moderated reading pdfs

Justin Williams

It just seems as if reading pdfs are hits and misses.

I've downloaded severaol, but can't read them all.

What methods can we use for this?

It seems as fi the methods change time and time again?

Even when I try the brosers, the books don's all work

Justin

Bill White

Hi, Justin. That's because all pdf's aren't created equal. Some are photos, imported into a pdf. Others are in columns, and sometimes don't read well with a screen reader, because the screen reader is optimized for reading rows across the screen, not columns vertically down the screen. Some pdf's are text, but the spacing in the pdf is odd, so when you try to extract the optical text, words are run together. Some pdf's are so large that it is necessary to read only the visible pages. Because of all the variability between pdf documents, no method is going to get it right 100% of the time.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

It just seems as if reading pdfs are hits and misses.

I've downloaded severaol, but can't read them all.

What methods can we use for this?

It seems as fi the methods change time and time again?

Even when I try the brosers, the books don's all work

Justin

Kestrel Verlager <kestrell@...>

If you have already gone through the Acrobat accessibility settings  setup, there is one more setting you should fix to ensure PDF documents are accessible with a screen reader, and that is turning off protected view. David Kingsbury covers this in his book _The Windows Screen Reader Primer_, which can be downloaded here

https://carroll.org/the-windows-screen-reader-primer/

I will add that there are a couple of other PDF accessibility issues with screen readers which David also discusses in his book, one of which is a reading order issue. If you have an issue where it sounds as if words are being smooshed together with no spaces between them, post again and I will explain about how to potentially fix that issue, also.

Here is the section heading and the instructions:

10.1.1

There is one more change to make. Disabling Protected view is absolutely crucial. Until you do this, you simply will not be able to read PDF’s with your screen reader. Steps are:

1.            Press Alt to open the menu, Right arrow once to the Edit menu, Up arrow to Preferences, and press Enter.

2.            This opens a categories list. Press S until you get to Security enhanced.

3.            Tab once to the Enable Protected view at startup checkbox and press the Spacebar to uncheck it.

4.            Tab to the OK button and press Enter.

5.            Pres Alt F4 to close Acrobat Reader and then reopen it. The application must be closed for this change to take effect.

Kestrell

It just seems as if reading pdfs are hits and misses.

I've downloaded severaol, but can't read them all.

What methods can we use for this?

It seems as fi the methods change time and time again?

Even when I try the brosers, the books don's all work

Justin

David Kingsbury

Hi,
As Kestrell and others have pointed out, you can run into various problems with PDF's. For best results generally, use Adobe Acrobat Reader rather than one of the browser PDF readers. And you can read about the vvarious issues encountered and how to deal with them in Chapter 10 of my book.
Regards,
David

Karen Reynolds

HI,
I find that even with using adobe Acrobat Reader that I still have to
play around with the accessibility settings with some pdf files.
Others I have given up on and arrow down to them in my documents and I
think it is either application key or right mouse button and arrow
down to OCR and let it run and open it in a document.

Karen

On 6/2/22, David Kingsbury <davidkingsbury77@...> wrote:
Hi,
As Kestrell and others have pointed out, you can run into various problems
with PDF's. For best results generally, use Adobe Acrobat Reader rather than
one of the browser PDF readers. And you can read about the vvarious issues
encountered and how to deal with them in Chapter 10 of my book.
Regards,
David

Justin Williams

I just tied to get to your book and was unable too.

Justin

As Kestrell and others have pointed out, you can run into various problems with PDF's. For best results generally, use Adobe Acrobat Reader rather than one of the browser PDF readers. And you can read about the vvarious issues encountered and how to deal with them in Chapter 10 of my book.
Regards,
David

Justin Williams

I've tried to type it in, search for it, and follow the links on the carol page.

Can't find it.

Justin

It just seems as if reading pdfs are hits and misses.

I've downloaded severaol, but can't read them all.

What methods can we use for this?

It seems as fi the methods change time and time again?

Even when I try the brosers, the books don's all work

Justin

Justin Williams

Where are the accessibility features?

Justin

I find that even with using adobe Acrobat Reader that I still have to play around with the accessibility settings with some pdf files.
Others I have given up on and arrow down to them in my documents and I think it is either application key or right mouse button and arrow down to OCR and let it run and open it in a document.

Karen

On 6/2/22, David Kingsbury <davidkingsbury77@...> wrote:
Hi,
As Kestrell and others have pointed out, you can run into various
problems with PDF's. For best results generally, use Adobe Acrobat
Reader rather than one of the browser PDF readers. And you can read
about the vvarious issues encountered and how to deal with them in Chapter 10 of my book.
Regards,
David

Karen Reynolds

Open Adobe.
Press Alt E.
Up arrow twice to accessibility.
Right arrow to Change reading options and press enter.
or down arrow once to Setup assistant and press enter.

