Topics

moderated Question regarding installing a new installation of Windows 8/8.1

Dave Durber

For those on this list, who used Windows 8 or 8.1, I have the following questions:

Did you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 or 8.1. If you did, did the Windows  7 authorization  key, also authorize versions of Windows 8 or, did you need to purchase a new authorization key for versions of Windows 8;

If you had Windows 7 installed but, you decided to install a new installation of Windows 8 or 8.1, were you able to use the windows 7 key, to authorize versions of Windows 8.

Were you able to install Windows 8 or 8.1 yourself or, did you have visual assistance;

If you installed Windows 8 or 8.1 yourself, was Narrator available to you, to assist you through the installation process; and

If Narrator was not available, how didyou install Windows 8 or 8.1 yourself, without visual assistance.

I have suggested they upgrade to Windows 10 but, they are adament, they want Windows 8.

Dave

There is no upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and never has been.   It must be installed from scratch, and you must acquire a license key for it.

The only free upgrade path was from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 to Windows 10.

Personally, unless they're paying you, I'd refuse to install Windows 8.1 at this point.  It makes absolutely no sense to do so.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Chris Hill

The right answer here is forget about it.  Last time I messed with reinstalling 8, I could never get it to upgrade to 8.1, which left it an insecure mess.  Sometimes you just have to say no, and this is one of those.

On 8/11/2020 08:24, Dave Durber wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Actually, one can upgrade from Windows 7 to 8/8.1 through an in-place upgrade unless the product key is for a different edition. I concur with Brian: Windows 8.1 support ends in 2023, and beyond that point, Windows 10 is the way to go. This begs the question: did your friend tell you their reasons for not upgrading to Windows 10 for free?

Cheers,

Joseph

There is no upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and never has been.   It must be installed from scratch, and you must acquire a license key for it.

The only free upgrade path was from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 to Windows 10.

Personally, unless they're paying you, I'd refuse to install Windows 8.1 at this point.  It makes absolutely no sense to do so.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Glenn / Lenny

No matter how you go about it, you can install windows 8 using WinPE, which uses NVDA, not Narrator.
You need to match the installer to the types of windows.
There are about half a dozen types of windows 7, and the mega.ISO of WinPE has the .WIM files for the various types of windows.
Glenn
Glenn

[...]

I suppose one could buy 8.1 on eBay and just use the new key.
That might cost around 25 dollars.

Glenn

[...]

Well I would not want 10, and they may not either.
Glenn

Actually, one can upgrade from Windows 7 to 8/8.1 through an in-place upgrade unless the product key is for a different edition. I concur with Brian: Windows 8.1 support ends in 2023, and beyond that point, Windows 10 is the way to go. This begs the question: did your friend tell you their reasons for not upgrading to Windows 10 for free?

Cheers,

Joseph

There is no upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and never has been.   It must be installed from scratch, and you must acquire a license key for it.

The only free upgrade path was from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 to Windows 10.

Personally, unless they're paying you, I'd refuse to install Windows 8.1 at this point.  It makes absolutely no sense to do so.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Dave Durber

Glen:

I have that. All the versions of windows which are included with that TWPE, are for Windows 7.

Dave

[...]

No they did not. I will call them later and ask them.

Dave

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 11:29 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
This begs the question: did your friend tell you their reasons for not upgrading to Windows 10 for free?
-
That would be interesting to know.

But regardless of the reason, I have gotten pretty adamant with my clients about Windows 10 or nothing if the question of upgrading arises.  It is completely unsafe to use any unsupported OS in contact with the internet.  Windows 8.1, unless someone already uses it, has been much more difficult for most Windows users to adjust to because it made a tectonic shift in presumptions about how things would be accessed, skewing almost entirely toward touch, that simply never materialized.  It's also got its clock ticking.

I won't even consider installing Windows 7 under any circumstances or any other version of Windows prior to 8.1, as they're all out of support.

And the sooner people, all of 'em, get over the idea that, "I don't like it," being a legitimate reason to reject an operating system the better.  It is now, and always has been, for sane users, a choice among what is currently under support for the hardware they have.  Choosing otherwise is willful stupidity (and, as someone who does this for a living, also would potentially expose me to liability I refuse to be exposed to).

There are things about Windows 10 I don't like, there were many things about Windows 8/8.1 I despised, there were things about Windows 7 I didn't like - see the pattern?  But what you actually use is what Microsoft supports, not what you personally prefer.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Dave Durber

I will tell them that.

Dave

[...]

You will need to use upgrade installation media, it may not work with a full install of 8.1.
Another option is to use Windows 10 winPE to install the 8.1.You will need to be sure to match the version in terms of 64 bit and 32 bit.
Glenn

[...]

Yes, I am being paid.

Dave