Topics

moderated Scanning with Open book versus JAWS

Alan Robbins

Just learned about being able to scan a document with JAWS layered keystroke (jaws key and spacebar, then o, then a)

This is great to simply read some text and to save text. However, I see no way to scan and save as an image (i.e. jpg) This is an option in open book. Thoughts?

Al

Richard Turner

That is the difference between a stand-alone $1000 piece of software and a free built-in utility.

I suppose, if you don’t mind extra stuff, you could take a screen shot after you do the Jaws scan.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Robbins
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 5:14 AM
To: JFWList <jfw@groups.IO>
Subject: Scanning with Open book versus JAWS

Just learned about being able to scan a document with JAWS layered keystroke (jaws key and spacebar, then o, then a)

This is great to simply read some text and to save text. However, I see no way to scan and save as an image (i.e. jpg) This is an option in open book. Thoughts?

Al

Dan Longmore

Hi,

After scanning with JAWS OCR select the text in the JAWS viewer, copy and paste to a document.  Possible workaround.

Dan

Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 8:14 AM

Al

Ron Pelletier

Hi Alan,

You can scan using JAWS in the newer versions but it sure is not up to snuff to equal Openbook. It will scan a document but you couldn’t ever do with it what students and working people need. Vispero give as an excuse not to update OpenBook that they would rather continue to develop JAWS scanning abilities rather than updating OpenBook. They haven’t updated it in years and, where does that leave those of us who purchased it a high price.  

Ron & Danvers

Al

Glenn / Lenny

Maybe Open Book needs no further development.
If there are suggestions for improving OB, maybe they would add them to it.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: Scanning with Open book versus JAWS

Hi Alan,

You can scan using JAWS in the newer versions but it sure is not up to snuff to equal Openbook. It will scan a document but you couldn’t ever do with it what students and working people need. Vispero give as an excuse not to update OpenBook that they would rather continue to develop JAWS scanning abilities rather than updating OpenBook. They haven’t updated it in years and, where does that leave those of us who purchased it a high price.  

Ron & Danvers

Al

CJ &AA MAY

I haven’t as yet explored this ability within Jaws. Could someone give me a quick overview?

Alison

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: 11 June 2020 15:24
To: main@jfw.groups.io

That is the difference between a stand-alone $1000 piece of software and a free built-in utility.

I suppose, if you don’t mind extra stuff, you could take a screen shot after you do the Jaws scan.

Richard

"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself,” and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I’ve never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

Al

Ann Byrne

K1000 saves works better for me than Openbook or JAWS

At 12:03 PM 6/11/2020, you wrote:
Maybe Open Book needs no further development.
If there are suggestions for improving OB, maybe they would add them to it.
Glenn
To: <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>main@jfw.groups.io
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 11:58 AM

Hi Alan,

You can scan using JAWS in the newer versions but it sure is not up to snuff to equal Openbook. It will scan a document but you couldn't ever do with it what students and working people need. Vispero give as an excuse not to update OpenBook that they would rather continue to develop JAWS scanning abilities rather than updating OpenBook. They haven't updated it in years and, where does that leave those of us who purchased it a high price.

Ron & Danvers

Al

Alan Robbins

Alison,

Here are some suggestions I saved from list member, Mike B:

How to scan files using a scanning device with the Jaws OCR feature.  Steps are below.  This will only work with JAWS2018 and newer.

1. Place whatever you want scanned with the OCR feature on your scanner.

2. Press the JAWS Key + Spacebar, then, O, for OCR, and press, A , for acquire.

3. Choose the scanner from the, Scanner & Camera combo box pop-up, tab to the, Acquire button, press the spacebar, and the scanner will scan the file using
the Jaws OCR feature.  It will then read it to you.  This is GREAT!
Note:  The shortcut keystroke to acquire is, Alt + Q.

To save the file you can export it to Excel or, after scanning select all the text with, Control + A, press, Control + C, to copy to the clipboard, then
paste the text, Control + V, into a text or Word
file and save.

Best,

Al

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of CJ &AA MAY
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 1:15 PM

I haven’t as yet explored this ability within Jaws. Could someone give me a quick overview?

Alison

Richard

Al

David Griffith

Does Jaws OCR have a book mode scanning like in Open Book or other scanners, that is single key activation of next page scan using something like the spacebar?

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 11 June 2020 17:58

Hi Alan,

Ron & Danvers

Al

David Csercsics

While we're on this topic, how does things like OpenBook compare to scanning apps for the phone, or things like envision AI?

David Goldfield

Honestly, my opinion is that scanning material with a flatbed scanner is always going to be a bit easier than using a phone unless you have a stand that can position your phone in a stationary location. Even then starting a scanner from a PC keyboard and using that keyboard to quickly save a document or copy and paste that scanned text into another document is, at least for me, a much faster and more efficient experience. There may be others who feel differently about this and I'd be interested in hearing their perspective.

On 6/11/2020 4:26 PM, David Csercsics wrote:
While we're on this topic, how does things like OpenBook compare to scanning apps for the phone, or things like envision AI?

Glenn / Lenny

When I was working my supervisor always laughed at me because I preferred to
use my flat bed scanner and did not feel the need for the agency to buy me a
pearl scanner.
I think a flat bed scanner will always give a better picture than a camera
of any type.
Although the flat bed scanner is still a camera.
That has always puzzled me, if flat bed scanners get better cameras inside
as time goes on, or if they basically keep the same technology.
Glenn

To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 3:58 PM

Honestly, my opinion is that scanning material with a flatbed scanner is
always going to be a bit easier than using a phone unless you have a
stand that can position your phone in a stationary location. Even then
starting a scanner from a PC keyboard and using that keyboard to quickly
save a document or copy and paste that scanned text into another
document is, at least for me, a much faster and more efficient
experience. There may be others who feel differently about this and I'd
be interested in hearing their perspective.

