moderated re jaws and vpn's

stewartross

hi can someone tell me if jaws works with any vpn's?
if so which ones?
regards from stew

James English

Hi,

I use surfshark and it works fine. It's also cheap and fast, and they
don't keep logs. No I'm not on commission.

- James

On 7/16/21, stewartross via groups.io <stewartross=sky.com@groups.io> wrote:
hi can someone tell me if jaws works with any vpn's?
if so which ones?
regards from stew

Edward Green

Hi Stew,

As long as your VPN provider of choice lets you see its relevant settings, then you can key them in manually into Windows.

This is a bit more work but it's no more complicated than setting up an email account manually, and the massive advantage is that you don’t need to care whether your VPN provider’s software is accessible or worry whether they might break it during an update.

Cheers,

Ed

On 16 July 2021 20:00:05 "stewartross via groups.io" <stewartross@...> wrote:

hi can someone tell me if jaws works with any vpn's?
if so which ones?
regards from stew

leonard morris

I do use a VPN express VPN to be exact and it works just fine with Jaws.

As long as your VPN provider of choice lets you see its relevant settings, then you can key them in manually into Windows.

This is a bit more work but it's no more complicated than setting up an email account manually, and the massive advantage is that you don’t need to care whether your VPN provider’s software is accessible or worry whether they might break it during an update.

Cheers,

Ed

On 16 July 2021 20:00:05 "stewartross via groups.io" <stewartross@...> wrote:

hi can someone tell me if jaws works with any vpn's?
if so which ones?
regards from stew

Bill White

Hi, Ed. How do you key VPN settings manually into Windows if you have a VPN that isn't JAWS accessible?

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

As long as your VPN provider of choice lets you see its relevant settings, then you can key them in manually into Windows.

This is a bit more work but it's no more complicated than setting up an email account manually, and the massive advantage is that you don’t need to care whether your VPN provider’s software is accessible or worry whether they might break it during an update.

Cheers,

Ed

On 16 July 2021 20:00:05 "stewartross via groups.io" <stewartross@...> wrote:

hi can someone tell me if jaws works with any vpn's?

if so which ones?

regards from stew

Edward Green

Hi Bill,

Press Windows key+i to bring up settings.

Press enter on Network and Internet from the list.

From the next list, press enter on VVPN.

Alternatively, just typing “VPN” in the search box that appears when you press the Windows key will probably get you there.

Cheers,

Ed

Hi, Ed. How do you key VPN settings manually into Windows if you have a VPN that isn't JAWS accessible?

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

As long as your VPN provider of choice lets you see its relevant settings, then you can key them in manually into Windows.

This is a bit more work but it's no more complicated than setting up an email account manually, and the massive advantage is that you don’t need to care whether your VPN provider’s software is accessible or worry whether they might break it during an update.

Cheers,

Ed

On 16 July 2021 20:00:05 "stewartross via groups.io" <stewartross@...> wrote:

hi can someone tell me if jaws works with any vpn's?

if so which ones?

regards from stew

Jed Barton

How is surfshark? What are we talking for a plan? Never set up a
vpn, so just curious what's involved.
Cheers,

Jed

On 7/17/21, Edward Green <ergreen1981@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Bill,

Press Windows key+i to bring up settings.

Press enter on Network and Internet from the list.

From the next list, press enter on VVPN.

billwhite92701@att.net <mailto:billwhite92701@att.net>

<stewartross=sky.com@groups.io <mailto:stewartross=sky.com@groups.io> >
wrote:

hi can someone tell me if jaws works with any vpn's?

if so which ones?

regards from stew

Edward Green

Hi Jed,

In terms of setting up a VPN, you can either install the client provided or key the settings in manually.

Most people prefer the clients as you just tend to click on the location you want to connect to and you’re done. The problem is of course if the software is or becomes inaccessible.

Setting a connection up manually involves keying in a username, a couple of passwords and the address of the server you want to connect to.

It's a bit more work, but it's a one-time job. With my provider, I’ve set up five or six countries I want to be able to appear as though I’m in. Whenever I want to connect now, I just choose the correct one from the list.

Cheers,

Ed

On 7/17/21, Edward Green <ergreen1981@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

Press Windows key+i to bring up settings.

Press enter on Network and Internet from the list.

From the next list, press enter on VVPN.

billwhite92701@... <mailto:billwhite92701@...>

wrote:

hi can someone tell me if jaws works with any vpn's?

if so which ones?

regards from stew

Bill White

Hi, Ed. This only configures the VPN native to Windows. It doesn't configure the third-party VPN that is inaccessible. Besides that, the VPN that is native to Windows doesn't unblock streams that are blocked from the user's country of network origin.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Yes it does.

You do all that through the server addresses.

Cheers,

Ed

[...]

Dave Durber

Hello Bill:

I have never set up or used a VPN. I now live in the UK. When I lived in the US, I used to be able to stream audio from the BBC, through my BBC account. I understand that is no longer possible.

Does it mean, If I set up a VPN, and I am outside the UK, I can connect to a server in the UK, and stream audio and video, from sights,which restrict broadcasts to people living in the UK?

Dave

----- Original Message ----- from the BBC
[...]

Hi Dave,

Theoretically yes, and being able to stream things from other countries is my primary use case.

However, different broadcasters are more or less efficient about cracking down on VPN use. You may find yourself needing to try different in-country servers offered by your provider if one doesn’t work, so it's best to go with a provider with lots of servers in the country whose content you’re interested in accessing.

The BBC have become really annoying though. On mobile platforms at least, they now go off location services, making the VPN ineffective. I haven’t checked what they do on the PC.

Cheers,

Ed

On 18 July 2021 12:13:13 "Dave Durber" <d.durber@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi, Dave. Yes, some VPN's will allow you to stream sites that are restricted from your actual country of origin, but as far as I know, they have to be a premium VPN such as Express VPN.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

As an express VPN user I can tell you unfortunately Netflix gets blocked often where I had to restart the movie or content  I’m viewing to continue.

[...]

David Diamond

Maybe I’m off base here however, I use a VPN (Private internet access) so when I’m using a hot spot or public network that you find in restaurants, I’m safe from hackers, I thought.

[...]

Hi David,

You’re not off base at all.

Another use case for a VPN.

Cheers,

Ed

On 18 July 2021 16:13:07 "David Diamond" <Daviddiamond2019@...> wrote:

[...]

It's by no means a given, but obviously the premium VPNs tend to be better than the free ones.

Cheers,

Ed