From: Lenore Presley [mailto:lenorepresley@...]
Subject: Problem with the way JAWS reads numbers and spaces in between in Braille
Date: Monday, March 14, 2022, 1:56 PM
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Hello,

My name is Lenore Presley. I am DeafBlind and use JAWS with Braille.

I have some problems with how JAWS reads numbers and spaces in between them in Outlook and Microsoft Word. When I read numbers with spaces inbetwwen, dots appear in places where the spaces are supposed to be. I would like to know how I can remedy this issue. Yes, even when I write inWord and try to type numbers and spaces in between numbers, dots still appear in place of spaces.

I would greatly appreciate your assistance!

Sincerely,

Lenore Presley ;o)

.

Lenore Presley

Lenore here.

Mariom

Nothing happened after I pressed alt plus shift together. Is there a key that I need to press with the Alt plus shift key combination? Is this a Windows problem or is it a JAWS issue?

Thanks!

EOM (end of Message)

I recently had a similar issue, and I solved it by pressing alt+shift
to set the keyboard language to US English. I don't know if there's
another way.

My name is Lenore Presley. I am DeafBlind and use JAWS with Braille.

I have some problems with how JAWS reads numbers and spaces in between
them in Outlook and Microsoft Word. When I read numbers with spaces
inbetwwen, dots appear in places where the spaces are supposed to be. I
would like to know how I can remedy this issue. Yes, even when I write
inWord and try to type numbers and spaces in between numbers, dots still
appear in place of spaces.

I would greatly appreciate your assistance!

Sincerely,

Lenore Presley ;o)

.

Mario

nope, nothing else to press. alt+shift is a Windows command, I think, to switch keyboard languages, but if you never installed a different language pack, pressing alt+shift will do nothing.

[...]

I see. I'llcheck for the keyboard settings in Windows to see what I have. The problem exists while reading mail andWord documents. So not sure if it is the keyboard issue. I'll check it out. Thank you.

EOM

[...]

I found the Windows keyboard language by searching for it. It is set at English (United States). So it is not the problem. I hope someone else can help me here. Thank you.

EOM

[...]

Cohn, Jonathan

I am confused as to what you are experiencing. Are you saying there is a period between numbers (dot 46 or dot 256) or a single dot like (dot3 or dot6) ? Also, you didn't mention any of your braille settings:

Contracted or uncontracted
US English or UEB
Input in computer braille or same as output.

Lenore Presley

Lenore here.

Jonathan,

It was the dot 5 that appeared in the place of spaces between numbers.  This problem affects UEB code.  We were able tofix the problem and the appearance returned to normal after we changed theversion which I described in  my updated post earlier today.

Hope it clears things up.

EOM

I am confused as to what you are experiencing. Are you saying there is a period between numbers (dot 46 or dot 256) or a single dot like (dot3 or dot6) ? Also, you didn't mention any of your braille settings:

Contracted or uncontracted
US English or UEB
Input in computer braille or same as output.

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Press Control 8 in Word, and that should turn off space markers, which I think you are seeing.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...
[...]

Bill White

Hi, Steve. I believe the keystroke to toggle whether or not space and paragraph markers are displayed is CONTROL plus SHIFT plus 8 on the numbers row, not CONTROL 8.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Ah beg your pardon, you are right Bill.

All the best