From: Ann Byrne [mailto:annakb@sbcglobal.net]
Subject: Reading visible text in a cell
Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 8:03 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
The text "Wednesday is the middle of the week" has been entered into
cell a1 of a spreadsheet with default width of 8.11 points.  It
overlaps, of course into at least the next two cells.  How can I
determine what is actually displayed in a1?  F2 reads all the text,
whether displayed or not. Routing JAWS to PC speaks
What else can I try?

Thx,
'blank'.

.

Justin Williams

F2 will read text in a cell.
It will say edit, and you can reas whatever is in the cell.

Justin

using the JAWS cursor to read the text on the screen is the only way that I'm aware of. if there's another way, I'd like to know as well.

The text "Wednesday is the middle of the week" has been entered into
cell a1 of a spreadsheet with default width of 8.11 points. It
overlaps, of course into at least the next two cells. How can I
determine what is actually displayed in a1? F2 reads all the text,
whether displayed or not. Routing JAWS to PC speaks
What else can I try?

Thx,
'blank'.

.

Ann Byrne

Using Excel 2019 with JAWS 2021 latest, I can't read visible text with the JAWS cursor.

At 08:33 AM 6/30/2021, you wrote:
using the JAWS cursor to read the text on the screen is the only way that I'm aware of. if there's another way, I'd like to know as well.

The text "Wednesday is the middle of the week" has been entered into
cell a1 of a spreadsheet with default width of 8.11 points. It
overlaps, of course into at least the next two cells. How can I
determine what is actually displayed in a1? F2 reads all the text,
whether displayed or not. Routing JAWS to PC speaks
What else can I try?

Thx,
'blank'.

.

Ann Byrne

thanks, Justin. F2 reads the full contents of the cell, whether it is visible on the screen or not. I want a command that reads only the 8 or so characters in the cell I am in, not the total contents that overflow behind the next cell.

At 08:45 AM 6/30/2021, you wrote:
F2 will read text in a cell.
It will say edit, and you can reas whatever is in the cell.

Justin

using the JAWS cursor to read the text on the screen is the only way that I'm aware of. if there's another way, I'd like to know as well.

The text "Wednesday is the middle of the week" has been entered into
cell a1 of a spreadsheet with default width of 8.11 points. It
overlaps, of course into at least the next two cells. How can I
determine what is actually displayed in a1? F2 reads all the text,
whether displayed or not. Routing JAWS to PC speaks
What else can I try?

Thx,
'blank'.

.

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi Ann,

As far as I know there's no JAWS command to speak the length of the string displayed in a cell. There are script functions to calculate the length of a string in JAWS but you need a lot of infos, for example font name, font size, bold or italic and so on to do this. And then you need more scripting to get the length of the cell. If you want to make sure the string is completely in your cell you could use the shortcut Alt + H, then O, and then I.

Good luck
Udo

At 08:33 AM 6/30/2021, you wrote:
using the JAWS cursor to read the text on the screen is the only way that I'm aware of. if there's another way, I'd like to know as well.

The text "Wednesday is the middle of the week" has been entered into
cell a1 of a spreadsheet with default width of 8.11 points. It
overlaps, of course into at least the next two cells. How can I
determine what is actually displayed in a1? F2 reads all the text,
whether displayed or not. Routing JAWS to PC speaks
What else can I try?

Thx,
'blank'.

.

Mario

seeing your response to Justin's post, I misunderstood your question. But I'm glad it's been solved for you.

The text "Wednesday is the middle of the week" has been entered into
cell a1 of a spreadsheet with default width of 8.11 points.  It
overlaps, of course into at least the next two cells.  How can I
determine what is actually displayed in a1?  F2 reads all the text,
whether displayed or not. Routing JAWS to PC speaks
What else can I try?

Thx,
'blank'.

.

.

Justin Williams

What was the solution?

Justin

At 08:33 AM 6/30/2021, you wrote:
using the JAWS cursor to read the text on the screen is the only way that I'm aware of. if there's another way, I'd like to know as well.

The text "Wednesday is the middle of the week" has been entered into cell a1 of a spreadsheet with default width of 8.11 points. It overlaps, of course into at least the next two cells. How can I determine what is actually displayed in a1? F2 reads all the text, whether displayed or not. Routing JAWS to PC speaks What else can I try?

Thx,
'blank'.

.

.

Scott Pearl

Ann,
I'm sorry this doesn't totally answer your question but it may help a little. If you go into JAWS Quick Settings with insert-V, then in the edit box type in "cell text visibility" it should come up with that option. If you enable this option it will tell you if it overlaps and about how many cells it overlaps to. But, unfortunately, I'm not aware of how to get it to read only the text you're seeking.

using the JAWS cursor to read the text on the screen is the only way
that I'm aware of. if there's another way, I'd like to know as well.

