moderated questions about setting up an Outlook account manually

Madison Martin

Hi all,
An aquaintance has been helping me with my Outlook.com account issues and he suggested that I remove my Outlook.com account and then re-install it manually so that I can make it an IMAP account. Now he gave me steps and so I've been working on this today and I have a couple of questions mostly because I've never done this before. I'm hearing the ding sound indicating that I'm receiving new emails and even though the account shows up in the list of accounts within Outlook when I go and check there aren't any new messages (or any old messages either) in my inbox, any idea why this could be happening and what I can do to fix it? Also, any idea how long this account set-up is supposed to take? It's been over an hour now and every time I go and check the mail set-up dialog it just keeps saying that log-on to the IMAP server is in progress, so I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong or if I did something wrong or what... Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10, really hope someone can help me!! Thanks
Madison 

Dan Longmore

Hi,

Something went wrong.  Once you set up an account you should , shortly, see a screen that lists all of the steps Outlook is doing to verify and check the account.  If there is a failure you will see an error message at the poin that did not work. 

May want to delete and try again or edit setting for this account.

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison Martin
Sent: Tuesday, January 4, 2022 4:00 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: questions about setting up an Outlook account manually

Hi all,
An aquaintance has been helping me with my Outlook.com account issues and he suggested that I remove my Outlook.com account and then re-install it manually so that I can make it an IMAP account. Now he gave me steps and so I've been working on this today and I have a couple of questions mostly because I've never done this before. I'm hearing the ding sound indicating that I'm receiving new emails and even though the account shows up in the list of accounts within Outlook when I go and check there aren't any new messages (or any old messages either) in my inbox, any idea why this could be happening and what I can do to fix it? Also, any idea how long this account set-up is supposed to take? It's been over an hour now and every time I go and check the mail set-up dialog it just keeps saying that log-on to the IMAP server is in progress, so I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong or if I did something wrong or what... Using latest versions of Jaws and Windows 10, really hope someone can help me!! Thanks
Madison 

Madison Martin

Okay, so I ended up deleting the account from the list of accounts in Outlook and starting over but now I have a new issue. When it gets too the spot that talks about testing account settings it keeps wanting my password even though I already entered it when setting up my account and I made sure that the boxes for remembering and saving my password were checked, but when I enter on ok it keeps circling back wanting my password. I even went into the task manager and told it to end the task but nothing happened. Any ideas what could be wrong and what I can do so that I can do whatever I need to do next in this process? The account shows up in my list of accounts in Outlook which I assume is a good sign...

Curtis Chong

Hello:

This is usually caused by IMAP or POP3 being disabled. I assume in your case that IMAP is disabled in your outlooik.com settings.

In Gmail, there is another setting called “enable less secure apps” which needs to be on if one is to use Gmail with the Outlook software client.

Curtis

Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2022 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: questions about setting up an Outlook account manually

Okay, so I ended up deleting the account from the list of accounts in Outlook and starting over but now I have a new issue. When it gets too the spot that talks about testing account settings it keeps wanting my password even though I already entered it when setting up my account and I made sure that the boxes for remembering and saving my password were checked, but when I enter on ok it keeps circling back wanting my password. I even went into the task manager and told it to end the task but nothing happened. Any ideas what could be wrong and what I can do so that I can do whatever I need to do next in this process? The account shows up in my list of accounts in Outlook which I assume is a good sign...

Madison Martin

Okay, but my other two accounts are IMAP, so isn't IMAP already inabled? I know they aren't Outlook.com accounts, but that shouldn't matter should it...

Curtis Chong

Indeed it does. You have to log into your Outlook.com account using a browser, find the appropriate setting in that account, and turn it on. This is not something on your computer. It is, rather, a setting on the servers themselves.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2022 9:37 AM

Okay, but my other two accounts are IMAP, so isn't IMAP already inabled? I know they aren't Outlook.com accounts, but that shouldn't matter should it...

Madison Martin

Okay, any idea where under settings I'd go to find this setting?

Curtis Chong

Sorry. I do not have an Outlook.com account so I am not able to be of significant help here.

You might google this. If I find anything, I will let you know.

Warmly,

Curtis

Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2022 9:52 AM

Curtis Chong

Madison:

At this point, you need to contact Microsoft Office Support, probably through the Disability Answer Desk. This is getting quite deep, and too many people in other chat groups are coming up with so many possible solutions that it gets ridiculous<smile>.

I apologize.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2022 9:52 AM

Curtis Chong

Madison:

Here is how I would describe your problem.

“I have an outlook.cm email account, and I already know the password. I am trying to connect my Outlook program to this account and I keep being prompted to enter what I believe to be a valid password.”

Hope this helps.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

Madison Martin

It was connected but it was an Exchange account and so I'm trying to change it to an IMAP account to see if I'm able to send messages from it again.

Madison Martin

Okay, if someone knows or finds out then please let me know. I was asking because I've never used/looked at the settings on the Outlook.com site and so therefor I'd like to have an idea of where to look before logging in.

Curtis Chong

Understood. Still, my recommendation stands.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2022 10:14 AM

It was connected but it was an Exchange account and so I'm trying to change it to an IMAP account to see if I'm able to send messages from it again.

Dan Longmore

Hi, I have encountered this situation before and it usually comes down to a security setting for the outgoing mail or something being incompatible with the web mail server. From my experience it is fixable but takes a little bit of looking and searching and sometime comparing settings with other accounts.

On Jan 5, 2022, at 12:18 PM, Curtis Chong <chong.curtis@...> wrote:

Understood. Still, my recommendation stands.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2022 10:14 AM

Steve Nutt

Hi,

You don’t need to turn on less secure apps with the latest version of Outlook, because it uses Google Sign In.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

Sent: 05 January 2022 16:37

Madison Martin

Okay Steve, I use the latest version of Office 365, is this the case with Office 365 as well, or is this only the case with Outlook 2021?

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Yes, it will work on Office 365 as well.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Sent: 06 January 2022 15:50

Okay Steve, I use the latest version of Office 365, is this the case with Office 365 as well, or is this only the case with Outlook 2021?

Madison Martin

Okay, so if I'm able to get it setup then I won't have to do anything within Outlook in order for it to work in Outlook? Also after re-setting my password I just tried again and I was able to get to the screen where it tries to send a test message but I got a message saying that an unknown error occured and the error code was 0xc8101  Any idea what could be wrong and what I might be able to do to fix it?

Madison Martin

Hi all,
I forgot to ask, my Outlook.com account got locked again on Saturday and I haven't unlocked it because I couldn't send messages from it anyway so I figured there wasn't much point. Anyway, I re-set my password today, would doing this unlock my account? I know I got a message on Saturday telling me to sign into my Outlook.com account, but since I can't access my account using Outlook right now and I find the webmail version hard to use if re-setting my password didn't unlock my account does anyone know of another quick and easy way to unlock my account? I ask as I got to wondering if my account being locked is the reason for the error message that I asked about earlier. Hope someone can help me!!

Steve Nutt

No idea about the error message, but google it, you sometimes get interesting results.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Sent: 06 January 2022 18:07

Okay, so if I'm able to get it setup then I won't have to do anything within Outlook in order for it to work in Outlook? Also after re-setting my password I just tried again and I was able to get to the screen where it tries to send a test message but I got a message saying that an unknown error occured and the error code was 0xc8101  Any idea what could be wrong and what I might be able to do to fix it?