From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Judy
Sent: Sunday, June 5, 2022 4:15 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: problem with search box

Hi, all, I was on a website with one of those lovely overlays. This is a website for buying supplements and such, and it does show a search button, but it says “button collapsed.” I have tried all I know to get it opened to be “expanded” so I can use it to search and nothing happens. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Judy & Libby

Judy

Bill, I tried the space bar, the enter key and the left mouse button and none worked. The site is:

Store.healthylivingshop.com  no www before it. Judy & Libby

leonard morris

I usually use the enter key to expend the menu. Is there a difference between using the space bar or the return key?

On Jun 6, 2022, at 7:32 AM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

Hi, Judy. The Space Bar should open the search box. If it doesn't, there may be a problem with how the overlay is reacting with the website. Could you give us the URL of the website, so we can look at the search box?

Thank you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi, all, I was on a website with one of those lovely overlays. This is a website for buying supplements and such, and it does show a search button, but it says “button collapsed.” I have tried all I know to get it opened to be “expanded” so I can use it to search and nothing happens. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Judy & Libby

Bill White

Hi, Judy. I can't check the search box, because, apparently, you have to log in to get to the search box, and I don't have an account with their store.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Bill, I tried the space bar, the enter key and the left mouse button and none worked. The site is:

Store.healthylivingshop.com  no www before it. Judy & Libby

Bill White

Hi, Leonard. If you use the return key, some websites will open a new page which is supposed to present the results. But, since you haven't entered anything into the search box, you will get zero results.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hi, all, I was on a website with one of those lovely overlays. This is a website for buying supplements and such, and it does show a search button, but it says “button collapsed.” I have tried all I know to get it opened to be “expanded” so I can use it to search and nothing happens. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Judy & Libby

Karen Reynolds

Hi Judy,

When I can’t get a search to work on the site, I go back to google and put in the site name and what I’m searching for.

Karen

Bill, I tried the space bar, the enter key and the left mouse button and none worked. The site is:

Store.healthylivingshop.com  no www before it. Judy & Libby

Bill White

Hi, Karen. This won't work for Judy, because she is trying to search a site to see which products they carry on that site.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

When I can’t get a search to work on the site, I go back to google and put in the site name and what I’m searching for.

Karen

Bill, I tried the space bar, the enter key and the left mouse button and none worked. The site is:

Store.healthylivingshop.com  no www before it. Judy & Libby

Adrian Spratt

Actually, Bill, it just might work. For example, I frequently use Google to search for items on Amazon because it does a much better job of limiting results to specifics. An easy example is a search for a specific symphony. With Amazon, you can get a slew of results for the particular composer, but Amazon doesn’t seem to find particular symphonies, just a long list of many recordings where “symphony” is in the recording’s details. Or it might be a pillow with specific dimensions. It’s critical to begin the Google search with the website name followed by a colon, then as much specific detail as you can provide. For instance:

Amazon.com: Mozart, symphony 38

If I know the conductor of the performance I want, I’ll include it.

Hi, Karen. This won't work for Judy, because she is trying to search a site to see which products they carry on that site.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

When I can’t get a search to work on the site, I go back to google and put in the site name and what I’m searching for.

Karen

Bill, I tried the space bar, the enter key and the left mouse button and none worked. The site is:

Store.healthylivingshop.com  no www before it. Judy & Libby

Karen Reynolds

Hi,

Thanks for the colon. I’ve not been using that one. I use this all the time rather than using the search on web sites. Some of them are flakey and others useless. If I wanted the Florida Reef pattern by Petra Breakstone from ravelry, I put ravelry Florida Reef Petra. It would bring it up as the first one in the list on the google search.

Karen

[...]

Shirley Tracy

Thank you Adrian. I wasn’t the person who asked the question, but I’m so glad to read your suggestion. I’m tired of searching through Amazon for a particular item and having to read through scores of items that are nothing like what I want. This is great.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy