Question about Windows Defender

Marianne Denning

I am running Windows Defender and I keep getting messages from FaceBook to change my password. It has happened 3 times in the last month. I know this is not a JAWS question but does anyone have any suggestions about why this is happening? I have a Windows 10 computer and all Windows updates are current.

Shirley Tracy

Mary Ann, I got a few of those messages and ignored them. Nothing happened. They just might be a scam—or they could be legit, but I still have FaceBook and nothing happened when I didn’t change. Just my opinion. Others may have more to add.

Cheerfully.

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 4:25 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Question about Windows Defender

I am running Windows Defender and I keep getting messages from FaceBook to change my password. It has happened 3 times in the last month. I know this is not a JAWS question but does anyone have any suggestions about why this is happening? I have a Windows 10 computer and all Windows updates are current.

Marianne Denning

I have tried doing that but any time I try to go into FaceBook it takes me to some page called Epsilon. I don’t know if this is legit or not.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: Question about Windows Defender

Mary Ann, I got a few of those messages and ignored them. Nothing happened. They just might be a scam—or they could be legit, but I still have FaceBook and nothing happened when I didn’t change. Just my opinion. Others may have more to add.

Cheerfully.

Shirley Tracy

Chris

I would doubt its anything to do with windows defender either , so Thats irrelevant

I would go to facebook.com directly, rather than clicking on any links in emails or popups you are receiving, which may be a scam or not, but best to be on the safe side, eh?

Sent: 27 September 2021 21:25

Marianne Denning

I go to m.facebook.com on my Windows computer and it takes me to Epsilon. If I just go to facebook.com I am stuck and can’t go any further.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris via groups.io
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 5:15 PM

I would doubt its anything to do with windows defender either , so Thats irrelevant

I would go to facebook.com directly, rather than clicking on any links in emails or popups you are receiving, which may be a scam or not, but best to be on the safe side, eh?

Richard Turner

Is this happening when you run a scan with Windows Defender or just popping up at random?

In either case, I’d call Microsoft Accessibility and see if they can help determine how legitimate this is, or isn’t.  800-936-5900

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marianne Denning
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 2:17 PM

I go to m.facebook.com on my Windows computer and it takes me to Epsilon. If I just go to facebook.com I am stuck and can’t go any further.

Bill White

Hi, Marianne. Do you live in the United States, and if so, would you be willing to either call me, or to have me call you, if you live in Canada, or do not have a long-distance calling plan. I believe I could help you go to m.facebook.com directly. Your browser should not be taking you to epsilon. I will write to you privately with my information.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marianne Denning

Bill White

Hi again, Marianne. One thing you might do is, rather than trying to use,

m.facebook.com

try,

mbasic.facebook.com

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marianne Denning

Marianne Denning

Yes, I live in the U.S. and have unlimited calling.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 5:23 PM

Hi, Marianne. Do you live in the United States, and if so, would you be willing to either call me, or to have me call you, if you live in Canada, or do not have a long-distance calling plan. I believe I could help you go to m.facebook.com directly. Your browser should not be taking you to epsilon. I will write to you privately with my information.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

If the messages come from Facebook I don't see what it has to do with Windows Defender. You might simply want to go ahead and change it and it will probably fix the issue. I have actually seen notifications in the iOS keychain app where for some less important logins where I have a comparatively simple password it says that this password has been identified to be part of some password leak and I should change it. Maybe the messages from Facebook are for a similar reason.

Sent: September 27, 2021 1:26 PM

That is a good point, are you sure they are really from Facebook? How do you get these messages? Are they emails, notifications or text messages? If you do change it I would certainly not follow the link in any of these requests if there is a link but log into Facebook and then select the option to change password from your account settings area.

Sent: September 27, 2021 1:33 PM

Cheerfully.

Shirley Tracy

Sounds like a scam, what you have to do is look at the underlying URL of the link you are asked to click on, but generally speaking unless you requested a password reset and expect an email with a link to follow never click on any links in emails like that. If you have already done so and changed yourpassword I would immediately log into Facebook and change your password again there and of course youwould have to do the same for any other websites where you used that password. There is a reason why it is strongly recommended that you use different passwords for different websites and nowadays really the only option in my opinion is to use a password manager because if you really are using good password security meaning difficult and for the most part random passwords there is no way anybody can remember all the passwords one needs.

