Topics

moderated Scanning with Open book versus JAWS

Alan Robbins

Just learned about being able to scan a document with JAWS layered keystroke (jaws key and spacebar, then o, then a)

This is great to simply read some text and to save text. However, I see no way to scan and save as an image (i.e. jpg) This is an option in open book. Thoughts?

Al

Richard Turner

That is the difference between a stand-alone $1000 piece of software and a free built-in utility.

I suppose, if you don’t mind extra stuff, you could take a screen shot after you do the Jaws scan.

Richard

Just learned about being able to scan a document with JAWS layered keystroke (jaws key and spacebar, then o, then a)

This is great to simply read some text and to save text. However, I see no way to scan and save as an image (i.e. jpg) This is an option in open book. Thoughts?

Al

Dan Longmore

Hi,

  After scanning with JAWS OCR select the text in the JAWS viewer, copy and paste to a document.  Possible workaround.

Dan

Just learned about being able to scan a document with JAWS layered keystroke (jaws key and spacebar, then o, then a)

This is great to simply read some text and to save text. However, I see no way to scan and save as an image (i.e. jpg) This is an option in open book. Thoughts?

Al

Ron Pelletier

Hi Alan,

You can scan using JAWS in the newer versions but it sure is not up to snuff to equal Openbook. It will scan a document but you couldn’t ever do with it what students and working people need. Vispero give as an excuse not to update OpenBook that they would rather continue to develop JAWS scanning abilities rather than updating OpenBook. They haven’t updated it in years and, where does that leave those of us who purchased it a high price.

Ron & Danvers

Just learned about being able to scan a document with JAWS layered keystroke (jaws key and spacebar, then o, then a)

This is great to simply read some text and to save text. However, I see no way to scan and save as an image (i.e. jpg) This is an option in open book. Thoughts?

Al

Glenn / Lenny

Maybe Open Book needs no further development.
If there are suggestions for improving OB, maybe they would add them to it.
Glenn

You can scan using JAWS in the newer versions but it sure is not up to snuff to equal Openbook. It will scan a document but you couldn’t ever do with it what students and working people need. Vispero give as an excuse not to update OpenBook that they would rather continue to develop JAWS scanning abilities rather than updating OpenBook. They haven’t updated it in years and, where does that leave those of us who purchased it a high price.

Ron & Danvers

Just learned about being able to scan a document with JAWS layered keystroke (jaws key and spacebar, then o, then a)

This is great to simply read some text and to save text. However, I see no way to scan and save as an image (i.e. jpg) This is an option in open book. Thoughts?

Al

CJ &AA MAY

I haven’t as yet explored this ability within Jaws. Could someone give me a quick overview?

Alison

That is the difference between a stand-alone $1000 piece of software and a free built-in utility.

I suppose, if you don’t mind extra stuff, you could take a screen shot after you do the Jaws scan.

Richard

Just learned about being able to scan a document with JAWS layered keystroke (jaws key and spacebar, then o, then a)

This is great to simply read some text and to save text. However, I see no way to scan and save as an image (i.e. jpg) This is an option in open book. Thoughts?

Al

Ann Byrne

K1000 saves works better for me than Openbook or JAWS