moderated Repeatedly need to repair jaws

Kimber Gardner

Hi all,

Ever since installing jaws 2022 I have been required to do a repair on
a pretty regular basis. What happens is this. I go into the jaws
screen to do something like change a braille setting only to find all
my options have disappeared. The only choices I see are exit and about
jaws.

I called freedom scientific the first time this happened and was told
to do a repair which did fix the problem, but only temporarily. I've
had this same issue perhaps three times in the last six months, the
latest occurrence when I installed the most recent update. I did the
repair (again) and all is well. But for how long?

I have a lenovo laptop which is a little over a year old, running
windows 10 and jaws 2022.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? It's not a deal breaker by any
measure, but it is annoying.

Any thoughts?

Kim

--
Kimberly

Chris Hill

Hello.

I haven't had a problem like that.  What happens if you just reboot when this occurs?  Also, does your computer have a standard hard disk or a solid state drive for the boot drive.  If it is a standard hard disk, I'd be checking it for errors.  The old Lenovo I used to have ran too hot and killed regular hard drives.  I bought a solid state drive for it and that worked much better.

CH

On 2/25/2022 09:38, Kimber Gardner wrote:
[...]

Mike Pietruk

Chris

Given the repeated problems reported, would not also a complete uninstall
and reinstallation make sense if this problem occurs once again? Relating
to previous discussions on this list, this is a great argument for having
back-ups if something displays its ugly head.
I can only imagine the frustration here and, I can relate, as I've been
there too with programs/applications which, for whatever reason, don't
seem to work properly.

Adrian Spratt

Hi Kimber,

This is the kind of behavior I associate with a window not being maximized. When the problem next occurs, maybe try press alt-spacebar, then x. Or better still, alt-spacebar, then arrow down to maximize to see if it's already indicated, then press enter.

I admit, I've never had to maximize a window while working in a JAWS menu, so this is a guess.

If maximizing fixes the immediate problem, the next question would be how to keep JAWS' windows maximized.

[...]

Hello Mike.

I have never had any reason to suspect the Jaws repair wouldn't do as expected.  It might be worth reinstalling, but I'd check the hard disk first because in my experience some laptops are basically hard disk toasters, and hard disks don't do well when toasted.

CH

On 2/25/2022 10:03, Mike Pietruk wrote:
Chris

Given the repeated problems reported, would not also a complete uninstall
and reinstallation make sense if this problem occurs once again? Relating
to previous discussions on this list, this is a great argument for having
back-ups if something displays its ugly head.
I can only imagine the frustration here and, I can relate, as I've been
there too with programs/applications which, for whatever reason, don't
seem to work properly.

Marten Post Uiterweer

Hi Kim,

Seems if some basic files are missing orso. Strnage problem.

Maybe you can check the virusscanner if not something of aJaws is
blocked.

Kind regards, Marten