moderated Reading phone numbers: Opinions

Mark

Are there opinions on how to write phone numbers and extensions in a way that is user-friendly with JAWS?  I can't seem to find a setting in the  JAWS setting center that might do conversions.

Serious request:  Define the format(s) you consider to be phone numbers.

Depending on your part of the world, this varies quite a bit.  The only way I can even think of for trying to do matches on phone number formats would be the use of regular expressions, and I don't think JAWS supports that.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Annabelle Susan Morison

Do you mean where JAWS would say something like, "three one o, three two two, five five o o"? I'm trying to find that setting myself, and I can't seem to tell which way to turn for that one.

On 03/11/2022 3:27 PM Mark <mweiler@...> wrote:

Are there opinions on how to write phone numbers and extensions in a way that is user-friendly with JAWS?  I can't seem to find a setting in the  JAWS setting center that might do conversions.

Van Lant, Robin

The real challenge is  that people type them in so many different ways, even here in the U.s.  I just looked in Quick Settings and found one setting that helps.  I typed “number” in search and found “Speak Single Digits if Number Contains Dashes checked” which would work for numbers written that way.  What I find though are people who use a period, do or don’t use the parentheses, use a slash to separate the area code, or just run the whole number together.    In that settings section for numbers, I also found a threshold setting for when JAWS reads individual digits.  Mine is set to 5.  I don’t’ think I’ve ever really thought about this an; seems like that threshold would be good in some cases and annoying in others   I cannot really figure out how it works though.  It might also depending on the synthesizer you are using. In a quick test, I just typed one hundred thousand in numbers.  If I include the comma, it reds it out as I would hope, but  without the comma, it reads it as digits.  So, lots of factors that can be at play with number interpretation.

I personally like the phone number written with hyphens, as

Robin

Are there opinions on how to write phone numbers and extensions in a way that is user-friendly with JAWS?  I can't seem to find a setting in the  JAWS setting center that might do conversions.

KeyCorp Public

KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. prohibits the use of texts or other unapproved messaging applications for business purposes.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Adrian Spratt

I remember needing to answer this question for myself, and the answer has varied with different versions of JAWS. I notice that I have the following in quick settings:

Speak Single Digits if Number Contains Dashes

This works for me. I note also that when I put the area code in parentheses, JAWS still verbalizes single digits.

Of course, this is for the US and Canada. As Brian notes, other countries have very different numbering sequences. Still, my JAWS quick setting handles those in the UK and France just fine.

--

My novel Caroline is now available in paperback, Kindle and audiobook versions: https://adrianspratt.com/book/

Are there opinions on how to write phone numbers and extensions in a way that is user-friendly with JAWS?  I can't seem to find a setting in the  JAWS setting center that might do conversions.

JM Casey

To write them in a way that JAWS, at least using Vocaliser voices (not sure if this, like abbreviations, is also somewhat synth dependent, but I suspect not), separate area code, prefix/exchange and last four digts with – (dash character).

I wouldn’t’ worry much about converting from other formats – people write these in a variety of ways and the screen-reader does its best. Does it really bother you when you hear a phone number read out in a non-standard way (iE, as a large number with seven or ten digits)…I must say I hardly even notice anymore so long as it’s read – the way in which its spoken doesn’t even register anymore after so many years of using voice output.