moderated problem with Adobe Acrobat reader

kevin meyers

Hi,

I’m using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2022. I place my cursor on a PDF file and press enter. There are many times it takes minutes before I get the screen asking how I want to open the file. There are times it never ask the questions. I used the Jaws cursor and there was a message about knowing I was using a screen reader and that I need to do something with accessibility in Adobe Acrobat reader. I couldn’t find anything related to accessibility. Freedom Scientific said there are no settings in Jaws and I need to change some settings in Adobe Acrobat reader. They didn’t have any suggestions.

Any thoughts of where I can find the accessibility option in Adobe Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Kevin

Bill White

Hi, Kevin.

1. Open Adobe Reader.

2. Press ALT plus K for preferences.

3. Arrow down to Accessibility, and do not press ENTER.

4. TAB through the options and set as needed.

Also, When opening a pdf document, I have found it better to find the file where it appears in your folders, copy it to the clipboard, and open Adobe Acrobat. Then press CONTROL plus O, and paste the document into that open dialog.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I’m using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2022. I place my cursor on a PDF file and press enter. There are many times it takes minutes before I get the screen asking how I want to open the file. There are times it never ask the questions. I used the Jaws cursor and there was a message about knowing I was using a screen reader and that I need to do something with accessibility in Adobe Acrobat reader. I couldn’t find anything related to accessibility. Freedom Scientific said there are no settings in Jaws and I need to change some settings in Adobe Acrobat reader. They didn’t have any suggestions.

Any thoughts of where I can find the accessibility option in Adobe Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Kevin

Mike B.

Hi Kevin,

Open the Adobe Reader program and press, Alt + E, to access the edit menu.

Up arrow to, Accessibility, and press enter.

Now down arrow to, Set-up Assistant, and pres enter.

Here you'll have 3 radio buttons for settings option, screen reading programs, magnifiers and all accessibility options.  Choosee the want you want and press enter.  Now go through the various screens to set your preferred options.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Monday, December 27, 2021 6:19 PM

Hi,

I’m using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2022. I place my cursor on a PDF file and press enter. There are many times it takes minutes before I get the screen asking how I want to open the file. There are times it never ask the questions. I used the Jaws cursor and there was a message about knowing I was using a screen reader and that I need to do something with accessibility in Adobe Acrobat reader. I couldn’t find anything related to accessibility. Freedom Scientific said there are no settings in Jaws and I need to change some settings in Adobe Acrobat reader. They didn’t have any suggestions.

Any thoughts of where I can find the accessibility option in Adobe Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Kevin

Mike B.

Hi Bill,

Just for the record the keystroke to access preferences is, Control + K.  Alt + K takes you nowhere.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

I’m using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2022. I place my cursor on a PDF file and press enter. There are many times it takes minutes before I get the screen asking how I want to open the file. There are times it never ask the questions. I used the Jaws cursor and there was a message about knowing I was using a screen reader and that I need to do something with accessibility in Adobe Acrobat reader. I couldn’t find anything related to accessibility. Freedom Scientific said there are no settings in Jaws and I need to change some settings in Adobe Acrobat reader. They didn’t have any suggestions.

Any thoughts of where I can find the accessibility option in Adobe Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Kevin

Milton Ota

First, why couldn’t you use Convenient OCR to Word with JAWS. Open your file explorer and pull down the application menu and you will find it there.

If you are opening the PDF file and it comes up as an empty document, use the layered command Insert + Spacebar + O +D. You will also find at the end to convert the file to Word.

Lastly, Check your Security Enhanced and the first checkbox should be checked when you tab once.

Hopefully some of these suggestions will help.

I’m using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2022. I place my cursor on a PDF file and press enter. There are many times it takes minutes before I get the screen asking how I want to open the file. There are times it never ask the questions. I used the Jaws cursor and there was a message about knowing I was using a screen reader and that I need to do something with accessibility in Adobe Acrobat reader. I couldn’t find anything related to accessibility. Freedom Scientific said there are no settings in Jaws and I need to change some settings in Adobe Acrobat reader. They didn’t have any suggestions.

Any thoughts of where I can find the accessibility option in Adobe Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Kevin

Adrian Spratt

Kevin,

To your initial concern, about being asked how you want to open the file:

This message suggests Adobe isn’t your default app for PDF files. After you’ve pressed alt-o to open the PDF file, this should work:

Press the applications key.

Arrow up to “Open with” (or press w). Press enter.

Then arrow up or down to Adobe. Press the tab key.

I believe that here you land on the option to use this application for all PDF files. Press spacebar on the checkbox.

After that, probably tab again to the Okay button and press spacebar again.

I’m using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2022. I place my cursor on a PDF file and press enter. There are many times it takes minutes before I get the screen asking how I want to open the file. There are times it never ask the questions. I used the Jaws cursor and there was a message about knowing I was using a screen reader and that I need to do something with accessibility in Adobe Acrobat reader. I couldn’t find anything related to accessibility. Freedom Scientific said there are no settings in Jaws and I need to change some settings in Adobe Acrobat reader. They didn’t have any suggestions.

Any thoughts of where I can find the accessibility option in Adobe Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Kevin

Bill White

Hi, Mike. I knew that, but screwed it up when I went to type it.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Kevin-all,

It’s in the edit menu if you arrow up two times I think.

