moderated Problem on USPS Click 'N Ship, selecting mail service.

Judy Jones

Hi, All,

As I have done for years, I logged onto the USPS site, Click ‘N Ship, preparing to mail a package, only to find, now, that I was unable to select my mail service preference.

The dropdown is not a combo box, but an expandable buttons list.  The list expands, I can get to my selection, but pressing enter or spacebar does nothing.  Simply tabbing away from it takes me near the top of the page.

I have Windows 10 and the latest Jaws 21 update.

I’m wondering if this is a problem with the site, or if there is something else I can do with Jaws that I haven’t yet learned.

Thanks a ton for your help and advice.

Judy

🌄 (sunrise over mountains)

“embrace each day with His mercies and blessings.”

Have you tried turning off the virtual cursor and tabbing until you find the list? It is always good as well to give full details, e.g. version of Windows, version of Jaws as well as the browser and which version you are using.

As I have done for years, I logged onto the USPS site, Click ‘N Ship, preparing to mail a package, only to find, now, that I was unable to select my mail service preference.

The dropdown is not a combo box, but an expandable buttons list.  The list expands, I can get to my selection, but pressing enter or spacebar does nothing.  Simply tabbing away from it takes me near the top of the page.

I have Windows 10 and the latest Jaws 21 update.

I’m wondering if this is a problem with the site, or if there is something else I can do with Jaws that I haven’t yet learned.

Thanks a ton for your help and advice.

Judy

🌄 (sunrise over mountains)

“embrace each day with His mercies and blessings.”

Bill White

Hi, Judy. After pressing Space or Enter on your selection in the expandable buttons list, have you tried pressing JAWS key plus ESCAPE to refresh the screen buffer? Often, the screen changes, but JAWS does not reflect that change when you arrow or tab, until you refresh the buffer with JAWS Key plus ESCAPE.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

As I have done for years, I logged onto the USPS site, Click ‘N Ship, preparing to mail a package, only to find, now, that I was unable to select my mail service preference.

The dropdown is not a combo box, but an expandable buttons list.  The list expands, I can get to my selection, but pressing enter or spacebar does nothing.  Simply tabbing away from it takes me near the top of the page.

I have Windows 10 and the latest Jaws 21 update.

I’m wondering if this is a problem with the site, or if there is something else I can do with Jaws that I haven’t yet learned.

Thanks a ton for your help and advice.

Judy

🌄 (sunrise over mountains)

“embrace each day with His mercies and blessings.”

Judy Jones

So sorry, I know better.

Jaws 21.2107.12

Windows 10 version H2OS Build 1942.1165

Google Chrome is running the latest version, as there is no menu showing, since it updates itself.

I’ve worked and am familiar with routing to Jaws cursor or routing Jaws to PC, but am not familiar with navigating with virtual cursor turned off, the pros and such.

Please clarify.

Thanks.

Judy

[...]

Hi, Judy. To turn off virtual cursor,

Press JAWS key plus Z as in zebra. Then continue to tab as usual. With Virtual Cursor turned off, you will see very little information on the page, if any. Only TAB will help you to navigate.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Thanks very much for that, Bill.  Will try it and let you guys know.

Judy

[...]

Hi, Bill,

Once I do that, I’m just taken to the top of the screen again.

Judy

[...]

Hello,

When turning virtual cursor off, I was tabbing fine, then got stuck in a loop tabbing in the calendar, I couldn’t go down the page any further than that to where the service choices are.

Judy

[...]

Nothing much to clarify, just in some cases I can do things with the virtual cursor turned off which I can't do when it's turned on.

One example was with my previous bank's online business tax filing service. I have a retail business and have to submit monthly GST (a federal tax here in Canada) as well as PST (provincial sales tax to the provincial government). The first step is to select the account the money should come from, in this case my business chequing account. This is a combo box, but with the virtual cursor turned on opening the combo box either by pressing enter or Alt + Page Down seems to open it, but I can't select anything and Jaws does not speak my accounts. If I turn the virtual cursor off and tab a few times to get to that combo box I can then arrow down and select my chequing account, after that I turn the virtual cursor back on and all is well.