moderated Reading Spanish content with JAWS

Rahul Bajaj

Hi,

I am learning Spanish and want JAWS to read out in Spanish the content
that is in Spanish. I write stuff in Spanish in two ways:

First, By using the English keyboard and spelling words in Spanish
e.g. hablar, amigos, hola, muy bien, etc.

Alternatively, I use the Spanish keyboard where the text I type
appears in Spanish.

However, the problem that I face is this. I want to be in a situation
where JAWS reads the Spanish content with a Spanish accent and the
English content with an English accent. If I switch to a Spanish JAWS
voice, everything is read out in Spanish, even the stuff in plain
English. The moment I write even a small word using Spanish
characters, JAWS will read the whole sentence with a Spanish accent.
This makes the English component of the sentence impossible to
decipher.

can anyone suggest ways to toggle between the English and Spanish
speech synthesizers on the fly, so I can switch from one to the other
mid-sentence? This way, i will be able to read the Spanish component
with a Spanish accent and the English component with an English
accent.

Thank you. Please do not suggest any Braille-related solutions.

Thank you.

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Milton Ota

You might want to try different Spanish voices from the list of Vocalizer speech engines by first going to the Freedom Scientific Download section of the website and testing the voices there.

Once you have found the voice you want in Spanish pull up the Options menu in your version of JAWS open that menu and and press the letter V for voices and then press the letter A for adding a Voice.

I think you can also download a self-extracting voice file and run its installation from wherever your downloads are saved.

HTH

[...]

Leo

Hi,
Assuming that the Synth that you're using supports Spanish language, I would suggest two ways to go around this:
1. Turning on automatic language detection under text processing in setting center. This option will switch the synth language automatically based on the markup document, usually web pages or even a word document, always that the document or web page is using tags for languages. The pitfall in this option is that not all documents or pages use tags.

2. You can create profiles for voices in different languages. In this way whenever you want to switch from one language to another, you just bring up the profile dialogue box, Jaws key plus control plus s, select the name profile you want, and push enter.

I switch back and forth between English and Spanish all the time, and I have found the second option to be more efficient for me, but this is just how I Like it to be. I got a bunch of voice profiles created with different rate parameters, depending on the activity I'm trying to carry out. What I do to switch really fast among profiles is giving each profile a name starting with a unique letter, so that I can type it fast, and hit enter on the fly. For instance, The name for my default English profile is eloquence, and for this synth, I set up a profile named lat, which is eloquence using the Spanish voice, so let's say right now I want to switch to Spanish, all I do is pressing Jaws key plus control plus s, and presently, l, and hit enter.

Best,
Leo Bado.

[...]

Cohn, Jonathan

Hello,
You did not mention which system you are writing in when you want automatic language switching to occur. On web sites the web site can specify a language for any part of the web page. The only other system I am aware of that supports language switching is Microsoft Office. In Microsoft Office one can pick the Language in the proofing ribbon and not only will Office respect the spelling / grammar of the  selected language, but JAWS will change speech when it sees this change.
HTH!
Jonathan Cohn