moderated Quick Settings are displayed in another language

Udo Egner-Walter

Hi all,

what's the best way to get in touch with Vispero, report errors and get informed about eliminating these errors or even if they can confirm this error.

I'm from Germany and here it's common to report this errors to our dealers and as fas as I know they enter the error description in a data base. In this case the error is reported some time ago and not fixed yet. Personally I think it's difficult to handle or to reproduce the error for Vispero, but it's frustrating not hearing anything about a solution.

I'm not one having this problem, but it's described from a lot of people here in Germany and is as follows:

If some persons using Quick Settings by pressing JAWS+6 they got all entries in English language although using German language. As far as I know the synthesizer is speaking the entries with German voice but the entries are in English.

Does anyone have any advice how to go on with this problem?

Udo

Mike B.

Hi Udo,

First let's get quick settings  and the Settings Center keystrokes corrected.  When you press the, Insert + 6, keystroke you're going to the Settings Center, not Quick Settings.  When you you're in an application and press, Insert + V, this is the keystroke for Quick Settings.

Since I don't speak any language other than english this is only a guess on my part.  Do you and others have the, Detect Languages, enabled / selected?

Try the following if you don't:

1. Open the Settings Center in either of these 2 ways.
A. Press, Insert / Jaws Key + 6, on the number row above the main keyboard.
B. Press, Insert / Jaws Key + F2, to open the, Jaws Manager, arrow down to, Settings Center, & press enter.
With the Settings Center open press, control, shift , + D, to open the
Settings Center Default All Applications.
2. Down arrow to, Text Processing and if it's closed use the right arrow key to open.

3. Now down arrow to, General, and if closed right arrow to open.

4. Down arrow several time to, Detect Languages, and if this checkbox is unchecked press the spacebar to check it.  You can tab 1 time to get a description of this feature, but the description is below.
This check box allows you to enable or disable automatic language detection. If you select this check box, JAWS detects changes in languages within documents which support language tags and then reads using the appropriate synthesizer voice for that language.
For example, if JAWS finds Spanish text on a Web page, that text is spoken using a Spanish voice. This detection only affects those synthesizers,
such as Eloquence or Vocalizer Expressive, that support multiple languages.
If you clear this check box, JAWS does not change the voice of the synthesizer when reading text written in another language.
By default, this option is checked in all applications except Microsoft Outlook..

5. Now tab to, Apply, press the spacebar, and tab to, Okay, and press the spacebar or enter to save and close.

Now for, Quick Settings steps:

1. While in any application press, Insert + V, to open Quick Settings.

2. Navigate to or search for, Detect, and your only result will be, Detect language change.

3. If this is unchecked press the spacebar to check it and tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.

Also in a specific application you want to check the Settings Center, by pressing, Insert + 6, for the, Settings Center only, and not open the Settings Center default all applications.

[...]

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2021 12:20 AM
Subject: Quick Settings are displayed in another language

[...]

Hello Mike,

thank you very much for your answer and the detailed description of changing this setting.

I've asked the members of the German mailing list if this problem occurs only in Quick Setting or in Settings Center as well. Most of the members having this problem speaking of Quick Settings but a few describing Settings Manager also. The problem has nothing to do with language detection because the JAWS dialogs aren't dealing with speech tags and the voice of the synthesizer is always German although the settings are in English. The synthesizers used here are able to change language as well so it makes no sense seeing entries in English and speaking this entries in German.

On of the lokal dealers here responded to my mail in the German mailing list and reported he had contacted FS about this problem months ago. They suspect the problem has to do with loading the wrong resource because of some time matters. He wanted to contact FS again to solve this problem.

Many thanks for trying to help. It's a very good thing to know here are a lot of people helping each other. Thank a lot for all you helpers out there.

Best wishes
Udo

Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2021 12:20 AM

[...]

Afik Souffir <afik.souffir@...>

Hi,
Try to contact them directly at this email address
Info@...

[...]

Hi Afik,

thank you very much for sharing the mail address.

All the best
Udo