The text "Wednesday is the middle of the week" has been entered into
cell a1 of a spreadsheet with default width of 8.11 points. It
overlaps, of course into at least the next two cells. How can I
determine what is actually displayed in a1? F2 reads all the text,
whether displayed or not. Routing JAWS to PC speaks What else can I
try?

Thx,
'blank'.

.

Ann Byrne

thanks for the response. Here's what Vispero says:
Thank you for contacting Technical Support.

Unfortunately, there is no way to just have JAWS read the visible text. your best bet here is to widen the column so that all the text will fit.

At 02:19 PM 6/30/2021, you wrote:
[...]

Rebecca Clark

Hi Ann
Not sure if this is helpful, or you are already aware, but to auto-fit the column width to the text in it you can do the following.

1.Select the Column you are in with Ctrl+ Space
2. Press Alt+H to get to the Home Tab
3. Press ZC For Cell
4. Press O for Format Cell
5 Press I for Auto- format column width

Ann Byrne

Thank you. I don't want to change the size of the cell. what I want is to know which characters are visible on the screen when a cell is truncated.

At 05:50 PM 6/30/2021, you wrote:

Hi Ann
Not sure if this is helpful, or you are already aware, but to auto-fit the column width to the text in it you can do the following.

1.Select the Column you are in with Ctrl+ Space
2. Press Alt+H to get to the Home Tab
3. Press ZC For Cell
4. Press O for Format Cell
5 Press I for Auto- format column width

NFB Lab 4

Hi Ann,
I hope some of this sheds some light on your issue.
To turn on cell text announcement you hit insert v for quick settings while
in excel. Type in cell text and arrow down to cell text visability detect
and space to turn it on. This will announce when something is truncated.

Now,
As far as I know there is no way to have it tell you what is shown, but
remember that 10 characters can be seen with the default column width and
font size. .

Sorry if this didn't help.
Take care,
Thom

From: Ann Byrne [mailto:annakb@sbcglobal.net]
Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 8:03 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
The text "Wednesday is the middle of the week" has been entered into
cell a1 of a spreadsheet with default width of 8.11 points. It
overlaps, of course into at least the next two cells. How can I
determine what is actually displayed in a1? F2 reads all the text,
whether displayed or not. Routing JAWS to PC speaks What else can I
try?

Thx,
'blank'.

.

Hi Ann,

The best workaround I've come up with to give you what you want is to turn
on wrap text for the format of the column you're checking as explained in my
checking, for example the cell containing Wednesday is the middle of the
week per your original post, press F2 to edit that cell, and press ctrl +
home, Fusion speaks what is displayed in line 1 of the wrapped text. It will
speak the other wrapped lines as you arrow up and down while in edit mode.
Based on what is spoken for the first line, you can work out what is
truncated when wrap text is turned off.

I hope this helps.

Alan Lemly

At 05:50 PM 6/30/2021, you wrote:

Hi Ann
Not sure if this is helpful, or you are already aware, but to auto-fit
the column width to the text in it you can do the following.

1.Select the Column you are in with Ctrl+ Space 2. Press Alt+H to get
to the Home Tab 3. Press ZC For Cell 4. Press O for Format Cell
5 Press I for Auto- format column width

Ann Byrne

thanks, Alan. that works. Not convenient, but workable. FS says you can't read just the visible text; fun to prove them wrong. (LOL)

At 05:50 PM 6/30/2021, you wrote:

Hi Ann
Not sure if this is helpful, or you are already aware, but to auto-fit
the column width to the text in it you can do the following.

1.Select the Column you are in with Ctrl+ Space 2. Press Alt+H to get
to the Home Tab 3. Press ZC For Cell 4. Press O for Format Cell
5 Press I for Auto- format column width

Marty Hutchings

I know that back in JAWS 16 and Windows XP, this was possible using the JAWS cursor.  Now, you may have to use BE MY EYES ap on your phone to get someone to tell you what is visible.

At 05:50 PM 6/30/2021, you wrote:

Hi Ann
Not sure if this is helpful, or you are already aware, but to auto-fit the column width to the text in it you can do the following.

1.Select the Column you are in with Ctrl+ Space
2. Press Alt+H to get to the Home Tab
3. Press ZC For Cell
4. Press O for Format Cell
5 Press I for Auto- format column width

Ann Byrne

Yes, I remember using the JAWS cursor. Can't do it now, though. I know it's Windows and new interfacing and such, but it feels like regression. Booooo hoooo!

At 05:50 PM 6/30/2021, you wrote:

Hi Ann
Not sure if this is helpful, or you are already aware, but to auto-fit the column width to the text in it you can do the following.

1.Select the Column you are in with Ctrl+ Space
2. Press Alt+H to get to the Home Tab
3. Press ZC For Cell
4. Press O for Format Cell
5 Press I for Auto- format column width

Mario

well, I'm using JAWS 2020 and Excel 2010 on Windows 10, and am able to use the JAWS cursor.