Topics

moderated Question for those using One Drive at home

Van Lant, Robin

Hi All,

Microsoft keeps prompting me to think about using One Drive on my home laptop.  We just started using it at work.   Can someone explain to me if One Drive is like DropBox in that I can store my files on my hard drive and choose which files to move to One Drive.  Or, if I enable One Drive, will all my files be transitioned to One Drive and I’ll have to flag which ones I want to  keep offline copies of?  The latter is how we do it at work, but since I didn’t set it up on my work laptop, I’m not sure if I have a choice on my personal laptop as to how One Drive works.   Just a little flustered about changing how I do things and being able to find my files.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Richard Turner

I use oneDrive at home with my Microsoft 365 plan.

I believe you have a choice to store everything on your local drive, but even if it is in the cloud, you can opt to make it available off line.

In fact, if it is in the cloud and you open it locally, it gets made available off line automatically I think.

I’ve not notice any lag in opening files or anything.

I can access my files from my iPhone anywhere this way, which I like.

And after the latest DropBox update, I’m inclined to just use OneDrive.

I get 1 TB of storage with my Microsoft 365 and likely won’t ever come close to that amount.

My wife, who also is using the Microsoft 365 subscription also has her own 1 TB of space from the one subscription.

I think it works great and is easier than the current DropBox on my computer.

Richard

Microsoft keeps prompting me to think about using One Drive on my home laptop.  We just started using it at work.   Can someone explain to me if One Drive is like DropBox in that I can store my files on my hard drive and choose which files to move to One Drive.  Or, if I enable One Drive, will all my files be transitioned to One Drive and I’ll have to flag which ones I want to  keep offline copies of?  The latter is how we do it at work, but since I didn’t set it up on my work laptop, I’m not sure if I have a choice on my personal laptop as to how One Drive works.   Just a little flustered about changing how I do things and being able to find my files.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Dan Longmore

I really like one drive and find it easier than dropbox. I can access my files and make them available off-line if I wish. The one drive account is always available on the computer from which I said it up and I can access the one drive files from any device once I sign into OneDrive from that other device such as my phone.

On Jul 15, 2020, at 12:20 PM, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io <Robin_Van_Lant@...> wrote:

[...]

David Goldfield

Dan, another benefit of OneDrive is that you can have a terabyte of storage if you are a Microsoft 365 subscriber. For me this makes OneDrive a more attractive solution over Dropbox.

On 7/15/2020 1:35 PM, Dan Longmore wrote:
[...]

Jon Nixey <jon.ofhs5790@...>

Hi Robin,

I’ve been using One-Drive at home on my personal laptop for quite a while now, and I favour it to Dropbox.

I don’t have One-Drive backing anything up of its own accord, I copy and paste or cut and paste what I choose to keep on there, so I’m in full control.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

David Griffith

OneDrive does a good job of intelligently  working out what files you need in the cloud to save space. It is  ab it like DropBox SmartSync. But like DropBox you can specify through the context menu on a folder or file files that you want to always keep on this device.
I am now a fan of Smart Sync and OneDrive intelligent syncing. I only have 512 GB drive on my laptop Windows machine and similarly on my Mac Machine.
However whilst online I can pretty much instantly access nearly 3 and a half gigabytes of data with rarely any trouble, files just take slightly longer to load and it is really as if I have massive drives in my machines.
The only thing is that you need to ensure that you keep critical passwords for connecting to the internet etc stored on documents that are always available either in DropBox or OneDrive or you may face the Catch 22 problem if your internet fails of not being able to access an internet connection because you need an internet connection to re-enter the password.

David Griffith
David Griffith

  .

On 15 Jul 2020, at 17:20, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io <Robin_Van_Lant@...> wrote:

[...]

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key, send an email to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Van Lant, Robin

Thanks, Richard and all.  You all make some good points to consider.  I’ll play with One Drive.

Microsoft keeps prompting me to think about using One Drive on my home laptop.  We just started using it at work.   Can someone explain to me if One Drive is like DropBox in that I can store my files on my hard drive and choose which files to move to One Drive.  Or, if I enable One Drive, will all my files be transitioned to One Drive and I’ll have to flag which ones I want to  keep offline copies of?  The latter is how we do it at work, but since I didn’t set it up on my work laptop, I’m not sure if I have a choice on my personal laptop as to how One Drive works.   Just a little flustered about changing how I do things and being able to find my files.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

David Diamond

I too, prefer using one drive over drop box. I used drop box mainly to send files to people.  Then I found out I could do the same with one drive just by providing a link to my one drive and the item they needed.  Drop box was costing me $150 per year for 2 or 3 Tbs, far more then what I needed, one drive gives you 1 TB of storage and is included in office 365, which only cost $119. Per year.

Ann Byrne

Does OneDrive require subscription to Office 365?

At 06:54 PM 7/15/2020, you wrote:
I too, prefer using one drive over drop box. I used drop box mainly to send files to people. Then I found out I could do the same with one drive just by providing a link to my one drive and the item they needed. Drop box was costing me $150 per year for 2 or 3 Tbs, far more then what I needed, one drive gives you 1 TB of storage and is included in office 365, which only cost $119. Per year.

