moderated Question regarding either of these options.

Albert Cutolo

Good afternoon everyone, 

Does windows ten, have a utility built into it that will automatically do both a disk defrag, and a disk cleanup on a weekly schedule, or do you have too do it yourself?  If not, which one do you have too do first.  In other words, should I do a disk  defrag first, and then do a disk cleanup second 

Thanks in advance, 

Al   ? Which one comes first.    

Bill White

Hi, Albert. As far as I know, these maintenance procedures must be done manually, unless you schedule them through the task scheduler. If it were me, I would do the disk cleanup, which would delete any unneeded files before defragging. This would result in a tighter defrag. I have also heard that it is unnecessary, and sometimes detrimental to perform a defrag on a SSD drive.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Albert Cutolo
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 10:39 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Question regarding either of these options.

Good afternoon everyone, 

Does windows ten, have a utility built into it that will automatically do both a disk defrag, and a disk cleanup on a weekly schedule, or do you have too do it yourself?  If not, which one do you have too do first.  In other words, should I do a disk  defrag first, and then do a disk cleanup second 

Thanks in advance, 

Glenn / Lenny

Albert,
You will always want to do a disk cleanup first, then do a defrag.
The disk cleanup will make space that the defrag will write data onto to make a tighter usage of the disk.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:38 PM

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

Richard Turner

The tech who put in an SSD drive on my wife’s computer said, absolutely, never run either on an SSD drive.  It can damage them.

He knows his business really well, so I am taking his word on that.

Richard

Ralph's Observation:  It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object<>to realize that you are in a hurry.

My web site, www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: Question regarding either of these options.

Hi, Albert. As far as I know, these maintenance procedures must be done manually, unless you schedule them through the task scheduler. If it were me, I would do the disk cleanup, which would delete any unneeded files before defragging. This would result in a tighter defrag. I have also heard that it is unnecessary, and sometimes detrimental to perform a defrag on a SSD drive.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

John Doering

Hello:

Is there a way to tell if you have a SSD drive?

Thanks in advance,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

Industries for the Blind & Visually Impaired accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 12:50 PM

The tech who put in an SSD drive on my wife’s computer said, absolutely, never run either on an SSD drive.  It can damage them.

Richard

Ralph's Observation:  It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object<>to realize that you are in a hurry.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

Bill White

Hi, John.

Method 1 of 4

Check via Task Manager

Step 1: Open the Task Manager either by using Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys, or right-clicking on the taskbar and then clicking Task Manager option.

Step 2: Switch to the full mode if it opens in small view.

Step 3: Under the Performance tab, click on the disk on the left side to know the actual name of the drive on the right side. The name usually indicates the type of the drive (SSD or HDD).

If your PC has more than one internal drive, you will have to click on all of them (on the left-side) one after another to know their properties.

Method 2 of 4

Check if your PC has SSD via Disk Management

Step 1: Right-click on the Start button on the taskbar and then click Disk Management option to open its window.

Step 2: On the left side (as shown in the picture below) of the window, you can see all internal and external drives currently connected to your PC. To know if a drive is HDD or SSD, right-click on it and then click Properties.

Step 3: The General tab displays the actual name of the drive which usually indicates what kind of drive (SSD or HDD) it is.

Method 3 of 4

Check if your PC has SSD using File Explorer

Step 1: Open the File Explorer and navigate to This PC.

Step 2: Right-click on a partition drive and then click Properties to open its properties dialog. Note that if you have more than one physical drive, you need to make sure that you are right-clicking on a drive that belongs to the physical drive that you want to know whether it’s SSD or HDD.

Step 3: Under the Hardware tab, you can see if your PC has SSD or HDD.

If your PC has more than one drive, the Hardware tab lists all drives and highlights only the physical drive where your currently selected partition drive

is located.

Method 4 of 4

Check your PC has SSD via Device Manager

Step 1: Open the Device Manager by right-clicking on the Start button on the taskbar and then clicking on the Device Manager option.

Step 2: In the Device Manager window, expand Disk drives tree to see the name of the drive which also includes the type of the drive (SSD or HDD).

