moderated Screen Reader-Friendly IDES for C++, Java And Python

Peter Donahue

Hello everyone,

                I’m looking for screen reader-friendly ides for programming with C++, Java and Python. I want to find out what blind programmers are using these days. Your suggestions will be very helpful.

Peter Donahue

Zachary Morris

As far as Python, I'm going to recommend Visual Studio Code, since that's very accessible. C++ might also work with that as well. Now, with Java, unfortunately, the most popular one is Eclipse, since it has all the stuff that makes Java code run, but I could be completely wrong.

On Mar 25, 2022, at 1:52 PM, Peter Donahue <pdonahue2@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

                I’m looking for screen reader-friendly ides for programming with C++, Java and Python. I want to find out what blind programmers are using these days. Your suggestions will be very helpful.

Peter Donahue

Karina Castro

Hello, I recommend Visual Code too, I have used it for Javascript. So in this momment I am making a course of Python from Cisco and I only use Notepad++ together with Python 3.8. Also I feel it's better NVDA than JAWS for encoding.

Whatever, you can try with VS studio because I have alot of friends that just use it for programming with alot of languages like C, C++, Python, Swift,  Javascript and many more.

--
Salu2, Kari

Zachary Morris

Notepad++ is also a very viable option. I will agree with you that NVDA may be a better screen reader for most coding tasks, though most things should work with both screen readers. I recommended Visual Studio Code both because it is very lightweight, with a lot of things you can add to it in the form of extensions, plus decent accessibility. Like I said, though, both can do the job. It's personal preference.