moderated Question regarding the latest update to Quick Assist

Dave Durber

Hello everyone:

Has anyone on the list needed to use Quick Assist recently? I have! I got a prompt telling me there was a new release of Quick Assist, and I would need to get it from the Microsoft Store. My question is:

Has anyone who has limited or no vision on the list, successfully try and find and download the update to Quick Assist from the Microsoft Store. Personally, I had no success in downloading and applying the new update for this program.

I pose the following suggestion:

I would like anyone who has no vision or, very limited vision, try and successfully download the update for Quick Assist from the Microsoft Store. If anyone who is not vision impaired, please do not come in on this topic for at least 2 days, to see if muy challenge can be met. If anyone who is visually impaired, managed to do what I failed to do myself, will they plese enlighten me as to how they did it, with step-by-step instructions, so I can complete the update to Quick Assist. Whuy Microsoft did not include the latest update to Quick Assist as part of the Windows update process, will always be a mystery, except to Microsoft, of course.

Thanks in anticipation:

Dave Durber

Andrew Summers

Hi Dave,

What to do is, open the app and then go to the store.

                Now use the touch cursor.

HTH.

Andrew

[...]

Loy

                I was able to find it and according to promps it was installed, but now when I start it, I have to virualise the window to read the option.

[...]

I did  that, with no success.

On another occasion, I found an "Open" button. When I clicked on it, a few seconds later, a message came up telling me that the update had been updated successfully. However, when I tried Quick Assist, I was presented with a blank screen.

The upshot is, I cannot get access to the Program, in the way I was able to do so, using the previous version of Quick Assist.

[...]

With the previous version of Quick Assist, there was complete access to the program for a screen-reader. I am going to contact Microsoft's Disability Help Desk, to see if they have a solution.

Dave

[...]

Dave, I get the same, when I run the app.

Andrew

[...]

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 12:14 PM, Andrew Summers wrote:
               Now use the touch cursor.
-
How, exactly?

I've been playing with this with NVDA since I don't have JAWS, and what's interesting to me is I can't seem to get into the Quick Assist dialog/pane unless I click into it, then everything begins reading exactly as I'd expect it would and I can navigate around as I'd expect.

But I can't come up with a way, via the keyboard, to issue an object navigation command that gets me "inside" what is already selected by default when focus is on the Quick Assist initial dialog.

I'll be curious to hear what Microsoft Accessibility has to say about this situation.  I'd not played with Quick Assist with a screen reader under the original version and given how little has changed about the look and feel of the "new" Quick Assist, this degradation in accessibility is surprising.

     ~ Lauren Bacall

From NVDA user Kostadin Kolev, and the analogous technique could be used to get focus into the new Quick Assist window/pane with JAWS commands:
Here is how I solved the problem. While the focus was on the whole QuickAssist window, I've used NVDA's command to move the mouse cursor to the currently focused object (which in this case should be the whole QuickAssist window) and them simulated a single left mouse click. That moved the focus inside the QuickAssist window/document. This has to be done each time the QuickAssist program is launched, but it is still better than nothing.

I can get around in the dialog with a screen reader once I get into the dialog!

     ~ Lauren Bacall

Dave Durber

Andrew:

This morning, I called the MS Disability Assistance/Help line at 4:30 AM, UK time, this was because I had a louzy night's sleep. The representative downloaded the new version of Quick Assist on another machine, with the same result.

I performed a restore the computer to a previous date and time function. When the computer restarted following the restoration, to my dismay, the previous version of Quick Assist was not restored. Therefore, it seems, the new version of Quick Assist, once installed, is one of those updates, which cannot be undone.

Luckily, I created a complete image of the system drive last Thursday, using Image for Windows. Once I restored the image, I now have the original version of Quick Assist available to me.

One more thing, the person said that there was a problem with the new version, and the Quick Assist team were working to fix the problem.

My suggestion is therefore, people should not upgrade to the new version of Quick Assist, until Microsoft release a version which is fully accessible. If you have a need to use Quick Assist, when the open screen is displayed telling you about the new version, TAB to the "Not Yet" button and press the SPACE BAR, to activate it. The update reminder screen will disappear, and the original, accessible screen for the previous version will be displayed.

Dave

[...]

Brian:

See my response to Andrew, which I posted not long ago.

Dave

[...]

Using JAWS you can virtualize the window and then JAWS will read all the options. Can’t say if it will work because I haven’t had the need to use it yet.

Bill White

Hi, Milton. With the window virtualized, you can't take action on any of the icons.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...