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Doering
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 10:58 AM

Hello:

Thanks in advance,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

Industries for the Blind & Visually Impaired accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Richard

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

Gerald Levy

There are a couple of ways you can determine what kind of local drive is inside your computer.  If it contains a hard drive, you should be able to feel or hear it spinning when you place your hand or ear on the enclosure.  If it contains an SSD, there will be no mechanical noise of any kind because there is no motor or cooling fan.  You could also check the properties of your local drive by focusing on it on the desktop and pressing alt-enter to bring up the properties page.  Sometimes, you can tell from the properties whether the drive is an HD or SSD.  But if you want to be absolutely certain what type of drive your computer has, download and install a free utility called Belarc Advisor that will create a profile of your computer and provide the model number and other information about its local drive, which should be helpful:

https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

Gerald

On 3/29/2021 1:58 PM, John Doering wrote:

Hello:

Thanks in advance,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Mobile:

Richard

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

JM Casey

Windows 10 does do some automatic defragging. How much, when, and so on, I’m not exactly sure. however I have had this computer since 2017 and never needed to run the utility manually on any of my hdds (they all show 100% not fragmented).

And yes, as has been said, don’t defrag an SSD. Not even sure that Windows 10 native defragger will *let* you do that, though some third party utilities might…just don’t do it.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: March 29, 2021 01:49 PM

Albert,

The disk cleanup will make space that the defrag will write data onto to make a tighter usage of the disk.

Glenn

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

Glenn / Lenny

As I stated, don't be scared of it, it's not a big deal if it happens a few times.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 7:12 PM

Windows 10 does do some automatic defragging. How much, when, and so on, I’m not exactly sure. however I have had this computer since 2017 and never needed to run the utility manually on any of my hdds (they all show 100% not fragmented).

And yes, as has been said, don’t defrag an SSD. Not even sure that Windows 10 native defragger will *let* you do that, though some third party utilities might…just don’t do it.

Albert,

Glenn

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

JM Casey

Sure, but why do it if there’s 0 benefit, and even if it’s slightly detrimental. It’s just a waste of time and resources, and if the oS itself doesn’t provide for it…that’s a pretty good indication.

Sent: March 29, 2021 08:17 PM

As I stated, don't be scared of it, it's not a big deal if it happens a few times.

Glenn

Albert,

Glenn

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

Glenn / Lenny

Well as I had mentioned before, if one often deletes large files, like ISOs and other disk images, then there can be something to be gained, even with an SSD.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 7:26 PM

Sure, but why do it if there’s 0 benefit, and even if it’s slightly detrimental. It’s just a waste of time and resources, and if the oS itself doesn’t provide for it…that’s a pretty good indication.

Glenn

Albert,

Glenn

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

Glenn / Lenny

If folks are really concerned about writing to their SSD too much, you might consider turning off hibernation, which writes to the SSD/HD whenever your computer hibernates.
Also, you might set your swap file to a fixed size, so the page file isn't constantly changing size.
And if windows still lets you, if you have a secondary drive in your computer, put your pagefile.sys file on the second internal HD drive, so windows isn't constantly writing on the SSD.
You can move your commonly used folders like downloads and documents to a secondary HDD.
There is also a windows feature that I have never used, called super fetch.
If you disable that, it should also help save your SSD from too much writing.
Glenn

Glenn

Albert,

Glenn

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

Mike B

Hi JM,

The default setting is to check the drive once a month, at least that's what it was on my Windows 10 Pro system using a solid state drive, but it can be changed to weekly or turned off.

To check / change the defrag settings open File Explorer and highlight your OS drive.

Open the drive's properties and, control + tab to the, Tools, page.

Tab to, optimize and defrag... button, and press the spacebar.  You'll find a list of drives and their status will be reported if you arrow from drive to drive

You tab to find more options like analyze, optimize, schedule on or off, frequency of optimizing / defragging.  In order to get to scheduling / frequency settings you have to spacebar the, change settings button.

I know I'm missing a thing or 2, but to see what is there go into the drive properties and take a look around on the Tools page / tab.

Stay safe and take care.  Mike.

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 5:26 PM

Glenn

Albert,

Glenn

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

Ashleigh Piccinino

That’s also what my computer guy said, to never ever defragment an SSD but to leave the computer on at all times.

