moderated Select boxes

Paula Waby

Hi all

I’m working with someone at the moment who has got a new job with its own database. We are muddling through with Jaws but it is a bit of a challenge as each page seems to be set out differently. Some work with headings, others have links or say they are links but they aren’t. Yesterday we came across something Jaws called a select box. Has anyone come across something like that? Apparently you can select multiple choices but it wasn’t set up where it would read each choice and you could space on it if you wanted to select it. In fact we couldn’t get it to read anything at all but we wre told there were 10 choices inside. We tried arrowing and entering and tabbing. Can anyone tell me what a select box is and is there a way to navigate in them? Other parts of the database had combo boxes which worked fine. I hadn’t come across a select box before that I can recall.

Cheers

Paula.

Paula Waby

ACATS Trainer

Blind Low Vision NZ

Kāpō, Matarehu Aotearoa

P: 03 466 4244 ext: 4244 | E: pwaby@...

Corner of Hillside Road & Law Street

Dunedin 9012

Read about our recent win at NZ Primary Healthcare Awards 2021

Privacy Disclaimer: This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary, and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and erase this e-mail message immediately.

If the database is is using a Carbon interface, have a look through:  https://www.carbondesignsystem.com/components/select/accessibility/

More detail is really necessary about the front end and what it's designed with.  Custom scripting is very often necessary for custom systems, particularly if the front end (or user interface, if you prefer) is not web-based.

           ~ André Gide