From: Angel [mailto:angel238@...]
To: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2020, 4:59 AM
Subject: Question regarding searching:
I employ IE 11, I think, as my browser.  When I search for something on
the internet:  Jaws reads a continuous list of choices, as I am writing
my search term

  Which is most annoying.  I should like Jaws to remain silent.  As I
am typing the search term.  That I might not be distracted.  While
writing my search terms.  How can I cause Jaws not to speak.  While
attempting to write search terms?

Windows 10

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

If you're using IE you really do need to dump it, for starters.

Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer | Daniel Miessler        (Dec 2019)

The perils of using Internet Explorer as your default browser ...            (March 2019 – straight from the proverbial horse’s mouth)

Microsoft cybersecurity expert: Please, stop using Internet ...  (Feb 2019)

Microsoft security chief: IE is not a browser, so stop using ...     (Feb 2019)

Microsoft wants you to stop using Internet Explorer                    (Feb 2019)

12 reasons not to use Internet Explorer, ever | Computerworld  (June 2011 – Even more valid now)

And if you web search on “Why you should not use Internet Explorer” the list of returned results is long, and virtually unanimous in the expert (and non-expert) opinion that you should not.

Regardless of the browser you're using, if you want relative silence when trying to think through and compose your list of search criteria I'd suggest you do that step in Notepad, particularly for complex searches with many terms (often including the forced inclusion, +, and exclusion, -, operators).   After you've got it "perfected," or think you do, select all, copy, then paste into the search engine.  It also makes it easier to modify when you determine that what you thought was perfected is, in actuality, in need of more refinement.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Abraham Sweiss

I wonder if the issue is specific to the browser and search engine being used. The reason I stayed this is because I have never run into this issue, however I do not use ie 11.

Can a test be done using either Google chrome or Firefox and then going to www.google.com

And then see if the issue persists.

If you do not have fire fox or Google Chrome installed, just do a search for the downlights site and then install.

Thanks,abraham

On Mar 11,e 2020, at 4:59 AM, Angel <angel238@...> wrote:

I employ IE 11, I think, as my browser.  When I search for something on the internet:  Jaws reads a continuous list of choices, as I am writing my search term

  Which is most annoying.  I should like Jaws to remain silent.  As I am typing the search term.  That I might not be distracted.  While writing my search terms.  How can I cause Jaws not to speak.  While attempting to write search terms?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Glenn / Lenny

I think this is the answer to the original question:
In-line auto complete needs to be unchecked in advanced settings.
Do alt T and up arrow to options and enter, and control tab to the advanced page.
When there tab twice to the list of settings.
You will arrow to:
Use inline AutoComplete in the Internet Explorer Address
and uncheck it with the space bar if it says "on".
Here's the entire list of items:
Internet Options
AdvancedGeneral Security Privacy Content Connections Programs
Settings
Enable FTP folder view (outside of Internet Explorer)-ON
Enable Suggested Sites-OFF
Enable third-party browser extensions-ON*
Enable visual styles on buttons and controls in webpages-
Go to an intranet site for a single word entry in the Addre
Load sites and content in the background to optimize perf
Notify when downloads complete-OFF
Show friendly HTTP error messages-ON
Underline links
Always-ON
Hover-OFF
Never-OFF
Use inline AutoComplete in File Explorer and Run Dialog-O
Use inline AutoComplete in the Internet Explorer Address
*Takes effect after you restart your computer
Restore advanced settings
Reset Internet Explorer settings
Resets Internet Explorer's settings to their default  Reset...condition.
You should only use this if your browser is in an unusable state.
OK Cancel Apply

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 12:46 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Use inline AutoComplete in the Internet Explorer Address
And if the issue is autocomplete in the address box, then actually navigating to your preferred search engine's own webpage, and entering the information in the search box presented, is another thing to try.

For myself, I would never want autocomplete off in the address box, as it's so darned convenient.  I generally avoid using the address box as a search box, but not always.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Glenn / Lenny

It is convenient, I agree, but it is sometimes distracting to hear it while listening to what you type, and if you are thinking of the search terms as well.
Glenn

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 12:46 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Use inline AutoComplete in the Internet Explorer Address
And if the issue is autocomplete in the address box, then actually navigating to your preferred search engine's own webpage, and entering the information in the search box presented, is another thing to try.

For myself, I would never want autocomplete off in the address box, as it's so darned convenient.  I generally avoid using the address box as a search box, but not always.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

You'll get no argument from me with regard to the typing plus autocomplete crosstalk going on being distracting.   Hence the reason when I know that someone wants as close to silence (you probably do want words to be announced as you complete them) as you can get and a search is complex to formulate your search criteria either in a text editor or word processor, then copy and paste.

Everyone has their own preferences, which is fine, but when it comes to turning off autocomplete that has certain ramifications that may not have been considered.  Sometimes using workarounds turns out to be preferable, sometimes not.  Just laying out some options, as are you.

        ~ Joshua Liebman