Asking this for someone on another list.  Hope someone can help.

From: Moty Azrad
 When I type anything in my word2016 and save the file.

When I open it with Jaws2020 the latest update, I can read the text but after each word I get the placemarkers speech and I see the placemarkers sign in my Braille display too.

When I close Jaws and start NVDA, AND OPEN THE SAME FILE, I don’t have any problem.

So my understanding is that the problem is only within Jaws.

Any solution or help, please.

Moti Azrad

Musician and Piano-Tuner

motiaz@...

azrad_moty@...

Richard Turner

I’m using Jaws 2020 with the latest Jaws update from April, and have never seen this happen with Outlook 2016 in Office 365.

Maybe the wrong speech setup got loaded?

Richard

Asking this for someone on another list.  Hope someone can help.

When I type anything in my word2016 and save the file.

When I open it with Jaws2020 the latest update, I can read the text but after each word I get the placemarkers speech and I see the placemarkers sign in my Braille display too.

When I close Jaws and start NVDA, AND OPEN THE SAME FILE, I don’t have any problem.

So my understanding is that the problem is only within Jaws.

Any solution or help, please.

Moti Azrad

Musician and Piano-Tuner

motiaz@...

azrad_moty@...

Mike B

Richard,

Could this be a margin or paragraph setting that needs changing or, turned off in Jaws?  It sounds like the placemarkers are there, but only recognized / announced by Jaws.

Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 11:54 AM

From: Moty Azrad

When I type anything in my word2016 and save the file.

When I open it with Jaws2020 the latest update, I can read the text but after each word I get the placemarkers speech and I see the placemarkers sign in my Braille display too.

When I close Jaws and start NVDA, AND OPEN THE SAME FILE, I don’t have any problem.

So my understanding is that the problem is only within Jaws.

Any solution or help, please.

Moti Azrad

Musician and Piano-Tuner

motiaz@...

azrad_moty@...

Richard Turner

The way I read his message, he didn’t put in place markers, or did I miss something.

And, honestly, I have no idea.

I know about place markers on web sites, but not in word documents.

Someone who knows a heck of a lot more about Jaws idiosyncrasies will need to chime in here.

Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 11:54 AM

I’m using Jaws 2020 with the latest Jaws update from April, and have never seen this happen with Outlook 2016 in Office 365.

Maybe the wrong speech setup got loaded?

Richard

Asking this for someone on another list.  Hope someone can help.

When I type anything in my word2016 and save the file.

When I open it with Jaws2020 the latest update, I can read the text but after each word I get the placemarkers speech and I see the placemarkers sign in my Braille display too.

When I close Jaws and start NVDA, AND OPEN THE SAME FILE, I don’t have any problem.

So my understanding is that the problem is only within Jaws.

Any solution or help, please.

Moti Azrad

Musician and Piano-Tuner

motiaz@...

azrad_moty@...

Mike B

That's the way I understand it as well, he's not inserting placemarkers, but it sounds like Word is inserting them when he saves the document.  Every search of done about placemarkers comes up with more about paragraph marks and page breaks than anything about stopping the automatic insertion of placemarkers.  Here's an example of a search I did on how to remove placemarkers from a Word document.

Featured snippet from the web
Word - Remove all table of authority markers
list of 5 items
1. Click the Show/Hide Paragraph Markers tool on the Home tab to show the Paragraph markers. (The rest of the directions will not work if this step is
not taken)
2. Press Ctrl+H to display the Find and Replace dialog box.
3. In the Find What box, enter ^19 TA.
4. Make sure that nothing is in the Replace With box.
5. Click Replace All.
list end

Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 11:54 AM

From: Moty Azrad

When I type anything in my word2016 and save the file.

When I open it with Jaws2020 the latest update, I can read the text but after each word I get the placemarkers speech and I see the placemarkers sign in my Braille display too.

When I close Jaws and start NVDA, AND OPEN THE SAME FILE, I don’t have any problem.

So my understanding is that the problem is only within Jaws.

Any solution or help, please.

Moti Azrad

Musician and Piano-Tuner

motiaz@...

azrad_moty@...

Adrian Spratt

Mike,

You may well have found an answer where none came to my mind. It may be worth pointing out that the placemarker referred to in the snippet are probably not JAWS placemarkers. they’re more likely MS Word’s own insertion points that enable a user to return to the same place after a file is closed. I think of them more as place holders, even though the terminology appears to be the same.