Karen

I find that even with using adobe Acrobat Reader that I still have to play around with the accessibility settings with some pdf files.
Others I have given up on and arrow down to them in my documents and I think it is either application key or right mouse button and arrow down to OCR and let it run and open it in a document.

Karen

On 6/2/22, David Kingsbury <davidkingsbury77@...> wrote:
Hi,
As Kestrell and others have pointed out, you can run into various
problems with PDF's. For best results generally, use Adobe Acrobat
Reader rather than one of the browser PDF readers. And you can read
about the vvarious issues encountered and how to deal with them in Chapter 10 of my book.
Regards,
David

Tim Ford

Boy, what a thrill to receive this email, and have all my PDF reading problems disappear! Thank you!

Tim Ford

[...]

Hi Tim,
Love the snark.

I spent part of yesterday copying a pdf and pasting it into notepad, then because it was in columns, I had to put it in the right order. Some pages were correct, some copied the right column and then the left. I couldn't get Jaws to read the pdf very well which is why I copied and pasted it into notepad. I tried the OCR and that didn't work well either. Sometimes it takes time to play around with the settings to get Jaws to read pdfs correctly. I do know that if the pdf is not a graphic that using the first option and changing the way it reads to left to right top to bottom usually works. If it is a graphic usually the OCR works. I have had to print them sometimes and scanning them back into the computer using Openbook.

Entertaining not being able to see, isn't it?

Karen

[...]

Karen,

I just spent around a dozen hours dealing with a PDF document conversion. I had all the issues you mentioned. I also found a very weird bug that I have seen before, where there are a number of miss-spelled words. In this document, the letter I was missing in random words, and for all occurrences of that word throughout the 68 page document. Adobe has tried to be more accessible, but their product seems to miss the mark. Thanks again for your recommendation; not sure why my Adobe was not already set correctly.

Tim
that I had to post to a special web site

[...]

What do you do if freedom import printer does not work?

I've not done it for quite some time.

Don't you OCR it, or convert it to work or another format?

Justin?

[...]

I do try OCr. If in the end nothing I do works, I assume it is a graphic and print it out and scan it. I know this doesn't really work as a great idea for 100 page documents. <smile>

Karen

[...]

There are quite a few options in the setup and you can run that at any time and change them. Sometimes I just keep making changes until I get it to work.

The one I worked on yesterday had lots of words where they were split in the middle and parts attached to either word on each side of it. I do have to admit that once I get a pdf cleaned up and into a txt file, I save it. I don't want to repeat that process with it again later. It isn't perfect, Adobe could do more to make pdfs accessible, but there are some tricks that can be tried.

Also, I've noticed that with the first option, when you change the reading order, arrow down and check the check box to say don't show this to me again. If you don't, the next pdf won't read because that box is trying to come up and sometimes Jaws doesn't read the dialog box, especially for me when I'm impatient. <smile> It takes awhile to come up and during that time from opening the pdf until then, if I do anything on the computer it won't read the dialog box and I have to close the pdf and open it again and wait, or go back into the edit menu and into accessibility and try it again.

[...]

Shirley Tracy

David,

I tried to order your book but kept getting an error message. It didn’t tell me what I must have filled out wrong. I was able to donate—because I think it’s a good cause—but I can’t download your book. Any suggestions?

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

As Kestrell and others have pointed out, you can run into various problems with PDF's. For best results generally, use Adobe Acrobat Reader rather than one of the browser PDF readers. And you can read about the vvarious issues encountered and how to deal with them in Chapter 10 of my book.
Regards,
David

Andrew J. LaPointe

Hi David Kingsbury and all, I couldn’t download the book either. I answered and filled out everything until the end and it wouldn’t do anything else.  Andy and Leroy

I tried to order your book but kept getting an error message. It didn’t tell me what I must have filled out wrong. I was able to donate—because I think it’s a good cause—but I can’t download your book. Any suggestions?

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

As Kestrell and others have pointed out, you can run into various problems with PDF's. For best results generally, use Adobe Acrobat Reader rather than one of the browser PDF readers. And you can read about the vvarious issues encountered and how to deal with them in Chapter 10 of my book.
Regards,
David

Gezim Rexha

Hi,

Could someone please recall me how to save a PDF as a Word document? I remember one had to select and paste text into a blank Word document, but I don’t remember the keystroke to save it as such.

Cheers,

Gezim