On Mar 29, 2021, at 12:42 PM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

Glenn / Lenny

Yeah, I only reboot mine when it starts stumbling from being on too long, like after a couple months.
I think the same is true for mechanical drives, constant rebooting, with the spinning up and down is hard on them.
I've never had a mechanical HDD die on me, and I never turn them off.
On one of my laptops, I put in a SATA disk drive adapter, and it holds two CF cards.
So that laptop has 64 GB of SSD, using the two CF cards inside.
If I can find some 64 GB CF cards at a decent price, I may swap them out with the 32 GB CF cards.
I may see if I can get an adapter that takes USB drives, I have a couple 128 GB USB thumb drives.
The nice thing about a desktop system is that you can make your own hybrid system.
You can get a relatively small SSD for installing programs and you really wouldn't need more than 32 GB, and you can have a mechanical drive inside as well for your downloads and documents folders, and perhaps your swap file too.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 9:29 PM

That’s also what my computer guy said, to never ever defragment an SSD but to leave the computer on at all times.

On Mar 29, 2021, at 12:42 PM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi Glenn,

You’re right on target with what your saying. I put my OS on the SSD for faster boot ups  and CPU operations and everything on the HDD. It is almost impossible to recover files on a SSd. So I’d rather losing my OS than important files. Besides, a HDD usually shows signs that it is failing; therefore, you can replace it before that happens, hopefully?   

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 9:04 PM

If folks are really concerned about writing to their SSD too much, you might consider turning off hibernation, which writes to the SSD/HD whenever your computer hibernates.

Also, you might set your swap file to a fixed size, so the page file isn't constantly changing size.

And if windows still lets you, if you have a secondary drive in your computer, put your pagefile.sys file on the second internal HD drive, so windows isn't constantly writing on the SSD.

You can move your commonly used folders like downloads and documents to a secondary HDD.

Glenn

Glenn

Albert,

Glenn

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

Glenn / Lenny

Yeah, I'm investigating to see if my Intel NUC 5 PPYH can also take an M.2 SSD, maybe I can get a small one in terms of GB to benefit from faster boot ups and keep the SATA inside too.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 11:18 PM

Hi Glenn,

You’re right on target with what your saying. I put my OS on the SSD for faster boot ups  and CPU operations and everything on the HDD. It is almost impossible to recover files on a SSd. So I’d rather losing my OS than important files. Besides, a HDD usually shows signs that it is failing; therefore, you can replace it before that happens, hopefully?   

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2021 9:04 PM

Glenn

Glenn

Albert,

Glenn

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

Dave Durber

Hello there:

At least since Windows 7, Defrag is turned on by default. It is also set by default, to defragany Hard Disk Drive (HDD), once a week. If a Solid State Drive (SSD), is detected, a procedure, called "Retrimming", is occasionally performed. How often the retrimming process is performed on any SSD drives, is not clear. I have 2 SSD Drives in 4 Desktop systems. On what I call my main storage computer, the system drive, has not been  Retrimmed for 32 days, while Drive F, was retrimmed a week ago yesterday, on 22nd March.

HTH

Dave Durber

Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 1:12 AM

Albert,

Glenn

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

Madison Martin

How do I get to file explorer?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: March 29, 2021 8:40 PM

Hi JM,

The default setting is to check the drive once a month, at least that's what it was on my Windows 10 Pro system using a solid state drive, but it can be changed to weekly or turned off.

To check / change the defrag settings open File Explorer and highlight your OS drive.

Tab to, optimize and defrag... button, and press the spacebar.  You'll find a list of drives and their status will be reported if you arrow from drive to drive

You tab to find more options like analyze, optimize, schedule on or off, frequency of optimizing / defragging.  In order to get to scheduling / frequency settings you have to spacebar the, change settings button.

I know I'm missing a thing or 2, but to see what is there go into the drive properties and take a look around on the Tools page / tab.

Glenn

Albert,

Glenn

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance, 

Dave Durber

Maddison:

From anywhere within Windows, press WINDOWS KEY+E, and File Explorer will open.

Dave

Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 4:07 PM

How do I get to file explorer?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: March 29, 2021 8:40 PM

Hi JM,

Glenn

Albert,

Glenn

Good afternoon everyone, 

Thanks in advance,