Topics

moderated Scripts in default user disappeared and Jaws scripting mailing list

Leo

Hello everyone,

I got a couple of questions. Firstly, when I’m in the Jaws script manager, specifically in the default script, and I list all the scripts in the default user by using the combination control plus L,  after doing so, I look for the script where I want to move the focus of the cursor, so I push enter, but always that I do it, a message pops up, saying that the script is present in the .JSD documentation file, but the script is not present in the default.JSS file.  I know the scripts are working perfectly because everything  is working just fine, except for this. So, how can I access the scripts in the default.JSS file?

Secondly, is there any active mailing list for Jaws scripting?

--
Leo

“Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.”
― haruki murakami,

Cohn, Jonathan

Hello,
It is possible that FS put script definitions in default.jsd that are not in default.jss. Default.jss does include several "use" statements that include code from other libraries. Also, the psd d files are used for the command to insert a function in code, and for the  verification that parameters are correctly listed for functions.
There is a JAWS scripting list on freelists. This list has most of the professional scripters on it, so they get impatient if people ask fairly simple questions. Also, if you ask can I get a script for Application X, nobody will answer.
Please try to search the archive of over 10 years of scripting history before asking a question.
Best of luck!
Jonathan Cohn

mike mcglashon

Block quote:

There is a JAWS scripting list on freelists. This list has most of the professional scripters on it, so they get impatient if people ask fairly simple questions. Also, if you ask can I get a script for Application X, nobody will answer.

Please try to search the archive of over 10 years of scripting history before asking a question.

End quote:

Wow!!!

This seems counter-intuitive;

That’s like saying there’s a freelist for doctors,

And,

If anyone comes on there asking for remedies,

They will become impatient;

It would seem to me that the scripters would take advantage of those of us who don’t know how to do it,

In order to make a living.

After all,

If I offer to purchase one’s services to make me a script,

Why wouldn’t they do it?

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

It is possible that FS put script definitions in default.jsd that are not in default.jss. Default.jss does include several "use" statements that include code from other libraries. Also, the psd d files are used for the command to insert a function in code, and for the  verification that parameters are correctly listed for functions.
There is a JAWS scripting list on freelists. This list has most of the professional scripters on it, so they get impatient if people ask fairly simple questions. Also, if you ask can I get a script for Application X, nobody will answer.
Please try to search the archive of over 10 years of scripting history before asking a question.
Best of luck!
Jonathan Cohn

Leo

OK thanks!

On 12/23/2020 11:33 AM, Cohn, Jonathan via groups.io wrote:

Hello,
It is possible that FS put script definitions in default.jsd that are not in default.jss. Default.jss does include several "use" statements that include code from other libraries. Also, the psd d files are used for the command to insert a function in code, and for the  verification that parameters are correctly listed for functions.
There is a JAWS scripting list on freelists. This list has most of the professional scripters on it, so they get impatient if people ask fairly simple questions. Also, if you ask can I get a script for Application X, nobody will answer.
Please try to search the archive of over 10 years of scripting history before asking a question.
Best of luck!
Jonathan Cohn

Mario

the scripting list on freelists doesn't sound like it's a good list if one is just starting out in writing scripts. I wonder if there's a more suitable list for newbee scripters with plenty of basic questions?

It is possible that FS put script definitions in default.jsd that are
not in default.jss. Default.jss does include several "use" statements
that include code from other libraries. Also, the psd d files are used
for the command to insert a function in code, and for the  verification
that parameters are correctly listed for functions.
There is a JAWS scripting list on freelists. This list has most of the
professional scripters on it, so they get impatient if people ask fairly
simple questions. Also, if you ask can I get a script for Application X,
nobody will answer.
Please try to search the archive of over 10 years of scripting history
before asking a question.
Best of luck!
Jonathan Cohn

Leo

Mario, I'm wondering the same here...!

On 12/23/2020 2:25 PM, Mario wrote:
[...]

well, there's https://groups.io/g/jawsscripting but there's only 9 subscribers and I don't know how active it is since it was created on Nov of 2017.

a couple of other resources to check out besides the built in help system:

learning Jaws Scripting: a walkthrough
https://gist.github.com/BeastlyTheos/177004102bafda4b20e9b6e72863d29a?fbclid=IwAR3LNsFC3Ny66yAx8RknBpDEMXnJwa8h9lHj53NMkMMNEwFhd3F4X3WKH1s

Basics of JAWS Scripting intro and TOC:

https://support.freedomscientific.com/Content/Documents/Other/ScriptManual/01-0_Introduction.htm

It is possible that FS put script definitions in default.jsd that are
not in default.jss. Default.jss does include several "use" statements
that include code from other libraries. Also, the psd d files are used
for the command to insert a function in code, and for the  verification
that parameters are correctly listed for functions.
There is a JAWS scripting list on freelists. This list has most of the
professional scripters on it, so they get impatient if people ask fairly
simple questions. Also, if you ask can I get a script for Application X,
nobody will answer.
Please try to search the archive of over 10 years of scripting history
before asking a question.
Best of luck!
Jonathan Cohn

.

Leo

I'm sorry for the blank message I sent few minutes ago, I was fooling
around with Thunderbird.

Mario, the page located in GitHub is particularly interesting, I haven't
stumbled upon  this page when I was searching for online resources. The
Freedom Scientific documentation about scripting was actually the first
place I looked into.

On 12/23/2020 8:13 PM, Mario wrote:
[...]

OK, perhaps I was being a little harsh about the jaws-scripting list.
I do remember that one time when I told somebody that the JAWS-HELP functions have the ability to let you know what script is attached to a specific function, that somebody complained about this being very basic information. But here is a snippet that might help the original question:
,

If you need code samples, than you have to study JAWS
shared scripts.
They are inexhaustible collections of examples!
By the way, you can contact Vispero and could buy some
overpriced script writing training materials. But they
contain "common script writing guidelines" only.

On the other hand, the new FSDN much better than the
previous ones! You have to download it and look!

Back on the reference of a mailing list for doctors, let's say specifically urologist. If you wrote an inquiry asking why does it hurt when I urinate? I doubt anybody would appreciate answering. However if you ask a question giving several symtoms, and results of basic tests then there would be interest in answering the question.
Just like if everybody on the JFW list kept asking how do I get latest version of JAWs, there might be some grumpy people on list. In fact, the NVDA list admins, are fairly particular now, that people stay in a strict bandwidth.
Jonathan

On Dec 23, 2020, at 5:42 PM, Leo <literophilus@...> wrote:

[...]

just to clarify for those who might be interested, I doubt the ml at https://www.freelists.org/list/jawsscripting is the same as the one I (recently) mentioned at groups.io.

there also is another ml at freelists that deals with JAWS scripts which seems to be more of a discussion themed ml.

[...]

Hi again Jonathan,

I've been reading the FS documentation to download for free from the website, including the FSDN, and I want to study the code samples contained in the Jaws share scripts,  but I haven't found how to access the code. For instance, I want to have a look at the VKSelect scripts, but whenever I try to open it, a message pops up saying that this script is present in the .JSD documentation but not in the default.JSS file, so I can't really look into the code.

Is there another way in which I can access the codes?

On 12/24/2020 12:27 PM, Cohn, Jonathan via groups.io wrote:

[...]

I turned on my development computer today, to try and answer your question, but the computer refused to boot.
Feel free to join the jaws-scripting list at freelists.org and say something about wanting to better understand this function.

My apologies for not getting anything back to you.