Sent: September 27, 2021 1:46 PM

I have tried doing that but any time I try to go into FaceBook it takes me to some page called Epsilon. I don’t know if this is legit or not.

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 4:33 PM

Cheerfully.

Shirley Tracy

Marianne Denning

When I type in anything related to FaceBook it takes me to Epsilon to set up my new password. My frustration is this has happened 3 times in about 6 weeks and it is extremely frustrating. I wondered if it could be a virus or something similar.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 5:13 AM

If the messages come from Facebook I don't see what it has to do with Windows Defender. You might simply want to go ahead and change it and it will probably fix the issue. I have actually seen notifications in the iOS keychain app where for some less important logins where I have a comparatively simple password it says that this password has been identified to be part of some password leak and I should change it. Maybe the messages from Facebook are for a similar reason.

Richard Turner

A quick web search tells me that Facebook is contracting with some company named epsilon to take care of its marketing.

That doesn’t mean it is safe.

Have you run a full scan of your computer with Windows Defender to see if anything jumps out at you?

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 2:17 PM

When I type in anything related to FaceBook it takes me to Epsilon to set up my new password. My frustration is this has happened 3 times in about 6 weeks and it is extremely frustrating. I wondered if it could be a virus or something similar.

Bill White

Hi, Marianne. I think what is going on is that your browser has cookies related to Facebook and Epsilon. You need to get rid of all your cookies associated with Facebook, m.facebook and Epsilon. This is why I wanted to talk with you, and either walk you through the process of starting with a fresh browser with no cookies associated with these websites. I believe that, if I could look at your system, I could rid you of this stuff, and leave all your other cookies in place. I hardly ever delete all my cookies. But when your browser starts giving you trouble, the first thing to do is delete all items in the cache, delete your browsing history and any cookies associated with sites that are giving you trouble.

If you wish, I will help you. Please write back, and I'll see what I can do. I'll need to know which browser you are using when you get epsilon and so forth.

Thank you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Marianne Denning

I had to delete all of my cookies very recently for another problem not related to FaceBook. I will try to give you a call tomorrow to see if you can help. Thank you so much.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 5:46 PM

Hi, Marianne. I think what is going on is that your browser has cookies related to Facebook and Epsilon. You need to get rid of all your cookies associated with Facebook, m.facebook and Epsilon. This is why I wanted to talk with you, and either walk you through the process of starting with a fresh browser with no cookies associated with these websites. I believe that, if I could look at your system, I could rid you of this stuff, and leave all your other cookies in place. I hardly ever delete all my cookies. But when your browser starts giving you trouble, the first thing to do is delete all items in the cache, delete your browsing history and any cookies associated with sites that are giving you trouble.

If you wish, I will help you. Please write back, and I'll see what I can do. I'll need to know which browser you are using when you get epsilon and so forth.

Thank you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Could you actually explain what this "epsilon" that you get redirected to is?

When I googled it there is a website called episolon.com, the title says "The leader in outcome-based marketing | Epsilon", is that the one?

Sent: September 28, 2021 2:17 PM

Marianne Denning

I assume so  but I don’t know for sure. It is what I have to use to reset my FaceBook password. I guess FaceBook has contracted with them to handle this.

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 6:37 PM

When I googled it there is a website called episolon.com, the title says "The leader in outcome-based marketing | Epsilon", is that the one?

That doesn't sound right, no third party should be involved for resetting your Facebook password and if you open a browser and type www.facebook.com or m.facebook.com into the address bar you certainly should end up on

Facebook and not some other site.

Sent: September 28, 2021 4:58 PM

I assume so  but I don’t know for sure. It is what I have to use to reset my FaceBook password. I guess FaceBook has contracted with them to handle this.

Marianne Denning

I tried that and I still ended up on Epsilon to reset my FaceBook password. I know it sounds crazy but it is true.

Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 1:55 PM

That doesn't sound right, no third party should be involved for resetting your Facebook password and if you open a browser and type www.facebook.com or m.facebook.com into the address bar you certainly should end up on

Facebook and not some other site.

Sent: September 28, 2021 4:58 PM