Topics

moderated Question About Excel

clarence carter

Lately, I have noticed that when I hit the F2 key to edit a cell, JAWS reads the contents, but I cannot move through the contents of a cell. For example if I want to check the spelling of an entry, I usually hit F2 and arrow back and forth to see the spelling. I do the same thing if I want to check a formula. Am I missing a JAWS or Excel setting?

NFB Lab 4

I have had some of that myself. Try using that control home after you hit the key to edit the cell. It seems to go back to the beginning of the cell and you could then arrow to the right.

On Oct 19, 2020, at 8:37 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

Lately, I have noticed that when I hit the F2 key to edit a cell, JAWS reads the contents, but I cannot move through the contents of a cell. For example if I want to check the spelling of an entry, I usually hit F2 and arrow back and forth to see the spelling. I do the same thing if I want to check a formula. Am I missing a JAWS or Excel setting?

Ann Byrne

Maybe.
1. In Excel, go to advanced options: alt-f, then t, then a.
2. Tab to "allow editing directly in cells" and be sure it is not checked.

Good luck!

At 07:37 PM 10/19/2020, you wrote:

Lately, I have noticed that when I hit the F2 key to edit a cell, JAWS reads the contents, but I cannot move through the contents of a cell. For example if I want to check the spelling of an entry, I usually hit F2 and arrow back and forth to see the spelling. I do the same thing if I want to check a formula. Am I missing a JAWS or Excel setting?

Ali Ismail <haydaraliismail90@...>

I seem to have the same problem.

I normally use excel for a glossary of terms. As I am a university student,
numerous terms that I have to deal with are new to me. Therefore, I have an
excel work sheet divided into four columns. In the first Colum, I have a
word that requires a definition, in the second Columb I have the type of
word i.e. verb, noun, adjective, or adverb; then, in the third Columb I have
the definition, and finally, in the 4th Columb I have an example of the word
applied in a sentence.

I have often observed that when I am using f2 for a cell within the first
column, I can comfortably use my left and right arrows to check the spelling
of a particular word. However, if I go to my third or fourth Columb, which
constitutes of multiple words, I am unable to use jaws to navigate within
the cell. This is really strange, and I have not found a solution to this
problem. I have also tried the suggestion mentioned below with regards to
unchecking the 'allow editing directly in cells' box, but it seems to be
unsuccessful on my end.

If someone has a solution of this, I, likewise, will be very grateful.

Below are the specs of my computer:
Lenovo ThinkPad laptop with windows 10 running on it.
Jaws version 18.
Microsoft office 2016

With the best of wishes,

Ali

1. In Excel, go to advanced options: alt-f, then t, then a.
2. Tab to "allow editing directly in cells" and be sure it is not checked.

Good luck!
At 07:37 PM 10/19/2020, you wrote:

Lately, I have noticed that when I hit the F2 key to edit a cell, JAWS
reads the contents, but I cannot move through the contents of a cell.
For example if I want to check the spelling of an entry, I usually hit
F2 and arrow back and forth to see the spelling. I do the same thing if
I want to check a formula. Am I missing a JAWS or Excel setting?

Richard B. McDonald

In addition to unchecking the "edit in cell" option, another thing I have
done is uncheck the option for "auto completion." The combination of these
two things has resulted in a resolution for me.

1. In Excel, go to advanced options: alt-f, then t, then a.
2. Tab to "allow editing directly in cells" and be sure it is not checked.

Good luck!
At 07:37 PM 10/19/2020, you wrote:

Lately, I have noticed that when I hit the F2 key to edit a cell, JAWS
reads the contents, but I cannot move through the contents of a cell.
For example if I want to check the spelling of an entry, I usually hit
F2 and arrow back and forth to see the spelling. I do the same thing if
I want to check a formula. Am I missing a JAWS or Excel setting?

R&J

From time to time I have this issue and have tried many things to correct it.  Sometimes they work and sometimes they do not work.  Please try the following:

1.  Go to the "VIEW" menu and zoom in or out.  75% and 100% seem to be the best zoom sizes.
2.  Press alt+space bar and try "Restore" if the window is maximized or try "Max" if the window is not maximized.
3.  Press insert+Escape or try insert+ctl+Escape to reset the JAWS scripts.
4.  If push comes to shove, I kill JAWS and restart it.

Most of the time, one of these methods will correct the problem.

Ron