Topics

moderated re arranging columns in thunderbird

Leo

Hi everyone,

I want to have jaws telling me the correspondent  info, ((the sender),  before everything else.

Time back, I did it using  the customize list view, but now I find it rather confusing,because I can't figure  out

the location of the columns in the dialogue box that pops up when I  go through all the options of customize list view.

In previous versions of jaws, the columns were listed, so all I had to do was to select a column and tab to find the options to move up or move down, according to what I wanted.

can this be done now?

I'm using jaws 2020 and latest thundderbird.

Best,
   Leo

The only way I've ever known to rearrange column order in Thunderbird is via drag and drop for the columns you've chosen to display.  This still works with JAWS simulated drag and drop, or at least it did the last time I had to do it that way.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Leo

Hi Brian,

I htought about trying to doing this using drag and drop, but to be honest, I never understood how to make it work,

first of all, I don't know how to reach the specific column. either using jaws cursor or using virtual cursor I can't figure out how to do it...

Best,
   Leo
On 3/11/2020 8:41 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

The only way I've ever known to rearrange column order in Thunderbird is via drag and drop for the columns you've chosen to display.  This still works with JAWS simulated drag and drop, or at least it did the last time I had to do it that way.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Mario

Leo, when I setup TB for the first time, I was a bit annoyed that there isn't a simple way to do this thru TB (I believe there is, but no one discovered how to yet), so I used an addon for NVDA that simplifies rearranging the order of column headers. so if you have NVDA, install the addon (the one for Mozilla enhancements) and issue the keystroke to rearrange the columns the way you like.

I know you are using JAWS, but I think it is better to make the change via TB because the change will be there as opposed to being screen reader dependant.

I want to have jaws telling me the correspondent  info, ((the sender),
before everything else.

Time back, I did it using  the customize list view, but now I find it
rather confusing,because I can't figure  out

the location of the columns in the dialogue box that pops up when I  go
through all the options of customize list view.

In previous versions of jaws, the columns were listed, so all I had to
do was to select a column and tab to find the options to move up or move
down, according to what I wanted.

can this be done now?

I'm using jaws 2020 and latest thundderbird.

Best,
Leo

Leo,

           I know that others have posted step-by-step instructions for doing this, so a search of the archives will turn that up.  I positively despise simulated drag and drop because I just never quite get it to work as I expect it will.

           If you have the option of getting sighted assistance, this rearranging can be done in a matter of seconds and seldom, if ever, needs to be done again if you have your columns ordered the way you want them when that rearranging is finished.  It can even be done via a remote session using something like Quick Assist (Win8 or Win10) or Teamviewer or JAWS Tandem similar if you have someone on the other end who can do the drag and drop, whether by sight or simulation using the screen reader.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

The tutorial I am remembering with regard to using screen reader drag and drop for Thunderbird column rearranging was written by Gene NZ (his online moniker) on his site accessibilitycentral.net, specifically the page:  http://accessibilitycentral.net/accessible%20email%20client%20mozilla%20thunderbird.html

The pertinent section:
-----------------------

Using drag and drop with NVDA to rearrange column headers in Mozilla Thunderbird

If you would like to move a column from one area to another in the email header, you will need to tab from tree view into your email message list. Next put NVDA into object navigation mode.  Use the NVDA key + the number 1 on the numeric keypad to do this.

If I wanted to move a particular column to another location (IE before or after the current column) I would do the following in the header of the email.

From the message list, I would press the NVDA key + the number 4 on the numeric keypad until I heard the name of the column I wanted to move (for example Status). I would then press NVDA + Numpad divide (above the number 8 on the numeric keypad) to route the mouse pointer there. Then you would press Shift + Numpad divide again to lock the left mouse button. Press the NVDA key + Numpad 4 again a number of times until you hear the name of the column immediately before the column I want to move the selected column to (for example next to unread). Press the NVDA key + Numpad divide to put the mouse pointer there, and press the Shift key + Numpad divide to unlock the left mouse button.

Please note: You can also use the NVDA key + the number 6 on the numeric keypad to move it back the other way then unlock it in that position.

Now, when you arrow down or up your messages, you will notice the difference when NVDA reads it out.

For an audio tutorial on how to insert and remove columns in Mozilla Thunderbird, as well as moving your column from one position to another using drag and drop with NVDA, please visit the following link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hxhyjwt1cwbrhm/adding%20or%20removing%20columns%20plus%20drag%20and%20dropping%20in%20mozilla%20thunderbird.MP3?dl=0
-------------------------------------

Even though it's written for NVDA the parallel concepts in JAWS for doing these steps apply.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Robert Cole

Hi,

I was able to arange colums with the NVDA Add-On for Thunder Bird 60.9.1

But no matter what I did, even after having a sighted person drag the colum for me, Thunder Bird 68 will not say Unread for new emails.

So I whent back to the previous version.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 01:26 PM, Robert Cole wrote:
But no matter what I did, even after having a sighted person drag the colum for me, Thunder Bird 68 will not say Unread for new emails.
Works fine for me, just a data point.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Leo

hmm, I'm currently using Thunderbird Version 68.5.0, and I have just rearranged order column using the nvda's addon. Now, I have switched to jaws 2020 and it perfectly announces unread for new incoming messages.

Best,
   Leo
On 3/11/2020 11:25 AM, Robert Cole via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

HI Mario,

I DID AS YOU TOLD ME TO DO, AND IT WORKED!

Now I have just switched back to jaws and everything goes great. Thanks for the heads up!

Best,