Topics

moderated Remind me how to read DMW Notifications

Shirley Tracy

I keep getting this notification but can’t seem to read it—probably forgot how. Thanks.

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Bill White

Read DMW notifications with the keystroke,

SHIFT plus WINDOWS Key plus V, in other words, press SHIFT plus WINDOWS Key, keep them held down, and press V. To allow yourself more time to read the notification,

1. Open Control Panel.

2. Navigate to, and open Ease of Access Center.

3. Navigate to, and open, Use the computer without a display.‑

4. TAB to, and open, How long should Windows notification dialog boxes stay open?

5. Choose a value longer than the default. I chose 30 seconds.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I keep getting this notification but can’t seem to read it—probably forgot how. Thanks.

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Mario

what are DMW notifications?

billwhite92701@att.net <mailto:billwhite92701@att.net>

I keep getting this notification but can’t seem to read it—probably
forgot how. Thanks.

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Bill White

Desktop Manager Window

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

I keep getting this notification but can’t seem to read it—probably
forgot how. Thanks.

Cheerfully,

Shirley

mike mcglashon

what is a desktop manager window

contact information
Mike McGlashon
PH: 618-783-9331
Email: michael.mcglashon@comcast.net

On Mar 8, 2021, at 11:25 AM, Bill White <billwhite92701@att.net> wrote:

Desktop Manager Window

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

I keep getting this notification but can’t seem to read it—probably
forgot how. Thanks.

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Mike,

         These are most commonly referred to simply as notifications.  As of Win10 Version 1809, WinKey+Shift+V will immediately throw focus to one that is still on display.  If it's gone already, the vast majority end up being put into the notifications queue in the Windows Action Center, accessed via WinKey+A.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Bill White

Desktop Window Manager (DWM, previously Desktop Compositing Engine or DCE) is the window manager in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 that enables the use of hardware acceleration to render the graphical user interface of Windows.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

I keep getting this notification but can’t seem to read it—probably
forgot how. Thanks.

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Bill White

Hi, Brian. I find that, unless I specifically press ENTER on the option to move a notification to Action Center, it never shows up there. Sometimes it never shows up there, even if I do click the option to move a particular notification to Action Center.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

         These are most commonly referred to simply as notifications.  As of Win10 Version 1809, WinKey+Shift+V will immediately throw focus to one that is still on display.  If it's gone already, the vast majority end up being put into the notifications queue in the Windows Action Center, accessed via WinKey+A.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

mike mcglashon

oh ok,i see

contact information
Mike McGlashon
PH: 618-783-9331
Email: michael.mcglashon@...

On Mar 8, 2021, at 11:48 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Mike,

         These are most commonly referred to simply as notifications.  As of Win10 Version 1809, WinKey+Shift+V will immediately throw focus to one that is still on display.  If it's gone already, the vast majority end up being put into the notifications queue in the Windows Action Center, accessed via WinKey+A.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Mario

an alternat way to change how long notification windows stay open:

press windows+i.
tab once, arrow to and spacebar on Ease of Access Center.
tab once to and spacebar on display.
tab to (9 times) Show notifications for Combo box.
arrow to the time desired. I chose 30 seconds like you did.

it may be necessary to shift+tab a few times to return to the combobox after changing the amount of time until the desired time is reached. I have no idea why this happens.

.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 11:53 AM, Bill White wrote:
I find that, unless I specifically press ENTER on the option to move a notification to Action Center, it never shows up there.
-
There are "trivial" notifications that are time constrained that don't go there.  Hence the reason I purposely did not say, all.

But it should still be the vast majority.  I even have the messages that come up from Google Voice that show up from Vivaldi, Chrome, or Firefox when a text comes in, and the like, land in the Action Center.  As I was typing this my sister just texted, the notification came up, and when I hit WinKey+A it's in the Action Center.

I have never made any specific list of the notifications that don't land there.  They're the minority, that's for sure, or at least the minority of notifications I receive.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Shirley Tracy

Thanks Bill, and everyone else who responded.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy