.

For most, and unless something has changed I know for HP, it must be done in BIOS/UEFI and requires sighted assistance.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

Mike Pietruk

Bill

Thanks that also works on my HP desktop.

Just a note of warning -- at least for me, it also adjusted some other
settings. Initially, I couldn't get the run command to function and Edge
and Chrome did some balking.
So, other defaults may get triggered which you will have to adjust.

Appreciate the quick help as this was driving me bonkers.

On Thu, 12 May 2022, Bill White wrote:

[...]

Lori Lynn

Bill,

Let me also add my words of thanks. I bought a Dell last summer and this has been a constant irritation! I never in a million years would have thought of that key combination. Thanks again!

Lori Lynn