moderated Seamlessly switching from JAWS to NVDA on the fly

Rahul Bajaj

Hi,

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how
it deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process
to do so is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning
off jaws, turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA
on and off?

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Glenn / Lenny

Both have the option to shut down without confirmation, so the respective shutdown hotkeys and loading hotkeys would be quite seamless.

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how
it deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process
to do so is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning
off jaws, turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA
on and off?

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

JM Casey

Hi.

As these programmes are not designed to work together, there's no toggle or anything, if that’s' what you're after.
But why are you going to the desktop? That does seem like an unnecessary step.
Both programmes have a keystroke that is meant to unload them.
I suppose if you really wanted you could make some kind of script to unload one and load the other. Then maybe you could put it on the desktop and set up a hotkey for it. But it seems like more trouble than it's worth when all you have to do is hit a couple of keystrokes.

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how it deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process to do so is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning off jaws, turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA on and off?

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Rahul Bajaj

Sorry. What are their shutdown and loading hotkeys? I am not aware of these.

Rahul

On 04/08/2021, JM Casey <jmcasey@teksavvy.com> wrote:
[...]

Richard Turner

Jaws default hotkey to close Jaws is insert+f4. There is a setting that you can make it so there is no confirmation, it just goes away. Otherwise, there will be an OK to hit confirming you want to close Jaws.

The hotkey for NVDA is insert+q. That too has an option to have it close without confirmation.

Normally, the default hotkey to start Jaws is Control+alt+j though that is customizable.
NVDA defaults to Control+alt+n, but again, tha tis customizable.

You need never go to the desktop to accomplish what you want.
.

Richard

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how it deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process to do so is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning off jaws, turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA on and off?

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

JM Casey

Screenreader-key plus f4 for jaws. Screenreader key + q for nvda. By default you have to press enter in both programmes after executing the keystroke to confirm that you want to quit the screen-reader. I know you can change this in NVDA; not sure about JAWS (someone above seemed to suggest you could, though)

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how
it deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process
to do so is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning
off jaws, turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA
on and off?

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India
and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Madison Martin

Jaws:
Jaws key plus f4
Control alt j

NVDA:
NVDA key plus q

Hope this helps!!
Control alt n

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how
it deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process
to do so is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning
off jaws, turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA
on and off?

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India
and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

JM Casey

Also you may be aware of this already, but your message seems to suggest you might not be -- if you have both programmes on your desktop you can assign hotkeys to load them. NVDA does this by default; the keystroke is usually ctrl-alt-n. A lot of people like JAWS to have one too and they usually use ctrl-alt-j. JAWS too may set one up by default. I know there used to be a lot of fuss around hotkeys and how a new JAWS instalation would remove the old hotkey. I think this may have been tweaked by FS due to peoples' discontent but I haven't gotten a new JAWS version in a few years so, I'm not sure.

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how
it deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process
to do so is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning
off jaws, turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA
on and off?

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India
and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Rahul Bajaj

Great. I am able to use 3 out of the 4 that Richard mentioned. Just
not control+alt+j to turn jaws on.

[...]

Check to see if there is a desktop shortcut. This is what allows you to create a hotkey. You can do this yourself by going into the properties of the shortcut (press alt-enter or use the context menu).

[...]

Literally. The only thing the desktop is useful for for a blind person is
creating hotkeys.

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how it
deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process to do so
is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning off jaws,
turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA on
and off?

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and
Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Hi Richard, I might be wrong here, but I don't think the Jaws shortcut has a default shortcut associated with it. Of course it's easy to do by going to the properties of the shortcut on the desktop and assigning either Alt + Control + J or, my personal preference, Control + Shift + J.

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how it deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process to do so is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning off jaws, turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA on and off?

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Richard Turner

You are right.
They dropped it I think with either Jaws 2021 or 2020. There were too many complaints about Jaws not respecting the hotkey setting when updating and such.

I forgot about that because I always just go ahead and recreate control+alt+j when needed.

Thanks,

Richard

[...]

Boy, you had me worried there, I have already been wrong twice this year and it's only just August! Had I been wrong with this there would have been no more room if I wanted to end this year with no more than 3 times 😊

Web site: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7C2a17969765274551884208d956ba1213%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637636179431704163%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=cGMqAO068gdu2%2FBD1kIctv2HuaN2GKGY%2FB9inB9FyWY%3D&amp;reserved=0

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how it deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process to do so is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning off jaws, turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA on and off?

Warmly,

Rahul

Rahul Bajaj

Senior Resident Fellow,

Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Life in Six Dots

Hi all,

It is easy to load and unload both screen readers once you have them setup
correctly.

By default both JAWS and NVDA have a keyboard shortcut to shut them down:

JAWS: Insert + F4
NVDA: Insert + Q

You need to go into the settings to stop them asking if you would like to
quit the screen reader. The fast way to do that in JAWS is to run the Start
Up Wizard and uncheck "Prompt to confirm when exiting JAWS". With NVDA it
can be found in the General section of Settings.

To start each screen reader you will need to setup a keyboard shortcut in
Properties. For JAWS set is as: CTRL+ALT+J. For NVDA set is as CTRL+ALT+N.

Once that is done it is very easy to load and unload each screen reader.

Paul

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how it
deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process to do so
is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning off jaws,
turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA on
and off?

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and
Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Life in Six Dots

They dropped it earlier than that. The trouble was if you have say
CTRL+ALT+J setup on JAWS 2020 and upgraded to 2021, the shortcut CTRL+ALT+J
would open JAWS 2020 not 2021. To make it open JAWS 2021, you would first
have to unallocated the keyboard shortcut to JAWS 2020, then reassign it to
JAWS 2021. That seemed to cause a lot of confusion so they stopped adding it
by default. I think NVDA have only recently dropped adding CTRL+ALT+N by
default recently though.

Paul

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how it
deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process to do so
is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning off jaws,
turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA on
and off?

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and
Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

JM Casey

Or, you know, just delete the jaws 2020 desktop shortcut before you install
j2021. Or assign it a different hotkey before you install. Gosh, people make
things seem so much complicated than they are (not you, just saying, in
general...hotkeys are just not a complicated business)
As far as I know NVDA has not dropped it. Maybe next time I update NVDA I'll
delete the shortcut first and see what happens.

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how it
deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process to do so
is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning off jaws,
turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA on
and off?

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and
Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

JM Casey

I've been using JAWS for windows for quite some time and not once do I
remember instalation automaticallys etting up a hotkey; I had to do it
myself. I currently don't even bother with a jaws hotkey, I just run
whatever version from the run dialogue box.

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how it
deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process to do so
is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning off jaws,
turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA on
and off?

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and
Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Life in Six Dots

But keeping an older version of JAWS is sometimes handy. Such as a
discontinued feature or your current version goes screwy. I don't call that
making things complicated? Paul

I sometimes switch over to NVDA from JAWS, in order to determine how it
deals with something that jaws is struggling with. But the process to do so
is slightly cumbersome. It requires going to desktop, turning off jaws,
turning on nvda and then going back to where I was.

Is there a way to switch on the fly? Or at least to turn JAWS and NVDA on
and off?

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India Rhodes Scholar (India and
Linacre 2018) University of Oxford

Glenn / Lenny

Removing the icon from the desktop is not removing the program.
It's just a shortcut.
Glenn