Reply to Sender Only

kylee@...

Hi all

Would someone please refresh my memory of the JAWS keystroke to reply to a list sender only instead of the list. One of the lists to which I belong is somewhat strict about replying off-list when acknowledging emails (to which I happen to agree) but I can't find the relevant keystroke.

TIA

Kylee

Albert Cutolo

ControlR, should do it

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kylee@...
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 7:36 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Reply to Sender Only

Hi all

Would someone please refresh my memory of the JAWS keystroke to reply to a list sender only instead of the list. One of the lists to which I belong is somewhat strict about replying off-list when acknowledging emails (to which I happen to agree) but I can't find the relevant keystroke.

TIA

Kylee

Well, if the list happens to be hosted by Groups.io you can use the Reply to Sender link at the end of each message to send a private reply (which will be given the subject of Private colon followed by the topic title).  Activating it should fire up a compose window in your default email client.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

Richard Turner

Control+r just replies to the group unless the group happens to be set to reply to sender, which very few groups I’ve ever belonged to were set that way.

As Brian says in another message, if it is a group with groups.io, at the bottom of every message is a link to reply to sender, rather than the group.

Otherwise it is a lot of fiddling with the from or reply fields to figure out the person’s direct email.

Richard

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Albert Cutolo
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 4:56 PM
Subject: Re: Reply to Sender Only

ControlR, should do it

Hi all

TIA

Kylee

kylee@...

Hi all

There used to be a JAWS keystroke which allowed you to do it. I've never seen a reply to sender link at the end of emails, though I've look for it. There is a 'reply to group' but not 'reply to sender'. I wish there was.

Cheers

Kylee

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Saturday, 15 May 2021 12:04 PM

Control+r just replies to the group unless the group happens to be set to reply to sender, which very few groups I’ve ever belonged to were set that way.

As Brian says in another message, if it is a group with groups.io, at the bottom of every message is a link to reply to sender, rather than the group.

Otherwise it is a lot of fiddling with the from or reply fields to figure out the person’s direct email.

Richard

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

ControlR, should do it

Hi all

TIA

Kylee

kylee@...

Hi there

I did find a 'reply to sender' link at the end of some emails but it doesn't occur universally.

Cheers

Kylee

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, 15 May 2021 11:57 AM

Well, if the list happens to be hosted by Groups.io you can use the Reply to Sender link at the end of each message to send a private reply (which will be given the subject of Private colon followed by the topic title).  Activating it should fire up a compose window in your default email client.

--

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.

~ André Gide

James Malone

Hi, it’s just control plus R. If you reply to everyone, it’s control plus Shift R.

James

Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 4:36 PM

Hi all

TIA

Kylee

Richard Turner

I just hit control+r, and as I said, that goes to the group, not the individual.

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Malone
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 4:54 PM

Hi, it’s just control plus R. If you reply to everyone, it’s control plus Shift R.

James

Hi all

TIA

Kylee

Tom Behler

Shift insert R often also works for me, although I couldn’t get to work in response to Kylee’s original message.

Tom Behler

Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 8:04 PM

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

ControlR, should do it

Hi all

TIA

Kylee

Mario

but there is a Reply To Sender link right under the Reply To Group link in this group's sig. but I've always used control+r since I use Thunderbird. I think it's similar if not the same if I were to use Outlook or any other email client.

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Friday, May 14, 2021, 8:06 PM
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Hi all

There used to be a JAWS keystroke which allowed you to do it. I've never
seen a reply to sender link at the end of emails, though I've look for
it. There is a 'reply to group' but not 'reply to sender'. I wish there was.

Cheers

Kylee

*From:*main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Richard Turner
*Sent:* Saturday, 15 May 2021 12:04 PM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: Reply to Sender Only

Control+r just replies to the group unless the group happens to be set
to reply to sender, which very few groups I’ve ever belonged to were set
that way.

As Brian says in another message, if it is a group with groups.io, at
the bottom of every message is a link to reply to sender, rather than
the group.

Otherwise it is a lot of fiddling with the from or reply fields to
figure out the person’s direct email.

Richard

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but
what they become by it."

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com <http://www.turner42.com>

<main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of *Albert
Cutolo
*Sent:* Friday, May 14, 2021 4:56 PM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>

ControlR, should do it

<main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of
*kylee@timeless.net.nz <mailto:kylee@timeless.net.nz>
*Sent:* Friday, May 14, 2021 7:36 PM
*Subject:* Reply to Sender Only

Hi all

Would someone please refresh my memory of the JAWS keystroke to reply to
a list sender only instead of the list. One of the lists to which I
belong is somewhat strict about replying off-list when acknowledging
emails (to which I happen to agree) but I can't find the relevant keystroke.

TIA

Kylee

Mike B

Hi Kylee,

Try the, Insert, shift + R, keystroke, for replying to sender with the message open.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 5:08 PM

Hi there

I did find a 'reply to sender' link at the end of some emails but it doesn't occur universally.

Cheers

Kylee

--

~ André Gide

kylee@...

Hi all

Thanks to Mike and Tom for providing the keystroke I was after. I belong to several Groups.io lists and I've only seen the 'reply to sender' link at the bottom of messages from this list.

Cheers

Kylee

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Saturday, 15 May 2021 1:11 PM

Hi Kylee,

Try the, Insert, shift + R, keystroke, for replying to sender with the message open.

