moderated Question about jaws reading

Justin Williams

I have Jaws 2021, and windows 10. Office 2016

I've noticed, that when I read by word in Microsoft word, that JAWS sometimes doesn't read.

The cursor will move, but it will not say anything.

When I read Character  by Character it works fine.

Why is that?

Thanks,

Justin

Bill White

Check to see if Smart Word reading is on. If it is, try turning it off.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I have Jaws 2021, and windows 10. Office 2016

I've noticed, that when I read by word in Microsoft word, that JAWS sometimes doesn't read.

The cursor will move, but it will not say anything.

When I read Character  by Character it works fine.

Why is that?

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Williams

Where is smart word reading?

Justin

Check to see if Smart Word reading is on. If it is, try turning it off.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I have Jaws 2021, and windows 10. Office 2016

I've noticed, that when I read by word in Microsoft word, that JAWS sometimes doesn't read.

The cursor will move, but it will not say anything.

When I read Character  by Character it works fine.

Why is that?

Thanks,

Justin

Mike B.

With Word open press, Insert + V, to open Jaws quick settings.

Type, smart, into the search field and give it a couple of seconds to find.

There should only be 1 result, so down arrow and if it's checked, it's on, and if it's not checked it's off.

After making any settings changes tab to, Okay, and press enter to save / close.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2021 12:08 PM

Where is smart word reading?

Justin

Check to see if Smart Word reading is on. If it is, try turning it off.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I have Jaws 2021, and windows 10. Office 2016

I've noticed, that when I read by word in Microsoft word, that JAWS sometimes doesn't read.

The cursor will move, but it will not say anything.

When I read Character  by Character it works fine.

Why is that?

Thanks,

Justin

Bill White

Hi, Justin. It's in one of two places. First it's in the JAWS Startup Wizard, under Help.

Secondly, it is in Quick Settings (JAWS key plus V). When the search box opens, after you press JAWS key plus V, enter the word smart, and Smart Reading will come up in the search. If it is checked, try unchecking it, and see if that makes a difference in how you can navigate with the arrow keys. Make sure to TAB to the OK button to save the changes.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Check to see if Smart Word reading is on. If it is, try turning it off.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Check to see if Smart Word reading is on. If it is, try turning it off.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I have Jaws 2021, and windows 10. Office 2016

I've noticed, that when I read by word in Microsoft word, that JAWS sometimes doesn't read.

The cursor will move, but it will not say anything.

When I read Character  by Character it works fine.

Why is that?

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Williams

Much appreciated.

Justin

Check to see if Smart Word reading is on. If it is, try turning it off.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I have Jaws 2021, and windows 10. Office 2016

I've noticed, that when I read by word in Microsoft word, that JAWS sometimes doesn't read.

The cursor will move, but it will not say anything.

When I read Character  by Character it works fine.

Why is that?

Thanks,

Justin

Justin Williams

So, even though I did uncheck smart read, I am still having the same problem with JAWS not reading when I read by word.  It may read some of them, but they it still won't say anything when I read word by word.

Thanks

Justin

Check to see if Smart Word reading is on. If it is, try turning it off.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I have Jaws 2021, and windows 10. Office 2016

I've noticed, that when I read by word in Microsoft word, that JAWS sometimes doesn't read.

The cursor will move, but it will not say anything.

When I read Character  by Character it works fine.

Why is that?

Thanks,

Justin

Milton Ota

I know it is the weekend but have you tried tech support at Freedom Scientific or even calling the Microsoft Accessibility help desk?

I’m also wondering what might be your display brightness set too.

Milton Ota

ICAN Island Computer Access Now

4273 Coventry Dr., S.

Unit E