moderated Question regarding the latest update to Quick Assist

Dave Durber

Hello everyone:

Has anyone on the list needed to use Quick Assist recently? I have! I got a prompt telling me there was a new release of Quick Assist, and I would need to get it from the Microsoft Store. My question is:

Has anyone who has limited or no vision on the list, successfully try and find and download the update to Quick Assist from the Microsoft Store. Personally, I had no success in downloading and applying the new update for this program.

I pose the following suggestion:

I would like anyone who has no vision or, very limited vision, try and successfully download the update for Quick Assist from the Microsoft Store. If anyone who is not vision impaired, please do not come in on this topic for at least 2 days, to see if muy challenge can be met. If anyone who is visually impaired, managed to do what I failed to do myself, will they plese enlighten me as to how they did it, with step-by-step instructions, so I can complete the update to Quick Assist. Whuy Microsoft did not include the latest update to Quick Assist as part of the Windows update process, will always be a mystery, except to Microsoft, of course.

Thanks in anticipation:

Dave Durber

Andrew Summers

Hi Dave,

What to do is, open the app and then go to the store.

Now use the touch cursor.

HTH.

Andrew

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: 29 May 2022 21:06
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Question regarding the latest update to Quick Assist

Hello everyone:

Has anyone on the list needed to use Quick Assist recently? I have! I got a prompt telling me there was a new release of Quick Assist, and I would need to get it from the Microsoft Store. My question is:

Has anyone who has limited or no vision on the list, successfully try and find and download the update to Quick Assist from the Microsoft Store. Personally, I had no success in downloading and applying the new update for this program.

I would like anyone who has no vision or, very limited vision, try and successfully download the update for Quick Assist from the Microsoft Store. If anyone who is not vision impaired, please do not come in on this topic for at least 2 days, to see if muy challenge can be met. If anyone who is visually impaired, managed to do what I failed to do myself, will they plese enlighten me as to how they did it, with step-by-step instructions, so I can complete the update to Quick Assist. Whuy Microsoft did not include the latest update to Quick Assist as part of the Windows update process, will always be a mystery, except to Microsoft, of course.

Thanks in anticipation:

Dave Durber

Loy

I was able to find it and according to promps it was installed, but now when I start it, I have to virualise the window to read the option.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew Summers via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2022 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: Question regarding the latest update to Quick Assist

Hi Dave,

HTH.

Andrew

Hello everyone:

Thanks in anticipation:

Dave Durber

Dave Durber

Andrew:

I did  that, with no success.

On another occasion, I found an "Open" button. When I clicked on it, a few seconds later, a message came up telling me that the update had been updated successfully. However, when I tried Quick Assist, I was presented with a blank screen.

The upshot is, I cannot get access to the Program, in the way I was able to do so, using the previous version of Quick Assist.

Dave

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2022 5:13 PM

Hi Dave,

HTH.

Andrew

Hello everyone:

Thanks in anticipation:

Dave Durber

Dave Durber

Loy:

With the previous version of Quick Assist, there was complete access to the program for a screen-reader. I am going to contact Microsoft's Disability Help Desk, to see if they have a solution.

Dave

Sent: Monday, May 30, 2022 6:01 PM

I was able to find it and according to promps it was installed, but now when I start it, I have to virualise the window to read the option.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andrew Summers via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2022 12:14 PM

Hi Dave,

HTH.

Andrew

Hello everyone:

Thanks in anticipation:

Dave Durber

Andrew Summers

Dave, I get the same, when I run the app.

Andrew

Sent: 30 May 2022 19:42

Andrew:

On another occasion, I found an "Open" button. When I clicked on it, a few seconds later, a message came up telling me that the update had been updated successfully. However, when I tried Quick Assist, I was presented with a blank screen.

The upshot is, I cannot get access to the Program, in the way I was able to do so, using the previous version of Quick Assist.

Dave

Hi Dave,

HTH.

Andrew

Hello everyone:

Thanks in anticipation:

Dave Durber

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 12:14 PM, Andrew Summers wrote:
-
How, exactly?

I've been playing with this with NVDA since I don't have JAWS, and what's interesting to me is I can't seem to get into the Quick Assist dialog/pane unless I click into it, then everything begins reading exactly as I'd expect it would and I can navigate around as I'd expect.

But I can't come up with a way, via the keyboard, to issue an object navigation command that gets me "inside" what is already selected by default when focus is on the Quick Assist initial dialog.

