Topics

moderated RSS Reader

Cornelius

Hi all,
are there any RSS reader that works well with JAWS and support show article as full webpage?
I use to use Windows Live Mail RSS, but looking for alternative as Live Mail is an old program which may stop working in years to come.
I have also tried Thunderbird RSS, but it doesn’t seem to work on all RSS feeds. Outlook RSS on the other hand, downloads full article as attachment which is something not preferable.

Gerald Levy

The RSS feed reader built into IE is still the most accessible and convenient to use of any RSS reader I have tried.

Gerald

On 5/31/2020 11:03 PM, Cornelius wrote:
Hi all,
are there any RSS reader that works well with JAWS and support show article as full webpage?
I use to use Windows Live Mail RSS, but looking for alternative as Live Mail is an old program which may stop working in years to come.
I have also tried Thunderbird RSS, but it doesn’t seem to work on all RSS feeds. Outlook RSS on the other hand, downloads full article as attachment which is something not preferable.

Jim Pursley

The Old Reader works fine for my news aggregation needs.  www.theoldreader.com.  Premium sub at $3 a month the best option.

On 6/1/2020 12:03 AM, Cornelius wrote:
Hi all,
are there any RSS reader that works well with JAWS and support show article as full webpage?
I use to use Windows Live Mail RSS, but looking for alternative as Live Mail is an old program which may stop working in years to come.
I have also tried Thunderbird RSS, but it doesn’t seem to work on all RSS feeds. Outlook RSS on the other hand, downloads full article as attachment which is something not preferable.

Cornelius

Need to register to use? Is it a software base or web base?

are there any RSS reader that works well with JAWS and support show article as full webpage?
I use to use Windows Live Mail RSS, but looking for alternative as Live Mail is an old program which may stop working in years to come.
I have also tried Thunderbird RSS, but it doesn’t seem to work on all RSS feeds. Outlook RSS on the other hand, downloads full article as attachment which is something not preferable.

Cornelius

I am feeling that way too, but once we are moving away from IE I am trying to check if there is something similar.

The RSS feed reader built into IE is still the most accessible and convenient to use of any RSS reader I have tried.

Gerald

On 5/31/2020 11:03 PM, Cornelius wrote:
Hi all,
are there any RSS reader that works well with JAWS and support show article as full webpage?
I use to use Windows Live Mail RSS, but looking for alternative as Live Mail is an old program which may stop working in years to come.
I have also tried Thunderbird RSS, but it doesn’t seem to work on all RSS feeds. Outlook RSS on the other hand, downloads full article as attachment which is something not preferable.

Pastor Gilbert Pries

Never heard of it.

Pastor Gil

Need to register to use? Is it a software base or web base?

are there any RSS reader that works well with JAWS and support show article as full webpage?

I use to use Windows Live Mail RSS, but looking for alternative as Live Mail is an old program which may stop working in years to come.

I have also tried Thunderbird RSS, but it doesn’t seem to work on all RSS feeds. Outlook RSS on the other hand, downloads full article as attachment which is something not preferable.

David Griffith

I am coming late to this thread but for me personally I have used the free Webbie based Accessible RSS Reader for years available from I think from memory the Accessible Suite of applications at www.webbie.org.uk.

It has none of the bells and whistles of some modern RSS Readers regarding device synching but I still love its simplicity and ease of use with Jaws and NVDA.

Auto refresh of Feeds was also turned off years ago to increase its stability but this is also not a problem as manual refresh is built into loading the feed articles. S .

The application has 2 columns.

You cursor down your list of RSS Feeds in one column.

Press control R on any Feed and this will, as well as quickly refreshing the feed instantly jump you into the list of available articles from that feed in the adjacent column.

Cursor down and on each article you will hear an automatic preview of the first few lines of each article which will indicate whether you want to hear the whole article.

Press enter to load the web page referred to in that feed in your browser for the full article.

Close the web page to return to the RSS Reader.

Press escape in RSS Reader to return from the Article list to the main RSS Feed list.

Then you simply start over.

Cursor down to your next feed or use first letter navigation to find the feed you want.

On your next feed press Control R to Refresh and again jump into the next article list revealed and start anew in article reading.

Very simple to use and I would be lost without it.

David Griffith

.

Need to register to use? Is it a software base or web base?

are there any RSS reader that works well with JAWS and support show article as full webpage?

I use to use Windows Live Mail RSS, but looking for alternative as Live Mail is an old program which may stop working in years to come.

I have also tried Thunderbird RSS, but it doesn’t seem to work on all RSS feeds. Outlook RSS on the other hand, downloads full article as attachment which is something not preferable.

Pastor Gilbert Pries

Thank you David for explaining it.

Pastor Gil

Need to register to use? Is it a software base or web base?

are there any RSS reader that works well with JAWS and support show article as full webpage?

I use to use Windows Live Mail RSS, but looking for alternative as Live Mail is an old program which may stop working in years to come.

I have also tried Thunderbird RSS, but it doesn’t seem to work on all RSS feeds. Outlook RSS on the other hand, downloads full article as attachment which is something not preferable.

Jim Pursley

Sorry I took so long to respond.  The Old GReader (formerly Google Reader) is web based and is offered free or at $25 a year.