Hi there

Cheers

Kylee

--

~ André Gide

David Diamond

I was on a group where if you hit the "reply to sender" key, the message would go to the entire group instead of just one person. Sometimes the link "reply to sender" would be in the group message as it was supposed to, often though, it was not. Which ticked off a lot of people especially when the mod who was narcistic complained about private messages being posted to the group. .

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: May 14, 2021 6:10 PM

but there is a Reply To Sender link right under the Reply To Group link in this group's sig. but I've always used control+r since I use Thunderbird. I think it's similar if not the same if I were to use Outlook or any other email client.

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Friday, May 14, 2021, 8:06 PM
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Hi all

There used to be a JAWS keystroke which allowed you to do it. I've never seen a reply to sender link at the end of emails, though I've look for it. There is a 'reply to group' but not 'reply to sender'. I wish there was.

Cheers

Kylee

*From:*main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Richard Turner
*Sent:* Saturday, 15 May 2021 12:04 PM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io

Control+r just replies to the group unless the group happens to be set
to reply to sender, which very few groups I've ever belonged to were set that way.

Otherwise it is a lot of fiddling with the from or reply fields to figure out the person's direct email.

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com <http://www.turner42.com>

*From:*main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> <main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of *Albert Cutolo
*Sent:* Friday, May 14, 2021 4:56 PM

ControlR, should do it

*From:*main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> <main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of *kylee@timeless.net.nz <mailto:kylee@timeless.net.nz>
*Sent:* Friday, May 14, 2021 7:36 PM
*Subject:* Reply to Sender Only

Hi all

TIA

Kylee

Marten Post Uiterweer

Seems the reply to sender link is only in html messages and not in plain
text messages.
The sender can send messages in html or not or the group is set to send
messages as html or not.

Regards, Marten

On Sat, 15 May 2021 16:14:18 +1200 kylee@timeless.net.nz wrote:

Hi all

Thanks to Mike and Tom for providing the keystroke I was after. I belong to several Groups.io lists and I've only seen the 'reply to sender' link at the bottom of messages from this list.

Cheers

Kylee

Hi Kylee,

Stay safe and take care. Mike.

From: kylee@timeless.net.nz <mailto:kylee@timeless.net.nz>

To: main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>

Hi there

Cheers

Kylee

From: main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> <main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> > On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
To: main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>

Well, if the list happens to be hosted by Groups.io you can use the Reply to Sender link at the end of each message to send a private reply (which will be given the subject of Private colon followed by the topic title). Activating it should fire up a compose window in your default email client.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

~ André Gide

What James described with Control + R and Control + Shift + R does not apply to mailing lists. If you get an email where another person was CC'd you can press Control + R to reply to the original sender or Control + Shift + R (Reply All) which will also include anybody else the email was addressed to.

Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 5:35 PM

I just hit control+r, and as I said, that goes to the group, not the individual.

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Malone
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 4:54 PM

James

Hi all

TIA

Kylee

If you turn on keyboard help in Jaws and press Jaws Key + Shift + R you get the following explanation:

Shift+JAWSKey+R
Replies directly to sender.

But as Tom said, I have never had any luck of this working in any of the mailing lists I am subscribed to.

Best regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 5:41 PM

Shift insert R often also works for me, although I couldn’t get to work in response to Kylee’s original message.

Tom Behler

Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 8:04 PM

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

ControlR, should do it

Hi all

TIA

Kylee

I just tried this, if the message is not open Jaws just says "Cannot retrieve sender's address" and with the message open it says:

Replying directly to sender
(main@jfw.groups.io via groups.io)

So obvioulsy it is replying to the group just as Control + R does and you either have to use the link at the bottom of the message or go to the "From" field and manually put the Jaws cursor on the address of the person, use the application key and copy it.

Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 6:11 PM

Hi Kylee,

Hi there

Cheers

Kylee

--

~ André Gide

Hello Kylee,

Don't rely on that keystroke, it has never worked for me in a group email. I definitely suggest you press Alt + 3 on the number row after using it to verify the "To" address.

Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 9:14 PM

Hi all

Cheers

Kylee

Hi Kylee,

Hi there

Cheers

Kylee

--

~ André Gide

A safer way to reply to a sender if the link is not there at the bottom is to press Shift + Tab when you are at the beginning of the message until you get to the "From" field, here the sender's address is usually available, just put focus on it either with the PC or Jaws cursor, press the application key or Shift + F10 if you don't hav eone and select copy. This copies the sender's address to the clipboard, you can now press Reply or start a new message, if you reply once again Shift + Tab until you are in the To field, press Control + A to select all and delete, then Control + V to paste the private address into the field.

Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 9:14 PM

Hi all

Cheers

Kylee

Hi Kylee,

Hi there

Cheers

Kylee

--

~ André Gide

On Sat, May 15, 2021 at 12:53 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
Don't rely on that keystroke,
-
Yup.  And that's because it's really not supposed to and the emailing lists "rig it" that any default reply is to the list.

It generally requires sleuthing in the message header or using something like the Groups.io Reply to Sender link at the end of messages to reliably direct something privately back to the message's sender.

And I realize that there is some percentage that's small, but still significant, that for some reason does not have a Reply to Sender link at the end, and this seems to have something to do with whether the originator is forcing plain-text messages, but neither I, nor the person who runs Groups.io, have ever found out exactly what nor a way that Groups.io itself can work around this.  That's why I strongly suggest sticking with HTML format in your email, as I've not seen it missing then.

--

~ André Gide