Topics

moderated Searching my computer contents

Andrew J. LaPointe

Hello, with my windows 7 computer, I would be able to press the windows key
and type a search word or string. Now, with windows 10, jpressing windows
doesn't do that. If I press windows key with the letter s, it brings
searching on the web and all kinds of things not on my computer. What is
the proper way to search contents on my computer? Thank you.

Andrew J. LaPointe, President
Friends of the Salem Council on Aging
34 Raymond Ave.
Salem, MA. 01970
Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185

Talking Information Center

Sandra Streeter

Ctrl-e

Sandra

The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind -

(Emily Dickinson)

Hello, with my windows 7 computer, I would be able to press the windows key
and type a search word or string. Now, with windows 10, jpressing windows
doesn't do that. If I press windows key with the letter s, it brings
searching on the web and all kinds of things not on my computer. What is
the proper way to search contents on my computer? Thank you.

Andrew J. LaPointe, President
Friends of the Salem Council on Aging
34 Raymond Ave.
Salem, MA. 01970
Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185

Talking Information Center

Mario

Sandra, please expand on when exactly control+e is pressed and any info you can add to answer Andrew's question mor thoroughly.

Hello, with my windows 7 computer, I would be able to press the windows key
and type a search word or string. Now, with windows 10, jpressing windows
doesn't do that. If I press windows key with the letter s, it brings
searching on the web and all kinds of things not on my computer. What is
the proper way to search contents on my computer? Thank you.

Andrew J. LaPointe, President
Friends of the Salem Council on Aging
34 Raymond Ave.
Salem, MA. 01970
Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185

Talking Information Center

.

Mario

if you know the folder that contains the file that will produce a match for the contents you are searching for, navigate to and open that folder, shift+tab to a search field, and past or type the contents you are looking for and press enter. tab once to the results that will show the most likely matches.

I don't know if there is a more global way.

Hello, with my windows 7 computer, I would be able to press the windows key
and type a search word or string. Now, with windows 10, jpressing windows
doesn't do that. If I press windows key with the letter s, it brings
searching on the web and all kinds of things not on my computer. What is
the proper way to search contents on my computer? Thank you.

Andrew J. LaPointe, President
Friends of the Salem Council on Aging
34 Raymond Ave.
Salem, MA. 01970
Home: 978-745-4289 cell: 978-578-0185

Talking Information Center

.

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 11:23 AM, Sandra Streeter wrote:
Ctrl-e
That only throws you into the search box if you're in File Explorer, which is not the situation being described.

There are several possible options here.  My preferred one, if you tend to search by file name and file name alone, is to use the Everything Search by voidtools rather than Windows Search.  It's both easier and faster and entirely accessible.

If you wish to limit the native Windows Search strictly to files with a given extension, you can use the ext: operator, so hitting the Windows Key, entering "lion* ext:docx", without the quotes, would return only MS-Word files whose name begins with lion or what contain lion in the file content.  There are scads of different operators, and they can be combined.  See:
https://www.howtogeek.com/school/learning-windows-search/lesson5/
or https://thegeekpage.com/windows-10-advance-search-tricks-cheatsheet/
or any number of other tutorials you can find via web search.  I do not know whether the tables shown in the second of the above tutorials are actual tables or screen shots, but there are many resources regarding the "prefix operators" as I'll call them that limit the scope of the search.  I just found this Microsoft Query Syntax page that gets into the prefix operators you can use.

But, if searching by file name, I prefer Everything Search.  I only use Windows Search when I can't recall part of the file name but can somehow remember something distinctive about the file content.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Andrew J. LaPointe

Thank you, I will work with this as it is good to be able to find various files.  Again, Thank you.