Topics

moderated Question About accessible web pages

clarence carter

I have run into a problem with a web page. It is set up to change the page formatting when it detects a screen reader.

What happens is that the screen reader will read the page as normal until you try to move to another spot on the page. Then, the page says page downloading. I have added the web page below. If anybody has a way around this I would appreciate your help.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/

Richard Turner

If they have a phone number, I'd call them and inform them that they have created an inaccessible site by trying to use the screen reader detection.
Before I clicked on the button that said to use it in accessibility mode hit the first button.
After that, even after deleting cookies it is still loading the page.

Richard

On Sep 7, 2020, at 6:18 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have run into a problem with a web page. It is set up to change the page formatting when it detects a screen reader.

What happens is that the screen reader will read the page as normal until you try to move to another spot on the page. Then, the page says page downloading. I have added the web page below. If anybody has a way around this I would appreciate your help.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/

Cohn, Jonathan

That is truely horrible. Can I share with the accessibility community? To try and resolve, try changing the click behaviour for that web page. Look for the word simulate in quick settings and find the setting for that site (the results should show up twice, once for general and once for specific site) and then toggle the setting.
Feel free to reply directly to me!
Jonathan cohn

On Sep 7, 2020, at 9:18 PM, clarence carter via groups.io <clcarter@...> wrote:

I have run into a problem with a web page. It is set up to change the page formatting when it detects a screen reader.

What happens is that the screen reader will read the page as normal until you try to move to another spot on the page. Then, the page says page downloading. I have added the web page below. If anybody has a way around this I would appreciate your help.

clarence carter

Thanks Jonathin, I am using Chrome. Where are the click settings? Or is it a function of JAWS?

[...]

Sorry, quick settings for JAWS. insert-V.