While we're on this topic, how does things like OpenBook compare to
scanning apps for the phone, or things like envision AI?

Van Lant, Robin

I haven’t had as much luck scanning more complicated documents with columns or charts using the JAWS OCR.  I tend to open them using K1000 if it’s more complicated.  I only use VoiceDream Scanner on my phone for quick things I need to read and it’s true that it works best with a stand.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of CJ &AA MAY
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 11:15 AM

Alison

Richard

Al

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key, send an email to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Ed Culpepper

When I click “Acquire” my computer announces “ Finished – Failed to recognize text.” The scanner has not operated at all at this point. I have only 1 scanner and it is recognized in the “Convenient OCR” “Cameras and Scanners”  dialog. Any ideas why the scanner is not engaged or suggestions I might try to produce scanning?

J Edward Culpepper, PhD

Huntsville, Alabama

Glenn / Lenny

See if it is available in device manager.
Either go directly to device manager and type scanner in the edit field, or from the windows key edit field, type in scanner and select scanners and cameras and make sure Windows is aware of the device.
Glenn

Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 4:38 PM

When I click “Acquire” my computer announces “ Finished – Failed to recognize text.” The scanner has not operated at all at this point. I have only 1 scanner and it is recognized in the “Convenient OCR” “Cameras and Scanners”  dialog. Any ideas why the scanner is not engaged or suggestions I might try to produce scanning?

J Edward Culpepper, PhD

Huntsville, Alabama

Loy

I use my IPhone with Voice dream Scanner for quick scans of mail or to quickly find out what an item on my desk is. It is remarkably accurate . But for important items I do use a flat bed scanner.

Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 4:58 PM

Honestly, my opinion is that scanning material with a flatbed scanner is always going to be a bit easier than using a phone unless you have a stand that can position your phone in a stationary location. Even then starting a scanner from a PC keyboard and using that keyboard to quickly save a document or copy and paste that scanned text into another document is, at least for me, a much faster and more efficient experience. There may be others who feel differently about this and I'd be interested in hearing their perspective.

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

I don't think OpenBook is the equal of Kurzweil 1000. Neither product is really being developed, but I'm glad I have K1000, because when I tried OpenBook, results weren't as good. Reading books is far easier with one of these programs, or perhaps a desktop off-the-shelf program, than with a phone.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 5:47 PM

I use my IPhone with Voice dream Scanner for quick scans of mail or to
quickly find out what an item on my desk is. It is remarkably accurate .
But for important items I do use a flat bed scanner.

Honestly, my opinion is that scanning material with a flatbed scanner is
always going to be a bit easier than using a phone unless you have a stand
that can position your phone in a stationary location. Even then starting
a scanner from a PC keyboard and using that keyboard to quickly save a
document or copy and paste that scanned text into another document is, at
least for me, a much faster and more efficient experience. There may be
others who feel differently about this and I'd be interested in hearing
their perspective.

Mike B

After you press the, JAWS Key + Spacebar, then, O, for OCR, and press, A , for acquire.

You need to arrow to the scanner to select it in the Convenient OCR / Cameras and Scanners list dialog.  Now tab to, Acquire, and press spacebar or enter.
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 2:38 PM

J Edward Culpepper, PhD

Huntsville, Alabama

Richard Turner

Also, have you tried just unplugging the scanner and plugging it back in?

Especially if you updated to Windows 10 2004.

Or you may have to go into the printer and scanner settings and select it again.

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 6:42 PM

After you press the, JAWS Key + Spacebar, then, O, for OCR, and press, A , for acquire.

You need to arrow to the scanner to select it in the Convenient OCR / Cameras and Scanners list dialog.  Now tab to, Acquire, and press spacebar or enter.
Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 2:38 PM

J Edward Culpepper, PhD

Huntsville, Alabama

Richard Turner

If Winston Chen, the developer of Voice Dream Scanner, can get it to recognize columns; which may happen by the end of the year or early next, then Voice Dream Scanner with a stand will likely match any flatbed scanning solutions.
I find its accuracy as good if not better than the computer based software.
You can scan multiple pages into one document.
You can then save it as a fully accessible PDF that keeps the visual appearance of the original.
But, for scanning plain documents without columns, it is fabulous.

For now, though, anything like two pages of a book, or something in columns a computer and a flatbed will be the way to go.

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dean Martineau
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 6:20 PM

I don't think OpenBook is the equal of Kurzweil 1000. Neither product is really being developed, but I'm glad I have K1000, because when I tried OpenBook, results weren't as good. Reading books is far easier with one of these programs, or perhaps a desktop off-the-shelf program, than with a phone.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 5:47 PM

I use my IPhone with Voice dream Scanner for quick scans of mail or to quickly find out what an item on my desk is. It is remarkably accurate .
But for important items I do use a flat bed scanner.

Honestly, my opinion is that scanning material with a flatbed scanner
is always going to be a bit easier than using a phone unless you have
a stand that can position your phone in a stationary location. Even
then starting a scanner from a PC keyboard and using that keyboard to
quickly save a document or copy and paste that scanned text into
another document is, at least for me, a much faster and more efficient
experience. There may be others who feel differently about this and
I'd be interested in hearing their perspective.