Topics

moderated reputation-based protection

Stan Holdeman

                Good morning List: Since upgrading to Windows version 20H2 I have various problems in windows and jaws version 2021.

Soon after upgrade to 20H2, Windows Security notified me that they wanted ne to turn on reputation-based protection which I did. I am wondering if this might have created conflict with Jaws 2021.

Any thoughts on this?

Stan

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Stan. I don't think turning on reputation-based protection has caused any conflicts with JAWS 2021 for me. The reason I left reputation-based protection turned off is that I didn't need my antivirus and my browser telling me about supposed threats, and causing me not to be able to download files which I know to be harmless. I can get along with only my antivirus telling me about supposed threats. Once I get the file, I can scan that one file with Windows Security, and make sure it isn't a threat.

I will write you privately, in case you would like me to tandem into your computer, and talk over with you what you want to be left turned on, and what you want turned off. I will also give my phone number, since that will facilitate talking with you as I work with your computer.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

                Good morning List: Since upgrading to Windows version 20H2 I have various problems in windows and jaws version 2021.

Soon after upgrade to 20H2, Windows Security notified me that they wanted ne to turn on reputation-based protection which I did. I am wondering if this might have created conflict with Jaws 2021.

Any thoughts on this?

Stan

Mario

Bill, I have been upgraded to 20H2 but haven't been asked to enable reputation based protection, but I'd be interested to know what should be turned on or off in case I might be eventually asked in the near future.

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

                Good morning List: Since upgrading to Windows version
20H2 I have various problems in windows and jaws version 2021.

Soon after upgrade to 20H2, Windows Security notified me that they
wanted ne to turn on reputation-based protection which I did. I am
wondering if this might have created conflict with Jaws 2021.

Any thoughts on this?

Stan

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Mario. Turning on or off any option in reputation-based protection is
strictly a personal matter, and as I told Stan, I turned off all options in
this category, because I don't go to any dangerous sites, and I don't want
Windows or my browser to prevent me from downloading files. After I download
them, I can use the Context Menu to have Windows Security scan the file
before I install it.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 11:12 AM, Bill White wrote:
Turning on or off any option in reputation-based protection is strictly a personal matter
-
Yep.  The only thing I'll add to that is if you have reputation-based protection turned on, and it's flagging something you know to be safe, e.g. the JAWS installer itself, then you really need to report this.

Were it to be something like the JAWS installer, I'd report the situation to Freedom Scientific or the appropriate software maker, as their contacts with Microsoft to rectify this sort of issue are more direct than any end user's is.  But it doesn't hurt to report it via the Feedback Hub to Microsoft as well.  I've had false positives rectified, usually in less than 24 hours, using each of these methods at one time or another.  Sometimes the "best guess" of security software is wrong, and it will tend to err on the side of being more aggressively protective when uncertainty exists.

           ~ André Gide

Leo

Hi, I'm using jaws 2021 and I've had no trouble regarding this matter so far; however,  in connection with reputation based protection, I want to say that, it's a vexing matter, no doubt, but a necessary one because if you ever got  your PC infected with a Trojan that is redirecting your browser, this feature will prevent these usually harmful pages from loading.

Leo

“Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.”
― haruki murakami,