Topics

moderated Searching the JAWS Group Archive

Since I mentioned this earlier this morning, I decided to modify one of my other tutorials to be specific to the JAWS group.  So, when you "know in your bones" that a question you're about to ask is very likely to have been asked and answered, possibly multiple times, consider taking a cruise through the group archive before asking it again.

Searching the Group Archive

Option 1 – Using the Groups.io Archive Search Page

1.        Navigate to the archive search page:  https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/search

2.      Enter your search terms in the Search edit box:  [term1 term2 term3] without the square brackets, as an example.

3.       Activate the Search button.

4.      Results will be returned as a list of messages.  If you prefer to have it presented as a list of topics, then:

a.      Activate the Tools button.

b.      Check the Collapse Topics checkbox.  You’re probably done, but for additional options see step 4c, otherwise, go to step 5.

c.       If you so desire there are additional options, a dropdown that allows you to limit the date range for the messages, which defaults to Any Time, a checkbox for Exclude signatures, which will omit signature text from the search, and a Clear button, which will set all of the previously mentioned additional options back to their defaults:  Any time and both checkboxes unchecked.

5.      Use your screen reader’s option for showing a list of links.  Find the next page link in that list, then what immediately follows that is a list of messages (or topics) each of which will be immediately followed by the link to the member profile of the member that wrote the message or initiated the topic.  Down arrowing through allows you to review the results you’re actually interested in very quickly.  The key is getting yourself to that next page link before starting to down arrow.

6.      Once you open a message or topic, the easiest way to get past all of the navigation controls is to open a list of headings (or use the H single letter navigation to get there).

Option 2 – Using the web search engine of your choosing

1.        Navigate to the page of the search engine of your choosing, e.g., Google, DuckDuckGo, Yahoo, etc.

2.      In the edit box for your search terms, put in the keywords (or quote enclosed phrases) you’re looking for first.  Immediately follow those with exactly this, site:jfw.groups.io/g/main/    That tells the search engine to limit itself to searching the site that immediately follows the site: operator (no space after that colon).  Run the search.  You can also, if you prefer, put the site: information as the first search term; it doesn’t matter if it’s at the beginning, in the middle, or at the end, just that it’s present.

3.       Use your screen reader’s option for showing a list of headings, as all web search engines I have used return the individual web pages returned as a list of headings.  Review those headings to review what’s been returned.  You can also use the single letter navigation command for headings (typically H) to jump from heading to heading [result to result].

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Step-by-step instructions, in MS-Word format, downloadable from:  Searching the JAWS Group Archive

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Leo

Hi again Brian,

thank you for your help, I downloaded your tutorial few minutes ago and I will have it in mind for

future inquires.

Best,
   Leo
On 3/11/2020 10:06 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

Stan Bobbitt

Thank you Brian. I just downloaded it myself.