David Diamond

I believe so.  But, I could be wrong it would not be the first time and certainly won’t be the last.  I also use word as before using it my spelling and grammar were atrocious.

David Bailes

Hi Robin,
you'll find some information on using OneDrive in the OneDrive section of this guide:
http://vip.chowo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/jaws/File-Explorer-10-Guide.html

David.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 05:20 PM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:

[...]

You can get a small amount of space without a subscription. With a
subscription you get a terabyte of space and other family members can share
in your subscription each getting their own program copies and one terabyte
of space.

Dan

At 06:54 PM 7/15/2020, you wrote:
I too, prefer using one drive over drop box. I used drop box mainly to
send files to people. Then I found out I could do the same with one
drive just by providing a link to my one drive and the item they
needed. Drop box was costing me $150 per year for 2 or 3 Tbs, far more
then what I needed, one drive gives you 1 TB of storage and is included
in office 365, which only cost $119. Per year.

Richard Turner

I think for a one person subscription it is around $70 per year, for up to five it is around $100 per year.
That gives you access to all of the Microsoft Office programs that you can download rather than use the web versions.

Richard
"He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself," and we forget that only grace can break the cycle of ancient hatreds among peoples. (It is notable that while I have regretted not granting grace to others, I've never once regretted extending it.)" - Edward Herbert

At 06:54 PM 7/15/2020, you wrote:
I too, prefer using one drive over drop box. I used drop box mainly to
send files to people. Then I found out I could do the same with one
drive just by providing a link to my one drive and the item they
needed. Drop box was costing me $150 per year for 2 or 3 Tbs, far more
then what I needed, one drive gives you 1 TB of storage and is included
in office 365, which only cost $119. Per year.

Dan Longmore

Yes, you are correct with pricing.

At 06:54 PM 7/15/2020, you wrote:
I too, prefer using one drive over drop box. I used drop box mainly to
send files to people. Then I found out I could do the same with one
drive just by providing a link to my one drive and the item they
needed. Drop box was costing me $150 per year for 2 or 3 Tbs, far more
then what I needed, one drive gives you 1 TB of storage and is included
in office 365, which only cost $119. Per year.

David Diamond

I believe with an outlook or Hotmail account you get 5 Gs free of one drive space.  Not bad if you don’t need it.  Myself I ran out of the 5 Gs rather quickly as basically everything in my drop box is in my one drive now.

Marie

If you think about it, One year of DropBox with 1TB is around $120. You can get a one year subscription to Office 365 which you can share with family members. Each member can install on five systems and each one gets their own 1TB of One Drive space. In addition, as long as you are subscribed you get all updates to all the Office programs.

It's not rocket science!

On 7/17/2020 11:22 AM, David Diamond wrote:

I believe with an outlook or Hotmail account you get 5 Gs free of one drive space.  Not bad if you don’t need it.  Myself I ran out of the 5 Gs rather quickly as basically everything in my drop box is in my one drive now.

Marie,

You are actually getting 2TB of space for about $120 per year with Dropbox. Not that this overrides your argument but it's best to quote the correct facts.

Alan Lemly

If you think about it, One year of DropBox with 1TB is around $120. You can get a one year subscription to Office 365 which you can share with family members. Each member can install on five systems and each one gets their own 1TB of One Drive space. In addition, as long as you are subscribed you get all updates to all the Office programs.

It's not rocket science!

On 7/17/2020 11:22 AM, David Diamond wrote:

I believe with an outlook or Hotmail account you get 5 Gs free of one drive space.  Not bad if you don’t need it.  Myself I ran out of the 5 Gs rather quickly as basically everything in my drop box is in my one drive now.

David Diamond

I think I paid including taxes $159 for 3 Tbs of storage with drop box.  Using Marie’s logic, $120 for 1 Tb per user and you can have 5 different users is still the best bang for your buck. Strictly mathematically it is $120 for 5 Tbs of storage.

Richard Turner

If I may chime in here, Marie's point was you don't just get storage for your money with Microsoft 365, you also get the entire Office Suite of programs.
Dropbox just gives you storage.
So, it depends what you want/need.

Richard

On Jul 17, 2020, at 5:41 PM, David Diamond <Daviddiamond2019@...> wrote:

I think I paid including taxes $159 for 3 Tbs of storage with drop box.  Using Marie’s logic, $120 for 1 Tb per user and you can have 5 different users is still the best bang for your buck. Strictly mathematically it is $120 for 5 Tbs of storage.

Gezim Rexha

Apologies if I am writing off-topic, but since the discussion is about One Drive, I would like to share my concern related to it. Recently I installed One Drive also on my iPhone, but unlike Drop Box, I was not able to listen to audio books that I copied from my PC and ;pasted to One Drive. In fact, I could se the list of all files, but regardless which one I would click, I could always hear only one of them, I think the first one. Any explanations?

Cheers,

Gezim