moderated Reading Kindle Book Seems Broken in Jaws2022

Ed Culpepper

I have installed Jaws 2022 on my computers and have had trouble reading Kindle books on both my desktop and laptop computers. I have been accustomed to reading by using Jaws keystrokes as I would read a Word or other document. Now, however, the only way I can read is to enable “text to speech” in Kindle (Ctrl t) and start or pause reading with the shift-spacebar keystroke. I cannot navigate the text by character, word, sentence, or any of the standard Jaws ways of reading a text. This is occurring in books that I had begun reading prior to installing Jaws 2022 and had been using Jaws keyboard commands to navigate and read the Kindle books. From this description can anyone diagnose something that I am doing wrong? Is this a giant step backwards in reading Kindle content with this version of Jaws?

Many thanks in advance for any restorative suggestions.

Ed Culpepper

J Edward Culpepper, PhD

Huntsville, Alabama

Shankar.C

Hi there,

From the table of contents, selecting any topic and pressing enter the content get loaded and the focus will be on the page, just turn off the virtual cursor and use arrow keys and try reading the book.

[...]

I should have mentioned that I can unload Jaws2022 and load Jaws2021 and all Jaws reading keystrokes work as expected in Kindle books. If I switch back to Jaws2022 nothing but Kindle keystrokes work to read a Kindle text. Jaws2022 appears to be broken for reading Kindle books. I have contacted Vispero/Freedom Scientific tech support but have not heard back yet.

J Edward Culpepper, PhD

Huntsville, Alabama

Brian Zolo

Hey there, Ed, Brian Zolo here in Gahanna, Ohio, feel free to call me BZ, grin!  That’s not the only thing that’s not working in jaws 2022.  I ended up notifying vispero technical support that changing apps by file types isn’t working either and it works fine in jaws 2021.  They were able to duplicate the issue and generated a ticket so don’t hesitate to get back in touch with them and see if they can reproduce the problem.  Have a great weekend!  BZ!