I'll be curious to hear what Microsoft Accessibility has to say about this situation.  I'd not played with Quick Assist with a screen reader under the original version and given how little has changed about the look and feel of the "new" Quick Assist, this degradation in accessibility is surprising.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
     ~ Lauren Bacall

From NVDA user Kostadin Kolev, and the analogous technique could be used to get focus into the new Quick Assist window/pane with JAWS commands:
Here is how I solved the problem. While the focus was on the whole QuickAssist window, I've used NVDA's command to move the mouse cursor to the currently focused object (which in this case should be the whole QuickAssist window) and them simulated a single left mouse click. That moved the focus inside the QuickAssist window/document. This has to be done each time the QuickAssist program is launched, but it is still better than nothing.

I can get around in the dialog with a screen reader once I get into the dialog!
--

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
     ~ Lauren Bacall

Dave Durber

Andrew:

This morning, I called the MS Disability Assistance/Help line at 4:30 AM, UK time, this was because I had a louzy night's sleep. The representative downloaded the new version of Quick Assist on another machine, with the same result.

I performed a restore the computer to a previous date and time function. When the computer restarted following the restoration, to my dismay, the previous version of Quick Assist was not restored. Therefore, it seems, the new version of Quick Assist, once installed, is one of those updates, which cannot be undone.

Luckily, I created a complete image of the system drive last Thursday, using Image for Windows. Once I restored the image, I now have the original version of Quick Assist available to me.

One more thing, the person said that there was a problem with the new version, and the Quick Assist team were working to fix the problem.

My suggestion is therefore, people should not upgrade to the new version of Quick Assist, until Microsoft release a version which is fully accessible. If you have a need to use Quick Assist, when the open screen is displayed telling you about the new version, TAB to the "Not Yet" button and press the SPACE BAR, to activate it. The update reminder screen will disappear, and the original, accessible screen for the previous version will be displayed.

Dave

Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 12:03 PM

Dave, I get the same, when I run the app.

Andrew

Sent: 30 May 2022 19:42

Andrew:

Dave

Hi Dave,

HTH.

Andrew

Hello everyone:

Thanks in anticipation:

Dave Durber

Dave Durber

Brian:

See my response to Andrew, which I posted not long ago.

Dave

Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 3:53 PM

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 12:14 PM, Andrew Summers wrote:
-
How, exactly?

I've been playing with this with NVDA since I don't have JAWS, and what's interesting to me is I can't seem to get into the Quick Assist dialog/pane unless I click into it, then everything begins reading exactly as I'd expect it would and I can navigate around as I'd expect.

But I can't come up with a way, via the keyboard, to issue an object navigation command that gets me "inside" what is already selected by default when focus is on the Quick Assist initial dialog.

I'll be curious to hear what Microsoft Accessibility has to say about this situation.  I'd not played with Quick Assist with a screen reader under the original version and given how little has changed about the look and feel of the "new" Quick Assist, this degradation in accessibility is surprising.
--

~ Lauren Bacall

Loy

Using JAWS you can virtualize the window and then JAWS will read all the options. Can’t say if it will work because I haven’t had the need to use it yet.

Bill White

Hi, Milton. With the window virtualized, you can't take action on any of the icons.        

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Loy
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 3:56 PM

Using JAWS you can virtualize the window and then JAWS will read all the options. Can’t say if it will work because I haven’t had the need to use it yet.

Dave Durber

Hello Everyone:

An update on my initial posting!

All my systems are presently running the older version of Quick Assist.

Up to yesterday evening, when I opened Quick Assist on each of my computers, included in the update screen, there was a "Not Yet" button.

I have run Quick Assist on all the systems this morning, the "Not Yet" button, has disappeared.

It looks like Microsoft, are forcing users to update Quick Assist, regardless as to whether they wish to do so or not, even though Microsoft, kno the updated version of Quisk Assist is floored.

This now means, users cannot use the previous version of Quick Assist, if they need someone have access to there computer

Regardless as to whether screen readers users use the previous version of Quick Assist or the new version, as individuals who are visually impaired, in my opinion, we are  being right royally screwed by the arrogance of Microsoft.

Dave

Bill White

Hi, Dave. I just spoke with the Microsoft Disability Desk at 10:00 AM, Pacific Daylight Time. They told me that currently, the Quick Assist app is crashing for everyone. They told me that an update should be released by tomorrow that should fix both the crashing problem, and also the inaccessibility issue. I published a review on the Microsoft Store which delineates the issue, and states that Microsoft did not verrify that this app is accessible for screen readers before releasing it.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2022 1:24 AM

Hello Everyone:

Up to yesterday evening, when I opened Quick Assist on each of my computers, included in the update screen, there was a "Not Yet" button.

I have run Quick Assist on all the systems this morning, the "Not Yet" button, has disappeared.