Maybe ask Moty if he inserts such points when he’s about to close a file. Then again, Word inserts them automatically, which is a nuisance when you reopen Word files because you must wait a second or two to start typing. If I forget, JAWS and Word get hung up and I have to reopen Word and sometimes also shut down JAWS.

Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 11:54 AM

I’m using Jaws 2020 with the latest Jaws update from April, and have never seen this happen with Outlook 2016 in Office 365.

Maybe the wrong speech setup got loaded?

Richard

Asking this for someone on another list.  Hope someone can help.

When I type anything in my word2016 and save the file.

When I open it with Jaws2020 the latest update, I can read the text but after each word I get the placemarkers speech and I see the placemarkers sign in my Braille display too.

When I close Jaws and start NVDA, AND OPEN THE SAME FILE, I don’t have any problem.

So my understanding is that the problem is only within Jaws.

Any solution or help, please.

Moti Azrad

Musician and Piano-Tuner

motiaz@...

azrad_moty@...

Ann Byrne

It could be a JAWS setting:

Insert -v; editing options; new lines and paragraph indications.

From: Moty Azrad

When I type anything in my word2016 and save the file.

When I open it with Jaws2020 the latest update, I can read the text but after each word I get the placemarkers speech and I see the placemarkers sign in my Braille display too.

When I close Jaws and start NVDA, AND OPEN THE SAME FILE, I don’t have any problem.

So my understanding is that the problem is only within Jaws.

Any solution or help, please.

Moti Azrad

Musician and Piano-Tuner

motiaz@...

azrad_moty@...

Richard Turner

You know, it could be a word setting that has it showing spac characters, tabs,  hard returns, etc.
Off hand, I cannot remember where those options are.
It could be under File, Options, Proofing/
I'm not where I can check right now.

Richard

Linus to Charlie Brown: "Worrying won't stop the bad stuff from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good."

Sent with the iPhone SE 2020
www.turner42.com

[...]

Hi Ann & Adrian,

This is what I'm thinking, Jaws is saying, placemarkers, when they're actually paragraph or new line marks of some nature or, as Adrian mentioned, something Word is inserting, but Jaws is not reading correctly.  I'll have Moti turn off the new lines & paragraph option as Ann suggests to see if this'll take care of the problem.  Thank you very much for all of your help.

From: Moty Azrad

When I type anything in my word2016 and save the file.

When I open it with Jaws2020 the latest update, I can read the text but after each word I get the placemarkers speech and I see the placemarkers sign in my Braille display too.

When I close Jaws and start NVDA, AND OPEN THE SAME FILE, I don’t have any problem.

So my understanding is that the problem is only within Jaws.

Any solution or help, please.

Moti Azrad

Musician and Piano-Tuner

motiaz@...

azrad_moty@...

Mike B

That's okay Richard, I know where those settings are at, it's just trying to figure out exactly what to start with.  But, I think I'll tell this Moti person to start with turning off new lines and paragraph indication in Jaws quick settings as suggested by Anns.    Thanks for your input.

From: Moty Azrad

When I type anything in my word2016 and save the file.

When I open it with Jaws2020 the latest update, I can read the text but after each word I get the placemarkers speech and I see the placemarkers sign in my Braille display too.

When I close Jaws and start NVDA, AND OPEN THE SAME FILE, I don’t have any problem.

So my understanding is that the problem is only within Jaws.

Any solution or help, please.

Moti Azrad

Musician and Piano-Tuner

motiaz@...

azrad_moty@...

Artur Räpp

Hi,

Try with Microsoft Word shortcut key

CTRL+8 (show/hide all hidden symbols)

JAWS can read these marks and show on braille display. NVDA can not as far as I know.

It is quite easy to switch this option accidentally on when you wish to write ( (shft+8) and press ctrl instead of shift.

HTH

Artur

Asking this for someone on another list.  Hope someone can help.

When I type anything in my word2016 and save the file.

When I open it with Jaws2020 the latest update, I can read the text but after each word I get the placemarkers speech and I see the placemarkers sign in my Braille display too.

When I close Jaws and start NVDA, AND OPEN THE SAME FILE, I don’t have any problem.

So my understanding is that the problem is only within Jaws.

Any solution or help, please.

Moti Azrad

Musician and Piano-Tuner

motiaz@...

azrad_moty@...

Mike B

Hi Artur,

I'll send this to the person having the problem.  Thank you very much for your input.