Topics

moderated Reading Kindle Books using Jaws

M Tobia

Hi Group,

Does anyone have any hands on experience reading Amazon Kindle books using Jaws on a PC.  I am accessing read.amazon.com using Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Firefox  with no success.   I find that Kindle is slow and often unresponsive.

Any hot keys or keystrokes to help me navigate pages and chapters would be much appreciated.  The only keystrokes I found was pressing the letter U to jump to the next link and the letter N to do something else.  Neither of these keystrokes actually help me navigate to the next page or next chapter.  I would be find if it would allow me to read continuously, but I cannot seem to be able to do that either.

I have contacted Freedom Scientific and all they said was that Jaws was supposed to be accessible with a screen reader, but could not offer any specific. The standard keystrokes to navigate webpages or documents do not work with Kindle.

I spoke to Amazon support and they had no idea how to navigate Kindle using a screen reader.

Thanks for any assistance.

Mario

Jim Fettgather

You will enjoy a much more accessible reading experience if you
download the Kindle for PC program, which works very well with Jaws.
There is no cost for the program.
The web experience is quite dismal, but Kindle for PC works well.
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Digital-Services-LLC-Download/dp/B00UB76290

On 7/1/20, M Tobia <mmmat3@...> wrote:
[...]

Shirley Tracy

Just to affirm Jim’s message. I have found Kindle for PC to be easy to use.

Shirley Tracy

On 7/1/20, M Tobia <mmmat3@...> wrote:

> Hi Group,

> Does anyone have any hands on experience reading Amazon Kindle books using

> Jaws on a PC.  I am accessing read.amazon.com using Google Chrome, Microsoft

> Edge and Firefox  with no success.   I find that Kindle is slow and often

> unresponsive.

> Any hot keys or keystrokes to help me navigate pages and chapters would be

> much appreciated.  The only keystrokes I found was pressing the letter U to

> jump to the next link and the letter N to do something else.  Neither of

> these keystrokes actually help me navigate to the next page or next chapter.

>  I would be find if it would allow me to read continuously, but I cannot

> seem to be able to do that either.

> I have contacted Freedom Scientific and all they said was that Jaws was

> supposed to be accessible with a screen reader, but could not offer any

> specific. The standard keystrokes to navigate webpages or documents do not

> work with Kindle.

> I spoke to Amazon support and they had no idea how to navigate Kindle using

> a screen reader.

> Thanks for any assistance.

> Mario

M Tobia

Thanks, I finally got it working.  When I downloaded the Kindle for PC file it did not install properly.  I uninstalled and reinstalled it twice and now it is working as expected.  The Kindle app is accessible and I am able to read my books from my computer.

Thanks for all your help.

Mario