                                                                Hope this helps,

                                                                Cheers,

                                                                Takis

I’m using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2022. I place my cursor on a PDF file and press enter. There are many times it takes minutes before I get the screen asking how I want to open the file. There are times it never ask the questions. I used the Jaws cursor and there was a message about knowing I was using a screen reader and that I need to do something with accessibility in Adobe Acrobat reader. I couldn’t find anything related to accessibility. Freedom Scientific said there are no settings in Jaws and I need to change some settings in Adobe Acrobat reader. They didn’t have any suggestions.

Any thoughts of where I can find the accessibility option in Adobe Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Kevin

kevin meyers

Hi Bill and Mike,

I tried both methods and it still doesn’t work. This has been happening since I got my new laptop. I downloaded Adobe Ackrobat DC. Do I need to get a different version?

Thanks,

Kevin

I’m using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2022. I place my cursor on a PDF file and press enter. There are many times it takes minutes before I get the screen asking how I want to open the file. There are times it never ask the questions. I used the Jaws cursor and there was a message about knowing I was using a screen reader and that I need to do something with accessibility in Adobe Acrobat reader. I couldn’t find anything related to accessibility. Freedom Scientific said there are no settings in Jaws and I need to change some settings in Adobe Acrobat reader. They didn’t have any suggestions.

Any thoughts of where I can find the accessibility option in Adobe Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Kevin

kevin meyers

When I’m in the accessibility menu it shows that screen reader, magnifying and all are checked. When I go into Jaws cursor it shows that screen reader is checked and the other two options are not.

Adobe Acrobat reader is my default. I timed how long it took to open and it was over 2 minutes. This is a tenth generation laptopI5. I wonder if there is something wrong as when I’m MS word and do a spell check, there are times it takes 30-40 seconds before it starts. Sometimes longer. Then it takes 10-20 seconds when tabbing from ignore, ignore all, etc.

Whats up?

Sent: Monday, December 27, 2021 6:19 PM

Hi,

I’m using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2022. I place my cursor on a PDF file and press enter. There are many times it takes minutes before I get the screen asking how I want to open the file. There are times it never ask the questions. I used the Jaws cursor and there was a message about knowing I was using a screen reader and that I need to do something with accessibility in Adobe Acrobat reader. I couldn’t find anything related to accessibility. Freedom Scientific said there are no settings in Jaws and I need to change some settings in Adobe Acrobat reader. They didn’t have any suggestions.

Any thoughts of where I can find the accessibility option in Adobe Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Kevin

Curtis Chong

Good morning Kevin:

I have been using Acrobat Reader for decades now. So…perhaps I can give you the information you need here.

In Acrobat Reader, press ALT+E to open the Edit menu. Up arrow to Accessibility options, and open the submenu. Down Arrow to Accessibility Assistant. Then, select the radio button to set options for screen readers. Move through the dialog. The most important setting is the one which loads large documents entirely instead of only one page. This must be on.

If you want to work with mee offline, I can be reached at chong.curtis@....

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

I’m using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2022. I place my cursor on a PDF file and press enter. There are many times it takes minutes before I get the screen asking how I want to open the file. There are times it never ask the questions. I used the Jaws cursor and there was a message about knowing I was using a screen reader and that I need to do something with accessibility in Adobe Acrobat reader. I couldn’t find anything related to accessibility. Freedom Scientific said there are no settings in Jaws and I need to change some settings in Adobe Acrobat reader. They didn’t have any suggestions.

Any thoughts of where I can find the accessibility option in Adobe Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Kevin

Curtis Chong

Kevin:

This may require a JAWS Tandem connection. Email me offline.

Curtis

[...]

HI Milton,

Thanks very much that works.

Cheers,

Kevin

I’m using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2022. I place my cursor on a PDF file and press enter. There are many times it takes minutes before I get the screen asking how I want to open the file. There are times it never ask the questions. I used the Jaws cursor and there was a message about knowing I was using a screen reader and that I need to do something with accessibility in Adobe Acrobat reader. I couldn’t find anything related to accessibility. Freedom Scientific said there are no settings in Jaws and I need to change some settings in Adobe Acrobat reader. They didn’t have any suggestions.

Any thoughts of where I can find the accessibility option in Adobe Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Kevin

Curtis Chong

Kevin:

This begs the question of why Acrobat Reader is taking so long to open on your computer. This delay most definitely should not be happening.

Is the PDF you are trying to read extremely large, as in hundreds of pages, or small, as in one or two pages?

Thanks.

Kindly,

Curtis Chong

I’m using the most recent version of windows10 and Jaws2022. I place my cursor on a PDF file and press enter. There are many times it takes minutes before I get the screen asking how I want to open the file. There are times it never ask the questions. I used the Jaws cursor and there was a message about knowing I was using a screen reader and that I need to do something with accessibility in Adobe Acrobat reader. I couldn’t find anything related to accessibility. Freedom Scientific said there are no settings in Jaws and I need to change some settings in Adobe Acrobat reader. They didn’t have any suggestions.

Any thoughts of where I can find the accessibility option in Adobe Acrobat reader?

Cheers,

Kevin

kevin meyers

Hi Curtis,