moderated Putting an app on my desktop with Jaws?

Maria Reyes

Hi,
How do I put Outlook onto my desktop? To open it I just hit my windows key for the start menu and just type in Outlook and press enter to open, but how do I put it on my desktop? I'm using Jaws 2019.

Bill White

Hi, Maria.

1. Press Windows key plus R for the Run dialog.
2. Type the following into the dialog box,

shell:appsfolder

3. Once the AppsFolder opens, use first letter navigation to navigate to the
program you want to put on the desktop.
4. Press either the Applications menu key, or press SHIFT plus F10.
5. Arrow down to Create Shortcut, and press ENTER.
6. Now the program will have a shortcut on the desktop.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

How do I put Outlook onto my desktop? To open it I just hit my windows key
for the start menu and just type in Outlook and press enter to open, but how
do I put it on my desktop? I'm using Jaws 2019.

Bill White

Hi again, Maria. I wish to edit my previous message to you, as I left out a
couple of steps that seem simple to me, but could cause you confusion.

1. Press Windows key plus R for the Run dialog.
2. Type the following into the dialog box,

shell:appsfolder

3. Once the AppsFolder opens, use first letter navigation to navigate to the
program you want to put on the desktop.
4. Press either the Applications menu key, or press SHIFT plus F10.
5. Arrow down to Create Shortcut, and press ENTER.
6. When Windows tells you that Windows can't create a shortcut here, and
asks if you want to put the shortcut on the desktop, answer Yes, or press
SPACE BAR.
7. Once you answer Yes, close the AppsFolder with ALT plus F4.
8. Now the program will have a shortcut on the desktop.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

How do I put Outlook onto my desktop? To open it I just hit my windows key
for the start menu and just type in Outlook and press enter to open, but how
do I put it on my desktop? I'm using Jaws 2019.

Chris

Instead of hitting enter , do a right click and choose open file location

File explorer should open with the outlook.exe selected , again right click and go to the send to sub menu and choose desktop create shortcut option

You are done”

How do I put Outlook onto my desktop? To open it I just hit my windows key for the start menu and just type in Outlook and press enter to open, but how do I put it on my desktop? I'm using Jaws 2019.

Maria Reyes

Hi, So I pressed windows R and typed
shell: appsfolder and pressed enter.
I got windows cannot find shell: appsfolder. make sure you're typing the correct name? did I write it wrong?

want to talk about all aspects of blindness? Join the blind chatroom list by sending an email to blind-chatroom-request@freelists.org with subscribe in the subject

On Mar 8, 2021, at 2:34 AM, Bill White <billwhite92701@att.net> wrote:

[...]

Adding Desktop Shortcuts Under Windows 10

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 05:02 PM, Maria Reyes wrote:
shell: appsfolder
-
Maria, this should all be one long word.  There is no space between the colon after shell and appsfolder.  Since you included one in your message that might be the problem.

To think is to differ.
      ~ Clarence Darrow

Bill White

Hi, Maria. First, if you are using Windows 7, you cannot use this command.

Second, if you are using Windows 10, there is no space between the colon and the word Appsfolder.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

How do I put Outlook onto my desktop? To open it I just hit my windows key
for the start menu and just type in Outlook and press enter to open, but how
do I put it on my desktop? I'm using Jaws 2019.

Dave Durber

Maria:

Shell:appsfolder must be typed as a continuous string of characters, with no spaces.

HTH

Dave Durberr