moderated Punctuation within links during Say All.

Dennis Brown

Is anyone having JAWS announcing punctuation within link text when using Say All?

If I read a document with several links separated by a comma, the comma gets read, as well as quotes, periods, etc.

The Say All punctuation setting is set to none, as well as the global punctuation.

Also, if I read a link with down arrow, or Say Line, the dictionary file for that application is processed, but in Say All, it isn’t.

For instance, if I read St. Louis, it reads as Street Louis, instead of Saint Louis, if I’m reading with Say All.

Using latest build of JAWS 2022 on Windows 11.

Anyone experiencing this?

Thanks,

Dennis

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Armando L. Vias

Hello. Hope that you’re having a good day so far. Have you checked your punctuation settings? Take care.

On Jan 21, 2022, at 6:03 PM, Dennis Brown <dennistbrown@...> wrote:

Is anyone having JAWS announcing punctuation within link text when using Say All?

If I read a document with several links separated by a comma, the comma gets read, as well as quotes, periods, etc.

The Say All punctuation setting is set to none, as well as the global punctuation.

Also, if I read a link with down arrow, or Say Line, the dictionary file for that application is processed, but in Say All, it isn’t.

For instance, if I read St. Louis, it reads as Street Louis, instead of Saint Louis, if I’m reading with Say All.

Using latest build of JAWS 2022 on Windows 11.

Anyone experiencing this?

Thanks,

Dennis

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Armando L. Vias

Update: that is weird. Have you tried restarting jaws?

On Jan 21, 2022, at 6:26 PM, Armando Vias <armando@...> wrote:

[...]

Yest, it’s been doing this for a while, but I’m not sure which build it started in.

And I have punctuation set to none on global and Say All punctuation settings.

[...]

Adrian Spratt

A few thoughts.

When a comma or other punctuation follows a link, I believe JAWS sees it as if it were a comma following a space. In “some” punctuation, which is my standard setting, a comma will be read if it’s isolated from the word preceding it.

The same probably applies to closing quotation marks.

I can’t explain the St. Louis issue, unless it happens when what you encountered while reading in “say all” was St without a period.

--

For my blog and news about my upcoming novel, please visit www.adrianspratt.com

[...]

Thanks!

I’ll see if that is the issue.

As far as the St. Louis…

It is the same link that reads Saint Louis with down arrow, but Street Louis with Say All.