It looks like Microsoft, are forcing users to update Quick Assist, regardless as to whether they wish to do so or not, even though Microsoft, kno the updated version of Quisk Assist is floored.

This now means, users cannot use the previous version of Quick Assist, if they need someone have access to there computer

Regardless as to whether screen readers users use the previous version of Quick Assist or the new version, as individuals who are visually impaired, in my opinion, we are  being right royally screwed by the arrogance of Microsoft.

Dave

Dave Durber

Hello Bill:

Thank you for the clarrification. I need to contact the Disability Advice team later, to help me set up remote, Desktop between my main PC at home and my laptop, for when I need to travel.

I have just tried to use Quick Assist, with the same result I reported to the list this mormning.

I have just got home from a very nice meal with a friend at a local pub. I need to have a couple cups of coffee, before I call Microsoft at about 11:00 PM, UK time, before I go to bed. I will let you know how I get on later.

Dave

Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2022 6:07 PM

Hi, Dave. I just spoke with the Microsoft Disability Desk at 10:00 AM, Pacific Daylight Time. They told me that currently, the Quick Assist app is crashing for everyone. They told me that an update should be released by tomorrow that should fix both the crashing problem, and also the inaccessibility issue. I published a review on the Microsoft Store which delineates the issue, and states that Microsoft did not verrify that this app is accessible for screen readers before releasing it.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hello Everyone:

Dave

Bill White

Hi, Dave. Until they actually get the update into public circulation, all Microsoft will be able to do is walk you through the process of setting up the remote between your PC and your laptop. Right now, they don't have any way of taking control of either computer to do the process for you. I really hope this Windows Assist problem gets sorted quickly.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2022 1:33 PM

Hello Bill:

Thank you for the clarrification. I need to contact the Disability Advice team later, to help me set up remote, Desktop between my main PC at home and my laptop, for when I need to travel.

I have just tried to use Quick Assist, with the same result I reported to the list this mormning.

I have just got home from a very nice meal with a friend at a local pub. I need to have a couple cups of coffee, before I call Microsoft at about 11:00 PM, UK time, before I go to bed. I will let you know how I get on later.

Dave

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hello Everyone:

Dave

Dave Durber

Bill:

I called the Microsoft Disability Assistance line, and I got an amence stroke of luck, an got the same person who helped me on Monday. I asked him, if he would be so kind, as to write down the steps to set up Remote Desktop for both the computer in my house and my laptop.

While composing this email, I checked to see if I got any new emails. One of the new messages, was from the Microsoft representative, listing the step-by-step instructions, for setting up Remote Desktop on a remote device, whether it be a laptop, smart phone  or, tablet.

Now I am going to see if I can get it all to work.

Dave

Sent: Wednesday, June 1, 2022 10:18 PM

Hi, Dave. Until they actually get the update into public circulation, all Microsoft will be able to do is walk you through the process of setting up the remote between your PC and your laptop. Right now, they don't have any way of taking control of either computer to do the process for you. I really hope this Windows Assist problem gets sorted quickly.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hello Bill:

Dave

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hello Everyone:

Dave

Cook, Steve

Would you be willing to share the directions?

Steve Cook, CPM

SC Commission for the Blind

Assistive Technology Consultant

Newsline Administrator

1430 Confederate Avenue

Columbia, SC 29201

Office: (803) 898-8788

Cell: (803) 908-3856

E-Mail: steve.cook@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2022 1:50 AM
Subject: [External] Re: Question regarding the latest update to Quick Assist

Bill:

I called the Microsoft Disability Assistance line, and I got an amence stroke of luck, an got the same person who helped me on Monday. I asked him, if he would be so kind, as to write down the steps to set up Remote Desktop for both the computer in my house and my laptop.

While composing this email, I checked to see if I got any new emails. One of the new messages, was from the Microsoft representative, listing the step-by-step instructions, for setting up Remote Desktop on a remote device, whether it be a laptop, smart phone  or, tablet.

Dave

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hello Bill:

Dave

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hello Everyone:

Dave

Justin Williams

yes, please, that would be great.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 2:17 PM Cook, Steve via groups.io <Steve.Cook=sccb.sc.gov@groups.io> wrote:

Would you be willing to share the directions?

Steve Cook, CPM

SC Commission for the Blind

Assistive Technology Consultant

Newsline Administrator

1430 Confederate Avenue

Columbia, SC 29201

Office: (803) 898-8788

Cell: (803) 908-3856

E-Mail: steve.cook@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2022 1:50 AM
Subject: [External] Re: Question regarding the latest update to Quick Assist

Bill:

Dave

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hello Bill:

Dave

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hello Everyone:

Dave