Topics

moderated Question regarding the Reset This PC Function

Dave Durber

Hello Everyone:

Has anyone use theReset This PC function to install a clean installation of Windows 10? If so, were you able to use Narrator throughout the process of installing Windows 10?

Dave

Timothy Appleby

Yes, I have and, it is totally accessible with narrator. The best of luck in installing a clean installation of windows. Let me know off list if you have been successful or not.

Sent from Tim’s iPhone 8

On Jul 1, 2020, at 5:39 PM, Dave Durber <d.durber@...> wrote:

Hello Everyone:

Has anyone use theReset This PC function to install a clean installation of Windows 10? If so, were you able to use Narrator throughout the process of installing Windows 10?

Dave

Dave Durber

Tim:

Did you install Windows 10 locally, that is, the OEM version which came with a name brand computer or, did you install Windows from the Microsoft server?

Dave

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 04:51 PM, Dave Durber wrote:
Did you install Windows 10 locally, that is, the OEM version which came with a name brand computer or, did you install Windows from the Microsoft server?
-
That has nothing to do with the behavior of the Reset function (Settings, Update & Security, Recovery Pane, Reset this PC section, Get Started button).  It's a part of Windows 10, whether that's what came with the computer or not.

Depending on which version of Windows 10 you're running there can be certain differences below the level that the user deals with, but that's not relevant to it being accessible with Narrator once Reset is far enough along (which isn't far) to allow Narrator to be invoked.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Timothy Appleby

I installed the clean version using the file those included pre-installed on my system before hand.

Sent from Tim’s iPhone 8

On Jul 1, 2020, at 5:51 PM, Dave Durber <d.durber@...> wrote:

Tim:

Did you install Windows 10 locally, that is, the OEM version which came with a name brand computer or, did you install Windows from the Microsoft server?

Dave

Yes, I have and, it is totally accessible with narrator. The best of luck in installing a clean installation of windows. Let me know off list if you have been successful or not.

Sent from Tim’s iPhone 8

On Jul 1, 2020, at 5:39 PM, Dave Durber <d.durber@...> wrote:

Hello Everyone:

Has anyone use theReset This PC function to install a clean installation of Windows 10? If so, were you able to use Narrator throughout the process of installing Windows 10?

Dave

Chris Hill

Yes, there was one place it didn't talk, but when I took a picture with Voice Dream Scanner, it was just a screen saying don't turn off your computer.

On 7/1/2020 15:39, Dave Durber wrote:
Hello Everyone:

Has anyone use theReset This PC function to install a clean installation of Windows 10? If so, were you able to use Narrator throughout the process of installing Windows 10?

Dave

Dave Durber

Brian:

According to Microsoft's Disability Help Line, when you use the "Reset this PC" function, you are supposed to get a choice as to whether you want to reset the PC from the Microsoft server or, from the local machine. I would have to use the remote option because this computer came with Windows 7 as the pre-Installed operating system.

when I used the Reset This PC function, I did not get any choices at all

The problem is, the computer I am trying to reset does not boot either from the CD/DVD or USB, so, I need someone with sight to go into the BIOS and change the boot sequence, then, I can use boot media to run a Talking windows Pre-windows Environment to clear the current partition and then install a new installation of Windows 10.

Dave

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 04:51 PM, Dave Durber wrote:
Did you install Windows 10 locally, that is, the OEM version which came with a name brand computer or, did you install Windows from the Microsoft server?
-
That has nothing to do with the behavior of the Reset function (Settings, Update & Security, Recovery Pane, Reset this PC section, Get Started button).  It's a part of Windows 10, whether that's what came with the computer or not.

Depending on which version of Windows 10 you're running there can be certain differences below the level that the user deals with, but that's not relevant to it being accessible with Narrator once Reset is far enough along (which isn't far) to allow Narrator to be invoked.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Hi,

In order to use online method, you must install May 2020 Update (Version 2004). Apart from downloading the installer image for the Windows 10 version you have, it is identical to local install option. This means this option won’t solve the intended use case – you cannot really repartition the drive or do a complete clean install via external media; to do that, you still need to boot to the installation media.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 01:12 PM, Dave Durber wrote:
According to Microsoft's Disability Help Line, when you use the "Reset this PC" function, you are supposed to get a choice as to whether you want to reset the PC from the Microsoft server or, from the local machine.
-
As has already been noted by Joseph Lee, this set of Reset options was introduced with Windows 10 Version 2004.  If you do not have Windows 10 Version 2004 already, they are not going to be presented.

And I have no idea why you'd even bother booting into talking Windows PE if you have a sighted assistant to do a one-time boot order reset to cause the machine to boot from Windows 10 install media.  Once the Windows 10 installer fires up you can turn on Narrator and go the rest of the way straight from the install media.  I've supplied these instructions many times, Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive

, and the Windows 10 installer will either install over the current disk setup or you can escape to command prompt and nuke the drive yourself, because Narrator should be up by then if you invoke it.  If the reinstall is for yourself, the whole set of steps escaping to Command Prompt are very often unnecessary.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss