moderated Reformatting a computer

Tom Cramer

Hello,
I have a laptop that I'd like to completely wipe out and basically
start it over as a brand new machine with Windows 10. Am I able to do
this? How would I either load or reload Windows 10? I can load JAWS
when I'm done.
I simply don't want to do something from which I couldn't recover.
TC

Joseph Machise

TC there is a way of doing it sorry don't remember it will wipe out your
hard drive it is someware in your recover system.

----- Original Message -----
To: <undisclosed-recipients:>
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2022 10:22 PM
Subject: Reformatting a computer

Hello,
when I'm done.
TC

Glenn / Lenny

If you download the windows 10 stub install file, it will give you the option to wipe the drive and install a clean copy.

----- Original Message -----
To: <undisclosed-recipients:>
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2022 9:22 PM

Hello,
when I'm done.
TC

Cornelius

Hello Tom,
You can do it with just a few preparation.
What you need at first is to backup all important data from the laptop. After that, you need a windows 10 bootable USB. You can google for the Media creation tool and use it to download a copy of windows 10 media suitable for your laptop.
To wipe off and reinstall windows 10 fresh, connect the bootable USB to your laptop, press the power button to turn it on, then immediately press the appropriate key to get into the boot menu. It can be either f12, f11, or the escape key depending on the brand of laptop you have. For this boot part you may need sighted person to help you choose the USB drive, unless you remember the correct sequence. If things doesn't work out, chances are you need to go into bios and turn off secure boot for it to work.
Once you have successfully boot off the USB, and the windows installation screen comes out, you can turn on narrator and complete the installation of windows.
If you find this task overwhelming, then I would suggest send it to a shop or ask someone with experience to do it for you.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2022 11:22 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:

Hello,
when I'm done.
TC

Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

~ Kim Chernin

Robert Cole

Hi,
If you type reset into the search box on the windows start menu, reset this PC will show.
Follow the instructions. You will not need to boot from USB or DVD.
You will be asked to reinstall from this computer, or download from the internet.
I think you should choose to download from the internet.
Dont be afraid when you loose speech, just give it a while and try Narrator with ctrl+windows+enter.
Good luck!
Rob

On Mar 11, 2022, at 10:22 PM, Tom Cramer <tom.cramer1@...> wrote:

Hello,
when I'm done.
TC

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 12:05 PM, Robert Cole wrote:
You will be asked to reinstall from this computer, or download from the internet.
-
I never use the Reset option, as I want to completely wipe the system drive, too, but Reset is an ideal option for the situation at hand.

I agree that you definitely want to choose the "Download from the internet" option if it's presented.  That will get you the very latest version of Windows 10 directly from Microsoft rather than using the built-in recovery partition, which most often contains a very old Windows 10 version if you've owned the machine for several years.

If there is now a choice that's a change, and a positive one, from the early days of the Reset function.  One of the reasons I avoided it was that in the early days it always used the recovery partition which not only got you an older version of WIndows which then needed to have a feature update applied, but also most frequently got you the computer maker's bloatware as well.

When I want a "fresh machine" I want Windows as Microsoft ships it, sans any bloatware.
--

~ Kim Chernin

Cornelius

If the intention is to wipe the system, then using a USB drive will be ideal.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2022 1:05 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Reformatting a computer

Hi,
If you type reset into the search box on the windows start menu, reset this PC will show.
Follow the instructions. You will not need to boot from USB or DVD.
I think you should choose to download from the internet.
Dont be afraid when you loose speech, just give it a while and try Narrator with ctrl+windows+enter.
Good luck!
Rob

On Mar 11, 2022, at 10:22 PM, Tom Cramer <tom.cramer1@...> wrote:

Hello,
when I'm done.
TC

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 09:21 PM, Cornelius wrote:
-
The use of the word "wipe" is always problematic because it carries different meaning, particularly to tech geeks.

Based upon the original query, it sounds to me like the interest is in getting a fresh copy of Windows 10 that's in "out of the box" state, but not necessarily in wiping (as in completely removing by overwriting) the old data on the drive.  A quick format, which is part of a reset, is fine in this case.  It's the same as using my instructions but doing the "clean" command of diskpart instead of "clean all".  For all practical intents and purposes, the drive "looks blank" from the quick format, but if someone were to use forensic data recovery software the data that had been stored on it could be recovered.

If the original owner is keeping the machine, and wanting a fresh start, then a full, true drive wipe is generally unnecessary.  If, however, the intention is to make the machine such that it can be handed off to a new owner with zero chance of pulling old data off the drive using data recovery techniques, then a drive wipe is absolutely necessary.  And the only way to do that is via a completely clean reinstall, using bootable media, and using the "clean all" command of diskpart to wipe the drive of all data first.
--

~ Kim Chernin

Cornelius

Wow Bryan, you are going very detail into this which I appreciate.
But from the previous message, it seems he just wants a clean install. Anyway, let’s wait for Tom’s reply to see where this goes.

Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2022 10:41 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Reformatting a computer

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 09:21 PM, Cornelius wrote:
-
The use of the word "wipe" is always problematic because it carries different meaning, particularly to tech geeks.

Based upon the original query, it sounds to me like the interest is in getting a fresh copy of Windows 10 that's in "out of the box" state, but not necessarily in wiping (as in completely removing by overwriting) the old data on the drive.  A quick format, which is part of a reset, is fine in this case.  It's the same as using my instructions but doing the "clean" command of diskpart instead of "clean all".  For all practical intents and purposes, the drive "looks blank" from the quick format, but if someone were to use forensic data recovery software the data that had been stored on it could be recovered.

If the original owner is keeping the machine, and wanting a fresh start, then a full, true drive wipe is generally unnecessary.  If, however, the intention is to make the machine such that it can be handed off to a new owner with zero chance of pulling old data off the drive using data recovery techniques, then a drive wipe is absolutely necessary.  And the only way to do that is via a completely clean reinstall, using bootable media, and using the "clean all" command of diskpart to wipe the drive of all data first.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

~ Kim Chernin